Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preseason wins don't matter....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Preseason wins don't matter....

....but it was still nice for the fellas to eek out a W, regardless.

Just when the Steelers were making Luck look like a rookie, and I was texting my friends saying so, the kid starts looking like the best rookie QB since Dan Marino. I think Luck is everything advertised. How "lucky" Colt fans are to go from Manning to this guy, without any crap in between (other than last year). You can't convince me that their owner orchestrated them, however that would be done, to stink enough to get the 1st pick over all. You stink for one year in order to have the next 12 years with a franchise QB.

I thought the defense really looked good until Luck tore them to pieces in the 2nd Q. I still think our D will be just fine. And that was with missing major studs like Harrison out there.

Dwyer will be our bread and butter back. I have been saying this since we drafted him but the stars didn't align until now. But he is going to be the man. Watch and see. Yea, on his runs it sure appears that the OL is making holes, but, he still has the perfect timing on hitting them at the right time. He reminds me of watching Gore for SF: doesn't appear all that overly fast, etc. but just KNOWS how to run the ball with the instincts of when to run where. JD has that.

Do you think Rainey will adapt to the hard hits of the NFL? I have seen small guys go one to two ways: They wilt under the physicality of the NFL or they some how can handle it when other guys their size simply can't take it - the Warrick Dunns, Sproles of the league. Just when it looked like Rainey was tearing it up, a DB rocked his world. If that is what a DB can do to him, he might not cut it for ever long in this league, but the encouraging news was he did get back in the game after that hit, so the jury is still out with him. I don't know who that DB was (CB or safety?) but he jacked him up.

A. Brown is a freaking baller, period, end of story. It's nice to see that he still is giving full effort even after signing a huge contract. Now there is a case of a fairly small dude still playing huge. His lean frame doesn't hinder him a bit from making plays. Thank God we have AB, finding him in the 5th round to boot. Great F---g scouting to nab that guy in the 5th. Way to go, scouts.

Wallace is due to report any day. If they only have him for one more year, and season he has to come up big for a huge next deal, then so be it. I think Pgh is a legit contender to win it all this season, if they stay relatively healthy in key spots, including Ben, Troy, Harrison, Woodley, Brown, Dwyer, Pouncey, etc.

DeCastro will be a stud; I don't care if he didn't start off playing at a probowl level day one. He is progressing and will be everything as advertised - I have no doubts about it.

Charlie Batch, career over. Please don't start the season with him being on the active roster. Let's not be crazy now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think Dwyer will be our 'bread & butter back'. The comparison to go ends with physical dimensions. Gore is an ultra-tough SOB. Dwyer taps on his helmet every game I watch him.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sure Luck is as good as everyone is saying. On many sideline routes, he made some weak throws that turned into INTs (2 but could have been 3).

He's a big kid. Seems smart. Cool in the pocket. A little mobile. Accurate. Has the intangibles. But I'm not convinced he has the strongest arm. And that could limit what he's capable of doing. He'll probably get better. Make different decisions. I'm just not sure he's gonna be able to make some of the throws guys like Ben, Cutler, etc. can make ie. the guys with the really strong arms.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I'm not saying Luck won't be good, but lets not anoint him yet. He faced a crappy Rams D in preseason and an injury riddled Steelers D in preseason. Yea, Collinsworth rambled on about how it was the "#1 D last year", but last night's D was not last year's D.

Dwyer did look good, but he has only gotten opportunity through injury. Dwyer still has much to prove before he earns a spot ahead of a healthy I-Red or healthy Mendy. In fact, I suspect that with a stronger line and an OC with some nose for running the ball that we will see a whole different Mendy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'm not sure Luck is as good as everyone is saying. On many sideline routes, he made some weak throws that turned into INTs (2 but could have been 3).

He's a big kid. Seems smart. Cool in the pocket. A little mobile. Accurate. Has the intangibles. But I'm not convinced he has the strongest arm. And that could limit what he's capable of doing. He'll probably get better. Make different decisions. I'm just not sure he's gonna be able to make some of the throws guys like Ben, Cutler, etc. can make ie. the guys with the really strong arms.
    His arm is plenty strong enough. You know who has a weaker arm the AL? Drew Brees. And all he did was break Marino's record for most passing yards in one season, in the history of the NFL. If you have anticipation and accuracy, you don't need a cannon. And if this kid isn't all that, how did he tear apart our #1 D in the 2nd Q?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pops8 View Post
    I'm not saying Luck won't be good, but lets not anoint him yet. He faced a crappy Rams D in preseason and an injury riddled Steelers D in preseason. Yea, Collinsworth rambled on about how it was the "#1 D last year", but last night's D was not last year's D.

Dwyer did look good, but he has only gotten opportunity through injury. Dwyer still has much to prove before he earns a spot ahead of a healthy I-Red or healthy Mendy. In fact, I suspect that with a stronger line and an OC with some nose for running the ball that we will see a whole different Mendy.
    I don't share the optimism on RM. I have a feeling JD will make the same OL, that RM makes look crappy, look quite good in comparison.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Make different decisions. I'm just not sure he's gonna be able to make some of the throws guys like Ben, Cutler, etc. can make ie. the guys with the really strong arms.
    BTW, all that Cutler has done with his huge, cannon arm is never win a play off game, proof that having a big gun is only a part of the over all QB picture. Arguably, the greatest QB of all time, Montana, had a very so-so powered arm.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sorry guys, but have to agree with the hype on Luck (at least to this point). The guy had great presence, knew where to throw the ball and had some incredible touch. The 'almost' interceptions were as much about how he was able to squeeze the ball into a small zone as it was the defense being in the right position to make a play. Will the story change once there is 'tape' on the guy? perhaps, but he had incredible poise for a guy playing in his 2nd NFL game.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I don't think Dwyer will be our 'bread & butter back'. The comparison to go ends with physical dimensions. Gore is an ultra-tough SOB. Dwyer taps on his helmet every game I watch him.
    True so far; I am hoping that JD knows the time is NOW to prove he can ball for that next big contract. Let's not forget, as a th rounder, he has never got that big check yet. If he is EVER going to toughen up and make it happen, it's now. I am hoping he makes it happen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Luck is going to be great . . . . but the only way Dwyer takes over Redman's job is due to injury.
    Dwyer will be a nice change of pace guy, but Redman will be able to take the bulk of the carries.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!