Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Everest out as ST coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    My suspicion is that this has nothing to do with job performance.
    the FG that was almost blocked at the end of the game where the Colts linemen simply hurdled our OL who didn't even attempt to move might have started the argument though...

Everest: 'Professional differences' reason Steelers fired him

Posted Aug. 24, 2012
    By Eric Edholm

Former Steelers special-teams coach Al Everest, who was let go by the club Thursday, told Pro Football Weekly Friday morning that the move was because of "professional differences" with the club.

Everest would not specify further on the matter, saying, "Itís a professional differences deal. Iíll proceed from here. Thatís where it is right now."

It's highly unusual for teams to fire coaches in the middle of the preseason. When asked about the curious timing and whether he was surprised by the move, Everest said, "It was a surprise for me, but the bottom line is that it was about professional differences."

The Steelers promoted assistant special-teams coach Amos Jones to replace Everest. The team issued a statement from head coach Mike Tomlin on the move. It read: "We are continually evaluating our coaching staff and support staff, and we have decided to go in a different direction with respect to the coaching of our special teams. I want to thank Al for his contributions and efforts, and I wish him well in the future."

Everest wouldn't specifically say what his next move would be or if he had any recourse, but hinted that he might have taken issue with the firing.

"I've got to pursue my course of action, and theyíve obviously taken theirs," Everest said. "Hopefully it works itself out."

Everest was hired by the Steelers prior to the 2010 season, mere days after being let go by the 49ers, a move that was considered a surprise at the time. When asked about his firing in San Francisco, Everest declined to comment.

Everest helped the Steelers' special-teams units improve in '10 when they reached Super Bowl XLV but lost to the Packers. He was set to enter his 16th season in the NFL.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...son-steelers-f

Al Everest Firing Brings Up Past Preseason Coordinator Changes

by Neal Coolong on Aug 24, 2012

One doesn't need to look very far outside Pittsburgh to see previous mid-preseason coordinator changes.

As Tribune-Review reporter Alan Robinson points out, Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley fired his offensive coordinator, Chan Gailey, in his first season as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. Haley, though, is an offensive-minded coach and was coming off a successful offensive coordinator stint in Arizona in 2008. Clearly, philosophical differences could - and probably did - exist. Haley gave Gailey three preseason games, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin gave Everest two games.

And Tomlin replaced Everest in-house, promoting Amos Jones from the assistant position. Curiously, Robinson wrote "Everest was abruptly fired as special teams coordinator following practice Thursday and replaced by his assistant, Amos Jones, who already was doing much of the on-field coaching."

Is that to suggest Everest was pulling a Peter Gibbons in Office Space? Were the Bobs not on site to protect Everest from Tomlin's wrath?

The timing is interesting, but where there's smoke, there's fire. The Steelers' punt returns so far in preseason haven't been even remotely impressive. As a group - Marquis Maze and Chris Rainey - are averaging four yards a return.

While that isn't going to make many coaches happy, there have been two preseason games, and both of the returners they've used are rookies. Everest's coverage and return teams have been around average - 12th in kick coverage, 16th in punt coverage, no returns longer than 45 yards. In other words, his teams have shown positive results during the regular season, and after two years of that, it seems confusing Everest would be on his way out, unless there was a legitimate beef between Everest and at least one other member of the coaching staff.

Maybe it had something to do with who was returning kicks. Maybe we'll see different players back there Saturday against Buffalo.

Either way, let's hope a shake-up produces better results in at least currently substandard punt return game. They'll have to be prepared, because clearly Tomlin doesn't feel preseason results don't matter.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...os-jones-hired

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    the FG that was almost blocked at the end of the game where the Colts linemen simply hurdled our OL who didn't even attempt to move might have started the argument though...
    My gut reaction was that half the line shouldn't have a roster spot after that play. It was the worst special teams effort I have ever witnessed in my life.

Thanks for connecting the dots, but this seems so bad that someone should pay for that play.

So my question is was that play the beginning of the end, or just another nail in his coffin?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Is that to suggest Everest was pulling a Peter Gibbons in Office Space? Were the Bobs not on site to protect Everest from Tomlin's wrath?
    That's awesome. Perhaps Kapinos got hurt because Everest was suggesting that he kick like Samir?

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta...

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware