Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would You...

Would You...

...keep only two quarterbacks on the roster in order to hold DeCastro's spot, if he could make it back by December?

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

I might keep two QB's, but DD is done for the year IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I might keep two QB's, but DD is done for the year IMO.
    The team and coaches talked to the media about it a lot today. Decastro was in very upbeat about it all. He is going in for surgery Wednesday and is not expected to be IR'ed at this time.

By Jim Wexell - SteelCityInsider.net

Posted Aug 27, 2012

PITTSBURGH – Steelers coach Mike Tomlin had no update Monday on injured guard David DeCastro, other than the first-round draft pick will have knee surgery Wednesday and that Tomlin will update the local media Thursday night after the team’s final preseason game.

DeCastro was carted off the field Saturday night in Buffalo where he reportedly tore the MCL in his right knee, dislocated his kneecap, and suffered damage to his patellar tendon.

It all sounds serious, but reports are circulating the Steelers will not put DeCastro on the season-ending injured reserve list when final cuts are made Friday.

http://burgh.us/fth

I have little hope that DeCastro will play this year so no...I want three.

Regardless of whether we do it to keep a spot for Decastro or another reason, it all comes down to who your #3 is. If we are holding the spot for Batch then I would do it anyway for Saunders' spot. At his age, his brittle body, and his experience, it would not take him long to get back into the swing of things if called upon. I say keep him around as "Asst. QB coach" and in case he is needed we bring him back.

Legend
    Steelers may only need to keep Ben and Byron with Charlie on speed dial. The real question is do they keep JJ?

They could potentially keep just Ben and JJ with Charlie on speed dial and bring in Charlie if Ben ever gets hurt. But I would think they want to keep Byron around who's still relatively young by QB standards. Byron can step in and win if Ben ever goes down in a 1st Q and I think the team needs that in the backup QB.

So then the question is do you want to keep JJ around because you see long term potential?

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Steelers may only need to keep Ben and Byron with Charlie on speed dial. The real question is do they keep JJ?

They could potentially keep just Ben and JJ with Charlie on speed dial and bring in Charlie if Ben ever gets hurt. But I would think they want to keep Byron around who's still relatively young by QB standards. Byron can step in and win if Ben ever goes down in a 1st Q and I think the team needs that in the backup QB.

So then the question is do you want to keep JJ around because you see long term potential?
    No way would I cut Byron. A solid veteran backup QB is too nice of a luxury to throw it away.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    No way would I cut Byron. A solid veteran backup QB is too nice of a luxury to throw it away.
    I agree. IMO, the Steelers will keep three on the roster (Ben, Leftwich and Batch) and sign Johnson to the practice squad.

Pro Bowler
    I don't see the logic of keeping Batch when you have Lefty healthy going into the first game. Yes, if Ben gets hurt, you call Batch immediately. But you don't need 2 old brittle veterans sitting on the bench. If Ben and Lefty get hurt in a game...you stick in JJ and assume a loss. And frankly, if the injury to Ben is hypothetically long, just kiss the season goodbye and get a good draft pick, while playing the young guy. Cause you ain't winning a SB without Ben.