Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What I think a lot of fans are thinking

Starter

User Info Menu

What I think a lot of fans are thinking

1. Dwyer is the Steeler's best back.

No need to comment on this there is a 15 page thread here already.

2. Baron Batch is game and versatile but will probably not make the final 53.

Probably true. B. Batch can do it all, but his pass catching is probably his strongest asset. Now that the Steeler's have Rainey who will be taking those plays this limits his value.

3. Adams is making too many mistakes.

Yes! But some of them seem really unnecessary. For example: He has the guy blocked and stopped and the guy tries to slip around him either inside or outside. So what! All he had to do was take a freaking step one way or the other and still have the angle on the guy or push him out. I am more worried about his head than anything else.

4. When the 1st team D is out there a lot of players are watching and waiting for James Harrison to make the play. When the 2nd team D is out there everyone is waiting for James Harrison to make the play.

Tip: JHar is not out there right now!

5. They don't seem to care which one of the numerous WR's takes charge of the 5th slot.

One day it's Williams, today it was Gilreath, another day it is Clemons, some like Beiler, the others have not been seen at all. Who is Jimmy Young? I really like that name but have been looking and looking and have not seen or heard a word about him.

Frankly, I doubt if any will really see the field anyhow, unless whoever makes the team is also a really good ST player.

6. If Harrison and Woodley are not out there and in peak condition there is big trouble.

No comment!

7. Jerrod Johnson should make the team.

His play last week warranted it. But, everyone is saying it is Charlie Batch who is cut. Are they sure?

8. Many are saying it is going to be hard to finalize the LB corp. May have to keep 9 or more.

Okay, but after the starting 4 when all are healthy, it seems the next 8 are interchangeable.

9. Everyone likes Spence. Me too.

10. Foster really is working hard and playing everywhere. At the very least he will be a most valuable 6th guy.

Incidentally, in the game Sunday, on Dwyers yet another nice run I noticed that Foster sealed off and blocked #53 for Indy. This guy was running loose and unblocked forever. This mystified me. It was like he was invisible. Here the freaking Steelers are a 3-4 team and how they would let the guy who I think was playing in Farriors spot for us last year go unblocked forever is beyond me. Can anyone explain this? No wonder our successful running plays are so rare. I'm beginning to think this Dwyer guy is a magician. Since he does somehow find room. Well actually on play 1 he had to slip through 3 tackles in the backfield to get 3 yards. This amazed me!

Anyone know who will start at RB in Buffalo?

Legend

User Info Menu

Plus I would add:

11. Many fans think we don't have a problem at TE.

Sure, Heath is the clear #1 but then what. Pope seems less than advertised. Who knows if the team will stick with Saunders. Peelle just got here. McCoy is more an H-back. Paulson is more a big WR. Most interesting cuts.

12. Many fans are starting to realize that our Defensive Line may have more talent and depth than our Linebackers.

LB could be a problem this season if some folks don't get and then stay healthy. That is a major problem for a 3-4 team. We seem to have 8-9 defensive linemen who could be solid NFL players.

13. Cortez Allen may be better than we ever hoped sooner than we ever hoped.

IMO Allen has outplayed Lewis from Day 1. Will we see the typical default to the player in the system the longest or will talent win out this time? Curtis Brown has not played up to his potential this preseason. he needs to step it up.

14. Everyone likes Spence (me too) but can he really play ILB at the NFL level as an every down player

I think whether he can be an every down player is still to be decided. He is obviously smart and does some good things but has seemed overpowered at time.

15. For all the criticism he gets Timmons may be our best, most reliable LB.

Woodley is inconsistent and gets nagging injuries (Probably the result of a true 4-3 DE playing 3-4 OLB), Harrison's body may be failing him. Timmons may be Mr. Reliable at LB. He may not get the splash plays, however that may be the result of what he is asked to do. Some fans will always hate him and he will never be good enough but the reality is that he may be the best we have.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

If Zach Thomas can make it, Spence can make it...

Legend

User Info Menu

Not even close. Mendenhall and Redman are way more complete backs than Dwyer.

2. Baron Batch is game and versatile but will probably not make the final 53.

Sure, Rainey can catch passes, but at his size, the only effective block he can attempt is to dive for the opponent's legs (if he tries to man up on a defender, he'll get flattened). Rainey and Batch are two completely different type of players...Rainey is a scatback/slot receiver in the Eric Metcalf mold, while Batch can function in the Mewelde Moore role here. For Ben's safety, we need a 3rd down RB who can protect him from any blitzers that come free.

3. Adams is making too many mistakes.

He's a project. He has the raw ability to be a good player, but that will likely be down the road, not now. Thank god the team came to their senses and re-signed Max Starks before another team did.

4. When the 1st team D is out there a lot of players are watching and waiting for James Harrison to make the play. When the 2nd team D is out there everyone is waiting for James Harrison to make the play.

LeBeau isn't scheming at all in preseason. It's completely vanilla so far. No worries.

5. They don't seem to care which one of the numerous WR's takes charge of the 5th slot.

This decision will be more about who Al Everest likes most as opposed to who Scottie Montgomery likes most.

