Thread: Preseason Vanilla play calling

Backup

User Info Menu

Preseason Vanilla play calling

Seems like every year everyone is in agreement that we should not worry about the problems on the offense and defense during the preseason because the coordinators are "saving their stuff" for the regular season. How much of it is truth and how much is it used to make ourselves feel better about the upcoming season? Just curious to hear your thoughts...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Im against worrying about those problems ever, they will always exist because nothing is perfect. Our team wins games and that makes me happy.

Regarding the vanilla play calling, id say the coach are more likely just trying certain personnel in different situations without regard to the outcome.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

why would we want to show our cards to future opponents such as the Broncos regarding what we're gonna do offensively?

let them find out 9/9...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Even if it is vanilla play calling, shouldn't the players be able to execute the plays better than they do?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Even if it is vanilla play calling, shouldn't the players be able to execute the plays better than they do?

Pappy
    of course they should, but like the saying goes the guys on the other side of the line of scrimmage get paid too.

this is how coaches evaluate players and 53-man rosters are formed...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

While the majority of the play calling is vanilla I do think certain plays are called to evaluate how individual players handle specific situations. For example, how does Maze run an end around or can Robinson drop back into coverage instead of just rush.

What I've often wondered is why they don't slip in one or two players that are on the bubble to play with the first stringers in a preseason game. I would think that would give them a better evaluation on what the player can do.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!