Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the Adams backers?

Legend

User Info Menu

Where are all the Adams backers?

Two preseason games, two "fails".

Hopefully it is a case of a guy thinking too much, but I can't remember the last time I have seen a lineman perform this poorly (outside of Essux). How many believe he will realistically be ready even by midseason?
    Somebody that is knowledgeable about line play please give us some sign that things will be OK. Otherwise we are looking at a 2nd round bust of the magnitude of Alonzo Jackson...
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 08-20-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

tap the brakes.

its been two preseason games. I still love the pick. What did you expect from a 2nd round draft choice?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    tap the brakes.

its been two preseason games. I still love the pick. What did you expect from a 2nd round draft choice?
    something a little better than 4 sacks given up on less than a dozen plays....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

eh. Let him get adjusted to the speed of the game.

his run blocking has been above the line from what I can tell. That's something.

Legend

User Info Menu

I say we cut him
    If he cant get with the program after 2 preseason games I'm sure he will never get it.
    Can you say Jermaine Stephens II.

BTW, sarcasm^^^
    Hopefully the OP will realize how foolish his post is and try and refrain from such posts in the future

Legend

User Info Menu

The OP was trying to point out those that thought Adams could be in the starting lineup by week 4. Based on a sample size of 2, I think this is unlikely.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I thought you were the OP?

/Anyway, some guys take a bit longer as rookies. Why worry about it at this point? How many rookies started on the OL in game 1? He's got time to adjust to the speed. He may be a bit shell shocked. We don't have any real data except that he's a slow starter so far.

Backup

User Info Menu

He's gonna be okay. Like Eddie said, his run blocking is good now. His biggest issue pass blocking is maintaining his position relative to the QB's position in the pocket. An OL must make his pass set so that his rear end is pointed at the QB, and be directly between the QB and the rusher. In the sacks he has given up, it has been right off the set - either setting too far upfield on a short drop, or setting up too short on a deep drop. That tells me he isn't familiar with the play calls and resulting protection calls yet.

He has the physical tools - feet, size, & strength. Let's give him a chance to see if he has the mental make-up to succeed.

Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Legend

User Info Menu

The one positive I see is he doesn't give up. He gets beat like crazy but he doesn't quit. A lot of guys quit when they get beat. That says to me, he's getting beat on the mental aspect of the game.

The guy's got size and agility. And guys with his size/agility don't grow on trees. So I think we'll just have to wait and see where he is in a year.

I didn't really like him coming out of college and he was the one pick in the draft I liked the least. But he's surprised me with a little fight in him. I like his attitude. I just hope we don't have to use him or Ben might die.

The one other thing to consider is when you're moving linemen around and the communication breaks down, one guys mistake on the line can make other guys around them look worse.

So if we can get some stability with Max, Pouncey, and Gilbert. Work Colon and DD into the mix, we might have some consistency going into next year. Then with that stability, maybe it makes it easier to add in Adams next year or later in the season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The only people disappointed with Adams are those who expect him to START this year.
    I expect him to be the 3rd backup . . . hence why they brought Max Starks back which makes GILBERT #2 on the depth chart at LT
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!