Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lolley: Initial thoughts from the Colts game

Legend

User Info Menu

In the comments to one of his earlier posts, Lolley provided some thoughts on the roster breakdown:

I'm going on what I'm not only seeing at camp, but what I'm hearing from people there as well on these cuts.

Sanders has an uphill battle. They're not pleased with him over the drug thing and he hasn't helped matters by not going full-tilt at training camp.

Paulson couldn't block a toilet. Has no strength whatsoever. He's probably ticketed for the practice squad.

I'll repeat again that there is no way Worilds gets cut. They like what Carter has done to this point, but Brandon Johnson isn't physical enough to play on the outside. Nor is Sylvester. Worilds and Carter will be the backups on the outside.
    I was probably a little tough on Paulson there. He does have ability as a receiver. He just needs a year to get stronger.
    In my eyes, he's a much better down the road prospect than Saunders.
    I don't know if they trust Saunders at this point.
    [URL]http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=15287012&postID=50131965241434884 99[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My thoughts of the game are this.

Luck is a good QB and will be a great QB someday but then again, Ryan Leaf had a good preseason too. Colts offense looked stoked and I give that credit to Arians. This was Arians personal Grudge Bowl against the Steelers, the Rooneys, Tomlin and the fans. He had his offense playing as if this was a real game. The Steelers acted as this was a time to experiment and learn. The Ravens coaches that are now Colt coaches also lived for this preseason game so, I put little stock into yesterdays game.
    I wasn't happy that the defense gave up short yardage goal line points.
    I kind of also think Haley is showing little stuff, running safe stuff since Ben is behind a young o-line or another mixed up o-lne.
    One more thing, the Steelers will play their first real game againts Peyton in Denver and Peyton will be out to prove the Colts made a mistake. This will be a huge regular season game and the Steelers first game of the season and I'm sure they don't want to lose coming out o the gate so being soft with their play calls on top of not having Ryan Clark in Denver has a lot to do wih our preseason.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    My thoughts of the game are this.
    This was Arians personal Grudge Bowl against the Steelers, the Rooneys, Tomlin and the fans. He had his offense playing as if this was a real game. The Steelers acted as this was a time to experiment and learn. The Ravens coaches that are now Colt coaches also lived for this preseason game so, I put little stock into yesterdays game.
    I agree completely...
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

The Pittsburgh Steelers beat Indy: What Matters

Posted on August 20, 2012 by Syndicated Feeds

Unlike the norm, Ike Taylor held onto an INT last night for a Pick-6 that propelled the Steelers to a win.

The Steelers team that took the field last night in Pittsburgh against the Indianapolis Colts figures to look very little like the finished product it is hoped this team will become. Missing from the field were James Harrison, Rashard Mendenhall, Casey Hampton, Mike Wallace, Max Starks, Jason Worilds, and Isaac Redman, and those starters that did dress played very little after the first quarter. Under those circumstances, it is always difficult to read too much into what transpires, but here are several items that I took away from the Steelers 26-24 win over the Colts:

1. David Gilreath is separating himself from the pack to be the #5 WR. Once Mike Wallace gets into the lineup, the Steelers’ top four WR will not only be set, they’ll be the best group in football. The battle that has been waging in camp is to determine who replaces Hines Ward as the #5 WR, and the battle figured to be between 7th round pick Toney Clemons and Derrick Williams, a local guy with a few years of NFL experience. Instead, David Gilreath, who spent 2011 bouncing around on the practice squads of the Colts, Rams, and Bills, has emerged as the leading candidate to open the year on the 53-man roster. Gilreath caught 4 passes for 78 yards last night, picking up first downs on all 4 receptions, and Gilreath was also an accomplished kickoff returner at Wisconsin, something that may prove valuable given that Antonio Brown will likely be relieved of those duties in 2012.

2. The Steelers’ RB depth appears to be very solid. Rashard Mendenhall was taken off the PUP list last week, meaning that the team believes that he will be able to play sometime before Week 8 (he would have had to sit out the first 6 games had he remained on the list), and it appears that the team is targeting a return during Week 5 (the Steelers have a bye in Week 4). Isaac Redman missed last night’s game with a groin injury, but Jonathan Dwyer and Chris Rainey were both effective carrying the ball in the absence of Mendenhall and Redman. Dwyer looks much slimmer and quicker than he has in past seasons, and Rainey is electrifying in space. Baron Batch, the 2011 training camp phenom who missed the season with a torn ACL, failed to get untracked in the running game but still appears to be a lock to make the 53-man roster and battle with Rainey to be the 3rd down back, due largely to Batch’s ability to catch and pick up the blitz.

3. Get well, Max Starks. Rookie 2nd round pick Mike Adams struggled again last night, and this time it was largely against backups for the Colts. Adams allowed two sacks and began receiving TE help after the second one; otherwise the figure may have been higher. It’s obviously too soon to give up on Adams, but he is clearly in no way ready to be a starting LT in the NFL. Max Starks is off the PUP list and is reportedly on track to be ready to start the opener in Denver. Starks is a pedestrian – at best – LT in the NFL, but throwing Adams into the mix against Elvis Dumerville and the Denver crowd would not end well. Or start well. The remainder of the offensive line looks to be in the best shape it has for years, with a Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro interior that will match up with anyone’s by mid-season, but the Steelers need Max Starks to man LT effectively while Mike Adams gets his feet under him at this level.

4. Can Danny Hrapmann unseat Shaun Suisham? Danny Hrapmann, a rookie UDFA out of Southern Miss, continued his impressive performance in preseason by kicking 4 second half FG last night, including making the gamewinner despite it being largely blocked. Hrapmann is 5-for-5 on FG this preason and displays ample leg on kickoffs (something that is much less of a factor with kickoffs coming from the 35-yard-line). Suisham missed 8 FG’s during an erratic 2011 season, and it’s not like he was Adam Vinatieri to start with. The kicking job is probably still Suisham’s, but Hrapmann is making a case to replace him if Suisham falters during the final two weeks of the preseason.

5. The LB corps is dinged up. Jason Worilds has yet to play a snap this preseason, and last week the Steelers lost both James Harrison and Stevenson Sylvester for at least the rest of the preseason, if not longer, with knee injuries. 2nd year man Chris Carter has replaced Harrison at ROLB and was better against Philadelphia than he was last night. The injuries open the door for other guys to make the team and/or increase their roles, and rookie UDFA Adrian Robinson has stood out far more than offseason acquisition Brandon Johnson or holdover Mortty Ivy thus far. The injury to Stevenson should create more playing time for rookie 3rd round pick Sean Spence, but in two games Spence has been largely unnoticeable on the field.

6. Can Will Johnson be the FB? With David Johnson done for the season with a torn ACL and MCL, Will Johnson is the only FB on the roster. Johnson, who went undrafted out of West Virginia after 2011 and was out of football last season, has played well in his role as a lead blocker thus far and appears to be holding up well.

Up next are the Bills, and the opener in Denver is now 20 days away.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/the_pittsburgh_steelers_beat_indy_what_matters/11506714[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Some Asian observations-

1) Rainey needs to be used properly. Let the guy be our version of Kevin Faulk...running hum between tackles is just fruitless. Let him catch passes out in the flat where he can use the space to propel the speed he has in spades. I think that would be using his skillset more appropriately.

2) Pope is quite a physical specimen. His dimensions dictates he should be part of that defensive front four rotation of the Giants. Maybe he should because I saw nothing real productive from a TE standpoint. Hope I'm proven wrong, because the familiarity with Haley's system would be a boom.

3) Ike "hands of stone" Taylor....pick 6....holy &@$*£!

4) Our CB's looked decent. I'm not going to get all rah rah, but with the exception of one drive, I thought we actually looked comfortable.