Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: No Not Decastro

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    season over? Uh... I don't think so.
    Even after years of watching football some folks never learn.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter
    Steelers first-round pick David DeCastro has a torn medial collateral ligament but the team is unsure whether he tore his anterior cruciate ligament. DeCastro is scheduled to undergo an MRI at lunchtime to determine the severity of the injury. If it's just a torn MCL, he would be expected to miss about half of this season. If it's a torn MCL and ACL he likely would miss the full season. http://say.ly/tKD42Wg

----------------------------------------------------------------

MCL is NO joke, but I sure am hoping that's what it is right now. If you come back too early from an MCL injury, it can be a lingering season-long injury. Just look a Troy a couple years back.

David DeCastro has torn MCL

Updated: August 26, 2012, 9:30 AM ET
    By Adam Schefter | ESPN
    Email
    Print

Pittsburgh Steelers first-round pick David DeCastro has a torn medial collateral ligament but the team is unsure whether he tore his anterior cruciate ligament, a high-level team source said Sunday morning.

DeCastro, a right guard, is scheduled to undergo an MRI at lunchtime to determine the severity of the injury.

If it's just a torn MCL, he would be expected to miss about half of the 2012 season. If it's a torn MCL and ACL he likely would miss the entire season.

The Steelers are hopeful that because doctors did not detect a torn ACL on Saturday night, the MRI will reveal the same -- but they anxiously are awaiting the results.

DeCastro was hurt while pass blocking as Pittsburgh faced third-and-8 at its 6-yard line on its second possession in Saturday night's preseason game against the Buffalo Bills. DeCastro's right leg twisted beneath him after being bowled over by defensive tackle Marcell Dareus.

DeCastro, the 24th overall selection out of Stanford who started Saturday's game over Ramon Foster, lay in the end zone for a few minutes as trainers worked on his leg. He briefly got up on his own, but was unable to put any weight on his right leg. He took a few hops before trainers stopped him and called for a cart.

Quote Originally Posted by bayz101 View Post
    Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter
    Steelers first-round pick David DeCastro has a torn medial collateral ligament but the team is unsure whether he tore his anterior cruciate ligament. DeCastro is scheduled to undergo an MRI at lunchtime to determine the severity of the injury. If it's just a torn MCL, he would be expected to miss about half of this season. If it's a torn MCL and ACL he likely would miss the full season. http://say.ly/tKD42Wg

----------------------------------------------------------------

MCL is NO joke, but I sure am hoping that's what it is right now. If you come back too early from an MCL injury, it can be a lingering season-long injury. Just look a Troy a couple years back.
    I agree 100% and I'm holding out hope that it's "only" an MCL. Put him on the PUP and have him back for the stretch run. Thanks for posting the tweet...I've been looking for some type of word on this since it happened.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Legend
    I thought it was just an MCL the way it got hit from the outside. I would have thought his foot would have needed to have been planted and twisted to get the ACL and that didn't seem to be the case. But I haven't seen the replay.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I agree 100% and I'm holding out hope that it's "only" an MCL. Put him on the PUP and have him back for the stretch run. Thanks for posting the tweet...I've been looking for some type of word on this since it happened.
    You can watch the play in which he was injured on here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...headline_stack

You can't really see much, though.

an MCL tear may heal in anywhere from 4-8 weeks. With the high class medical treatment and rehab a professional football players receives, I would hope that it shouldn't take more than 6 weeks. Certainly I expect to see him wearing a knee orthosis the rest of the season and possibly into next year...basically the metal uprights on the inside and outside of the brace will give the knee the sideways stability lost from the ligament injury. It is much easier to control and stabilize that motion than it is the front-back motion from an ACL tear. There is a fairly definitive and easy to conduct test for ACL/PCL injuries, so if there was a complete tear of the ACL then the team doctors should have been able to identify it without the MRI.

If this is just an MCL injury then Decastro and the Steelers got majorly lucky.

Hall of Famer

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    an MCL tear may heal in anywhere from 4-8 weeks. With the high class medical treatment and rehab a professional football players receives, I would hope that it shouldn't take more than 6 weeks. Certainly I expect to see him wearing a knee orthosis the rest of the season and possibly into next year...basically the metal uprights on the inside and outside of the brace will give the knee the sideways stability lost from the ligament injury. It is much easier to control and stabilize that motion than it is the front-back motion from an ACL tear. There is a fairly definitive and easy to conduct test for ACL/PCL injuries, so if there was a complete tear of the ACL then the team doctors should have been able to identify it without the MRI.

If this is just an MCL injury then Decastro and the Steelers got majorly lucky.
    I hope you are right and wonder if the D stands for doctor.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I hope you are right and wonder if the D stands for doctor.
    hahaha no it doesn't...I am an orthotist though, so I've got some insight into these things that hopefully wont be proven wrong here in the near future.

I was at the game...saw it on the big screen.

I did my 1st 2 yrs in college as an athletic trainer. I'm about 90% right on injuries projections merely from observation.

From what I saw:
    - Looking at the direction from where he took the hit....Not good on the MCL but only a slight chance of an ACL tear.
    - unlike a lot of ligaments, the ACL has a lot of blood flow to it. Initial swelling is present and a trainer would have NEVER let him stand up if he saw the swelling. He would have been lifted onto the CART.
    - He was in a lot of Pain, something more common from an MCL tear...but that wouldn't negate the fact that the ACL was torn too.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!