Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lolley: Initial thoughts from the Colts game

Legend

User Info Menu

Lolley: Initial thoughts from the Colts game

Initial thoughts from the Colts game

posted by Dale Lolley
    MONDAY, AUGUST 20, 2012

The first-team offense and defense both looked pretty good against the Colts in their first extensive action.

Ben Roethlisberger threw a bad pick and Chris Rainey fumbled - he might be too small for the beating he'll take in the NFL - but, overall, it wasn't a bad showing.

The Steelers came into this game trying to work on their running game a little bit - they wanted to give Willie Colon an opportunity to pull - and were effective doing that.

The defense gave up a drive, but it also put seven points on the board. And remember, they weren't throwing a lot of different stuff at the Colts defensively, so even that one drive might have been avoided in the regular season with an exotic blitz or two.

@ It was a preseason game, so the main thing was to get out of it unscathed, which the Steelers did.

@ Rookie punter Drew Butler didn't have the kind of game he did against Philadelphia, but he was solid, averaging 44.8 yards per attempt.

@ How bout the hands on Ike Taylor?

I've covered Ike since his start here and don't remember him coming out of a break too many times and actually catching the ball.

@ Guys who helped themselves:

David Gilreath led the team with four receptions for 78 yards working against a team that had him on its practice squad in 2011. (Point of interest, Gilreath is sharing a locker with some guy who wears No. 17. Didn't see that player here though).

Jerrod Johnson looked much more comfortable at QB, completing 4 of 5 passes for 65 yards and scrambling three times for 11 more yards. Was poised during the game-winning field goal drive.

Justin Peelle caught one pass for 21 yards and isn't Leonard Pope.

Jonathan Dwyer rushed eight times for 43 yards, including a 23 yarder. Didn't get hurt.

Guys who didn't help themselves:

Kelvin Beachum had two more penalties. I know he's wearing 68, but that doesn't mean he has to play like Chris Kemoeatu as well.

Chris Rainey lost a fumble. That was the knock against him at Florida - too small to play in the NFL - and losing fumbles isn't going to help. He's not in danger of being cut, but he's not helping his cause to be a bigger part of the offense.

Marquis Maze averaged just 1.5 yards on a pair of punt returns. He really needed to do something special and failed to do so.

Leonard Pope completely whiffed on his block on Antonio Brown's touchdown catch and run. Don't know what he brings to the table other than being familiar with Todd Haley's offense.

[URL]http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Chris Rainey lost a fumble. That was the knock against him at Florida - too small to play in the NFL - and losing fumbles isn't going to help. He's not in danger of being cut, but he's not helping his cause to be a bigger part of the offense.
    He also got his bell rung on that play. A lot of guys would drop the ball taking that kind of hit to the head. I was surprised he was allowed back in the game after that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    He also got his bell rung on that play. A lot of guys would drop the ball taking that kind of hit to the head. I was surprised he was allowed back in the game after that.
    But it just brought attention to the concern that he can't handle the punishment. I think it is dumb to be running him out of the backfield so much taking so much of a pounding. Just make him a slot receiver and get him into space.

I think Butler has won the punting job. He has proven he is just as good as Kapinos and he is cheaper.

TE is going to be the most interesting cut in camp. Other than Heath Miller being a sure thing, the final roster spots can go any number of ways to include the team picking up yet another TE when cuts start occurring. I'm not sure how that will play out but I hope they don't give up on Saunders.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post

Rainey had the ball punched out, then had his bell rung when he turned to look for the ball, came down awkwardly, and left himself vulnerable.

The hit did not cause the fumble.

Legend

User Info Menu

How do we know he can't "handle the punishment"...because he fumbled after taking a hard hit? A hit that would have caused quite a few RBs to fumble over?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    How do we know he can't "handle the punishment"...because he fumbled after taking a hard hit? A hit that would have caused quite a few RBs to fumble over?
    No one said he CAN'T however it isn't the fumble that is the concern it is the fact he left the game and had to go to the locker room for a hit that was not that devastating.

That's why I siggested maybe it would make more sense to have the bulk of his action as a receiver not runner. he is going to be a valuable asset but he needs to be put in positions where he can succeed...running up the middle isn't one. It wasn't his strength in college and it won't be in the NFL.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 08-20-2012 at 09:09 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    TE is going to be the most interesting cut in camp. Other than Heath Miller being a sure thing, the final roster spots can go any number of ways to include the team picking up yet another TE when cuts start occurring. I'm not sure how that will play out but I hope they don't give up on Saunders.
    TE will be interesting. The Steelers seem to like Paulson, but I'm not sure if he has enough blocking ability. Saunders probably has the most upside. I could see Peelle getting a spot over somebody because of his blocking ability and versatility. Maybe a group of Miller-Peelle-Paulson to start the year, with Saunders on the inactive list b/c of suspension? Then again, it could just as easily be Miller, Pope and McCoy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree, the ball popped out then Rainey had his bell rung. I also agree he is an open space player and that is where they need to deliver him at and not scooting out from the backfield. Maybe one or two times a game but, he shouldn't try to make a living at that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Most players will go to the locker room after a hit like that... he got popped.

Backup

User Info Menu

Yea Rainey will be fine if Haley uses him in the right situations. What's up with Curtis brown??? From my perspective he's been a pretty big disappointment so far this preseason. I'm still quite concerned about the safeties and the LB play... so far nothing to write home about... Hope they get this worked out... Different year same result???