6. If Harrison and Woodley are not out there and in peak condition there is big trouble.

Chris Carter seems to have improved by leaps and bounds, and Adrian Robinson may be another UDFA find. But neither is Harrison or Woodley right now. Our defense should be dominant with both of them in peak condition. Our defense should still be solid if only one of them is in peak condition. If neither is in peak condition, we fall back into the average range.

7. Jerrod Johnson should make the team.

I think Johnson should make the practice squad. We may still cut Batch and start the season with only Ben and Lefty (assuming he doesn't get hurt in the preseason again) on the active roster, because we will need room on the 53 man roster since Mendenhall and Hampton are off the PUP (but still unlikely to be able to play at the start of the season).

8. Many are saying it is going to be hard to finalize the LB corp. May have to keep 9 or more.

I'd keep Woodley, Foote, Timmons, Harrison as my starters, Worilds, Sylvester, Spence, and Carter as backups, and likely Robinson as a 9th LB considering his performance so far and the ongoing injury issues with Harrison and Worilds.

9. Everyone likes Spence. Me too.

Me three. He'll likely only see special teams duties early on, and maybe some nickel or dime specialty duty later in the season. He won't sniff the starting lineup as a rookie unless we are debilitated by injuries.

10. Foster really is working hard and playing everywhere. At the very least he will be a most valuable 6th guy.

The fact that he showed himself to be a competant tackle this week likely will earn him a helmet on gameday. You know that Legursky will be active because of his ability to play center and guard, but I assumed that Adams would be the other active lineman on gameday (if Starks and Gilbert start at tackle), but Ramon's experience and versatility will allow him to dress while we marinate Adams on the inactive list early on in his Steeler career.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Great points men! I keep wondering if Keenan Lewis with his size would be an option at Safety. We need some depth back there and he could be that safety that can actually cove
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Starter

User Info Menu

Oviedo said:

13. C. Allen was hand picked by Lake. He may be more valuable in the nickel. It gives him more freedom to improvise. Sort of an extra Troy on the field. My guess here he is being groomed to be the next Troy or the next Clark.

C. Brown is working his way down to #11. The Steelers keep 10 DB's. This will probably save him.

11. Tomlin pays a lot of attention to Wes Saunders. I would be shocked if he is not kept. Miller, Saunders----??

Have you seen one shred of light for the newer guys Will Johnson, and Jamie McCoy. Have they actually blocked anyone? The Steelers keep at least 3. Who are your 3?

Two more pre-season games. There still seems to be a few areas of concern. Does anyone have any solutions?

Oh, glad you mentioned Saunders. Since he is on the 4 game suspension. I forgot how it was handled when Big Ben was suspended. Are they counted in the 53, or is their some kind of allowance made? That is important to know to figure out what to do with the TE's for the opener.

Hmm! It does seem like a lot of negatives are being pointed out. Actually, there are really only a few. But still these finalizing details have to be taken care of. The numerous positives are already there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Oviedo said:

13. C. Allen was hand picked by Lake. He may be more valuable in the nickel. It gives him more freedom to improvise. Sort of an extra Troy on the field. My guess here he is being groomed to be the next Troy or the next Clark.

C. Brown is working his way down to #11. The Steelers keep 10 DB's. This will probably save him.

11. Tomlin pays a lot of attention to Wes Saunders. I would be shocked if he is not kept. Miller, Saunders----??

Have you seen one shred of light for the newer guys Will Johnson, and Jamie McCoy. Have they actually blocked anyone? The Steelers keep at least 3. Who are your 3?

Two more pre-season games. There still seems to be a few areas of concern. Does anyone have any solutions?

Oh, glad you mentioned Saunders. Since he is on the 4 game suspension. I forgot how it was handled when Big Ben was suspended. Are they counted in the 53, or is their some kind of allowance made? That is important to know to figure out what to do with the TE's for the opener.

Hmm! It does seem like a lot of negatives are being pointed out. Actually, there are really only a few. But still these finalizing details have to be taken care of. The numerous positives are already there.
    Saunders will not be counted against the 53 until he returns and then they will have to release someone.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Donte Hightower becomes a yearly fixture at the NFL Pro-bowl, I'm gonna be pi$$ed... haha- then again, what the hell can a fan do about it anyways.... We clearly are thin at LB...
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Thank you Ruthless for a reasonable objective opinion...

Not even close. Mendenhall and Redman are way more complete backs than Dwyer.

Dwyer couldn't shine Mendenhalls cleats. Mendenhall has been running behind possible the worst NFL OL for his entire career. Give this guy some holes and watch him rip off a 1500 yard season. He is a complete back. Redman is a beast, and makes his own holes and has proven he can make his own yardage without the help from the OL. Dwyer hasn't proven anything other than he can't stay healthy, and he can break off some runs in the preseason against vanilla D's.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ouch. Worst OL.. That's a bit of a stretch. Yea, they've been average, but not 32nd out of 32 teams. I'd say, somewhere in the middle- which is what average would be... But yeah, Mendenhall and Redman are the best 2 backs on the roster- not Dwyer- who?
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion