Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerrod Johnson to get extended look at quarterback

Legend

User Info Menu

Jerrod Johnson to get extended look at quarterback

Just like last week, expect to see even more of first-year QB Jerrod Johnson in the Pittsburgh Steelers preseason home opener.

Johnson, who went undrafted out of Texas A&M last season, played the entire second half in the Steelers' 24-23 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Aug. 9.

Tomlin indicated that is the plan again when Pittsburgh hosts the Indianapolis Colts Sunday.

"Even though he's been in an NFL training camp, I think he's only taken about four preseason snaps," Tomlin said. "We want to see what he is capable of, we want him get acclimated to an environment and give him a fair opportunity to see what he's capable of."

QB Ben Roethlisberger will start and Tomlin said the first-teamers will play "about twice as long" as they did against the Eagles.

Byron Leftwich will step in for Roethlisberger and finish the first half. He did not play last week; veteran Charlie Batch will take the Colts game off.

Johnson was 3 for 6 for 93 yards with no interceptions and touchdown pass to rookie Chris Rainey.

"He's a young guy that's showing the growth and development that young guys show," Tomlin said of Johnson. "He's had some good days and he's had some days where he's taken a step back or two."

Anyone's possible: Tomlin said he's not ruling any player out for the Colts game other than the four players who are on the PUP list or just were taken off it Friday. RB Isaac Redman said he won't play Sunday. RB Jonathan Dwyer said he will.

Happy returns: Rainey will again get the bulk of the punt and kick return opportunities early in the game. Tomlin said WRs David Gilreath and Marquis Maze also will see some return work.

[url]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19817466/steelers-jerrod-johnson-to-get-extended-look-at-quarterback[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Charlie Batch has a lot lower chance of getting hurt if he doesn't play...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Charlie Batch has a lot lower chance of getting hurt if he doesn't play...
    He could get a splinter from the bench

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

QB Johnson is someone you can root for

[url]http://www.heraldstandard.com/sports/local/qb-johnson-is-someone-you-can-root-for/article_1403d368-5526-59aa-94b9-9bc8e26b5810.html[/url]

Jim Wexell,

Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:00 am

LATROBE — Quarterback Jerrod Johnson lost his starting job after seven games of his senior season at Texas A&M.

Then he wasn’t drafted.

Then he joined a UFL team that went out of business.

Then he signed with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Then he was cut.

All of this happened in the space of 10 months, and probably about 13 months if you include the complete fall from preseason Heisman hopeful to out-of-work athlete.

But Johnson didn’t give up on his dream. He signed with the Steelers, and a year after being cut by the Eagles Johnson’s in line to play as much as the three other Steelers quarterbacks combined at the halfway point of the preseason.

Who is this guy?

And why is he going to play so much again Sunday night?

“He’s a guy that hasn’t had a bunch of in-game experience, particularly prior to this year,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said in preparation for Sunday night’s game against the Indianapolis Colts.

“Even though he’s been in an NFL training camp, I think he’s only taken about four preseason snaps. We want to see what he is capable of. We want him to get acclimated to an environment and give him a fair opportunity to see what he’s capable of.”

In the second half last week, Johnson threw only one impressive pass, a back-shoulder out to Tyler Beiler for 30 yards that set up a go-head field goal right after the two-minute warning.

Throughout the remainder of the game, Johnson completed 2 of 5 passes for 93 yards, including a screen pass to Chris Rainey that went 57 yards for a touchdown.

Most of Johnson’s incompletions that night were similar to his camp incompletions: butt ugly.

Still, Tomlin wants to see more.

“He’s a young guy that’s showing the growth and development that young guys show,” Tomlin said. “He’s had some good days and he’s had some days where he’s taken a step back or two.”

Tomlin said that “we’re looking at four candidates probably for three spots,” so he doesn’t want to make a mistake on Johnson, an imposing 6-foot-5, 251-pounder with exceptional mobility and a work ethic and personality that had Tomlin raving the first night of training camp.

Johnson was a highly regarded pro prospect before undergoing shoulder surgery in the spring of his senior season. He may have come back too soon because he lost velocity and accuracy, and he’s struggled with the latter at this camp.

But Tomlin refuses to give up on him, probably because he saw Johnson play on a Thanksgiving night in 2009 when the college football world watched open-mouthed at the athletic show put on my both Johnson and Colt McCoy.

Johnson passed for 342 yards and rushed for 97. McCoy passed for 304 and rushed for 175 in Texas’ 49-39 win. It set McCoy up to be drafted the following April, but Johnson – a coach’s son and dedicated Aggie – opted to return for his senior season. It may have been his undoing.

“After that game was the first time my shoulder started to hurt a little bit,” Johnson said Friday at St. Vincent College. “I had surgery on my rotator cuff that January. I rehabbed and came back my senior year and it just got sore again. I just wasn’t the same.”

Johnson said he fell for the preseason hype and “I worked a little bit too hard in the offseason. Once the season got there, it kind of gave out on me.”

Part of Tomlin’s patience in Johnson has to do with the fact Johnson took five months off after being cut by the Eagles to let his shoulder heal. Tomlin also wants to see what can happen if Johnson re-locates a consistent release point in his throwing motion.

“My shoulder hurt for so long and my throwing motion had become how it was when I was hurt,” Johnson said. “I got that time off to really kind of grind out how I was going to throw the ball and I got my throwing motion set now and I’m having the success I’m used to having.”

And so he’s being called upon to play the second half once again.

He was asked if this is his Super Bowl.

“Absolutely,” he said. “Those other guys have played so much football, man, and they’ve had great careers and they’re veterans, so our preseason minds are probably a little bit different. This is my opportunity to play. Any time I step on the field, especially in a game, I take it seriously. Hopefully it can be a breakout game for me. I’m going to go out there with confidence and guns blazing and try to put some points on the board.”

It’s been a rough couple of years for a player with loads of upside potential. Tomlin knows this and is willing to give him every last opportunity. It’s what coaches with patient bosses in stable organizations are afforded to do.

“He’s sharp, he’s attentive, he has the desire to be great, and he’s working extremely hard,” Tomlin said.

At least Jerrod Johnson will make the second half of the second preseason game worth watching. He has that kind of upside. And he’s the kind of person you root for.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Mike Tomlin

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Second-year QB Johnson looks to keep impressing

[url]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2430606-85/johnson-tomlin-camp-game-nfl-preseason-steelers-batch-colts-field[/url]

By Ralph N. Paulk

Published: Saturday, August 18, 2012,

Coach Mike Tomlin will take a longer look at his starters on Sunday night when the Steelers host the Indianapolis Colts at Heinz Field.

Tomlin, too, has higher expectations in Week 2 of the preseason. Admittedly, some players and certain positions will get more scrutiny as the Steelers try to rebound from a 24-23 loss in Philadelphia.

“We’re excited about getting after our second preseason game, more significantly our first one at home,” Tomlin said. “It’s significant for us, and I expect us to take a big step individually and collectively, particularly with our young people.”

Specifically, Tomlin will closely evaluate quarterback Jerrod Johnson. The second-year Texas A&M product is expected to close out the game against the Colts.

“That’s a plan we’ve approached going into this thing,” Tomlin said. “We want to give Johnson a lot of work, particularly in the first two games.

“He’s a guy who hasn’t had a bunch of in-game experience. I think, prior to this year, even though he’s been in preseason camp, he hasn’t taken but four or so preseason snaps.”

The 6-foot-5, 251-pound Johnson, who signed as a free agent shortly after the Steelers’ playoff loss in Denver, is trying to get his NFL career on track. He missed his entire rookie season after being released by the Eagles.

“Hopefully, we can put some points on the board and move the ball down field,” said Johnson, who tossed a 57-yard touchdown pass to running back Chris Rainey last week. “I’m excited about the opportunity to play, and I’m confident about having a chance to sling the ball around a little bit. I don’t have much experience in an NFL game.”

So far, he has been impressive during training camp. Surprisingly, he has thrust himself into position to compete with veteran Charlie Batch for the No. 3 job behind backup Byron Leftwich, who Tomlin said will not play Sunday.

“We want to get (Johnson) acclimated to the environment to give him a fair opportunity to show what he’s capable of doing,” Tomlin said. “He is a young guy who is showing some growth and development. He’s had some good days, and he’s had some days where he’s taken a step back or two.”

Tomlin is often a tough talent evaluator, but said Johnson is sharp, attentive and has a desire to be great. Johnson will relieve Batch, who has tutored him throughout training camp.

“All I can worry about is learning as much as I can from those guys,” said Johnson, who because of rotator cuff surgery surrendered his starting job to Miami’s No. 1 pick, Ryan Tannehill, during his senior year at Texas A&M. “At the end of the day, whatever decision the coaches make, I can live with it.

“I think I’ve done well, but there are definitely some things I can work on. I think I’m good enough to make this team, but it’s up to the coaches.”

Johnson has impressed the coaching staff with his understanding of ability to read coverage. Still, most of his lessons have come in the classroom and on the practice field.

Johnson has earned a chance to prove he belongs in the NFL. On the other hand, Batch and Leftwich have proved they can win.

“I was fortunate to learn a lot from an NFL guy like (Dolphins offensive coordinator) Mike Sherman while I was in college,” Johnson said. “From a mental aspect, on top of my physical gifts and athletic ability, I believe I deserve to be in the league.”

Molon labe

Mike Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Second-year QB Johnson looks to keep impressing

By Ralph N. Paulk
    Published: Saturday, August 18, 2012

Steelers quarterback Jerrod Johnson during practice at St. Vincent College Aug. 17, 2012.

Coach Mike Tomlin will take a longer look at his starters on Sunday night when the Steelers host the Indianapolis Colts at Heinz Field.

Tomlin, too, has higher expectations in Week 2 of the preseason. Admittedly, some players and certain positions will get more scrutiny as the Steelers try to rebound from a 24-23 loss in Philadelphia.

“We’re excited about getting after our second preseason game, more significantly our first one at home,” Tomlin said. “It’s significant for us, and I expect us to take a big step individually and collectively, particularly with our young people.”

Specifically, Tomlin will closely evaluate quarterback Jerrod Johnson. The second-year Texas A&M product is expected to close out the game against the Colts.

“That’s a plan we’ve approached going into this thing,” Tomlin said. “We want to give Johnson a lot of work, particularly in the first two games.

“He’s a guy who hasn’t had a bunch of in-game experience. I think, prior to this year, even though he’s been in preseason camp, he hasn’t taken but four or so preseason snaps.”

The 6-foot-5, 251-pound Johnson, who signed as a free agent shortly after the Steelers’ playoff loss in Denver, is trying to get his NFL career on track. He missed his entire rookie season after being released by the Eagles.

“Hopefully, we can put some points on the board and move the ball down field,” said Johnson, who tossed a 57-yard touchdown pass to running back Chris Rainey last week. “I’m excited about the opportunity to play, and I’m confident about having a chance to sling the ball around a little bit. I don’t have much experience in an NFL game.”

So far, he has been impressive during training camp. Surprisingly, he has thrust himself into position to compete with veteran Charlie Batch for the No. 3 job behind backup Byron Leftwich, who Tomlin said will not play Sunday.

“We want to get (Johnson) acclimated to the environment to give him a fair opportunity to show what he’s capable of doing,” Tomlin said. “He is a young guy who is showing some growth and development. He’s had some good days, and he’s had some days where he’s taken a step back or two.”

Tomlin is often a tough talent evaluator, but said Johnson is sharp, attentive and has a desire to be great. Johnson will relieve Batch, who has tutored him throughout training camp.

“All I can worry about is learning as much as I can from those guys,” said Johnson, who because of rotator cuff surgery surrendered his starting job to Miami’s No. 1 pick, Ryan Tannehill, during his senior year at Texas A&M. “At the end of the day, whatever decision the coaches make, I can live with it.

“I think I’ve done well, but there are definitely some things I can work on. I think I’m good enough to make this team, but it’s up to the coaches.”

Johnson has impressed the coaching staff with his understanding of ability to read coverage. Still, most of his lessons have come in the classroom and on the practice field.

Johnson has earned a chance to prove he belongs in the NFL. On the other hand, Batch and Leftwich have proved they can win.

“I was fortunate to learn a lot from an NFL guy like (Dolphins offensive coordinator) Mike Sherman while I was in college,” Johnson said. “From a mental aspect, on top of my physical gifts and athletic ability, I believe I deserve to be in the league.”

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2430606-85/johnson-tomlin-camp-game-nfl-preseason-steelers-batch-colts-field[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure what to think about the guy. Anyone have any articles that they can post about him?
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Starter

User Info Menu

Pleeeaaaassssse be the guy who can put Batch out to pasture.

don't get me wrong. I like Batch.

But A.-There can only be one(apparently), and...

B.-I would like to have that game day active spot on the roster go to something other than our 3rd string QB.

Give 'em hell JJ!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Not sure what to think about the guy. Anyone have any articles that they can post about him?
    Look and see for your self

Molon labe

Mike Tomlin

Backup

User Info Menu

I guess this means we will be 0-2 to start the preseason...Seriously though, he did not look very good last week....I have never seen a professional QB bounce some many passes to his receivers....

I hope he has a good game and can at least compete for a roster spot...we need to add some youth to the backup QB positions. I would much rather see we stop all this nonsense with wanting a Slash type QB threat on the roster. Go find a pocket passer that we can develop as an eventually replacement to Ben. At least someone that we would feel comfortable playing for an extended duration if Ben was injured that isnt over the age of 40...

SF