Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Can we just %$!&! find a LEGIT full back?

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026

    Can we just %$!&! find a LEGIT full back?

    Don't the Steelers understand the simple concept of a low center of gravity and how that helps a blocking full back? I thought the RETARDED concept of a tall FB was the brain fart of Arians, and yet, Pgh was planning on staying the course with a TE playing FB. Now that he is out for the year, we have the opportunity to re-install a real FB, who are always squatty and stout, like Kreider et al. I recall him planting Ray Lewis on his wallet all the time. That is what we need. If you are going to claim to be a power rushing team (at times) then get a %!!@% stocky FB. The one kid they got on the roster has the right build but has never been a blocking back, so I don't know how that will go. In order to be a good blocking back, you have to love to knock people on their @ss. I think it has to come natural or you won't be any good at it. They missed out on Hynoski - a legit FB who played at PITT and wasn't even drafted that NY scooped up. What a missed opportunity.

    Use a @%$#%#% real FB and stop trying to be cute.

    Not having a legit FB is anti-Steelers. Wake the F up. Learn about a low center of gravity and how it impacts blocking.

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,334
    In addition, a fullback can stay in and protect the QB or act as pressure relief valve on passing downs...something that should be attractive to the Steeler passing purist out there.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

  3. #3
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,863
    position flexibility is what's in vogue, the old traditional FB has become extinct like the dinosaur.

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,366
    Carolina has Tolbert and he was punishing Miami last night. The TE/FB hybrid isn't working.

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,334
    Granted Hawaiian but i think there is still room for a guy who can lead the way effectively on 3rd and short and goalline situations. Situational football is en vogue these days regardless of what you would call him, i agree with the need for the type of guy lloydroid was describing. Lets hope Will johson can become the next Vontae Leech...
    http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...xpense-648625/
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

  6. #6
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Granted Hawaiian but i think there is still room for a guy who can lead the way effectively on 3rd and short and goalline situations.
    if you're looking for a guy to lead the way on 3rd and short and on goal line situations why not use Doug Legursky?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    if you're looking for a guy to lead the way on 3rd and short and on goal line situations why not use Doug Legursky?
    @$/; !@ Legs? No &@$!'b way can Legs play $)&!?'vin FB!

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,673
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Don't the Steelers understand the simple concept of a low center of gravity and how that helps a blocking full back? I thought the RETARDED concept of a tall FB was the brain fart of Arians, and yet, Pgh was planning on staying the course with a TE playing FB. Now that he is out for the year, we have the opportunity to re-install a real FB, who are always squatty and stout, like Kreider et al. I recall him planting Ray Lewis on his wallet all the time. That is what we need. If you are going to claim to be a power rushing team (at times) then get a %!!@% stocky FB. The one kid they got on the roster has the right build but has never been a blocking back, so I don't know how that will go. In order to be a good blocking back, you have to love to knock people on their @ss. I think it has to come natural or you won't be any good at it. They missed out on Hynoski - a legit FB who played at PITT and wasn't even drafted that NY scooped up. What a missed opportunity.

    Use a @%$#%#% real FB and stop trying to be cute.

    Not having a legit FB is anti-Steelers. Wake the F up. Learn about a low center of gravity and how it impacts blocking.
    OK, you are obviously a lemming, if you think Kreider"planted Ray Lewis on his wallet all the time".

  9. #9
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    @$/; !@ Legs? No &@$!'b way can Legs play $)&!?'vin FB!
    Mike Tomlin seems to think he can, in fact Legursky has already lined up at fullback during actual games and had success so I would say he definitely can play FB in short-yardage and goal line situations.


    Offense wins goal-line, 4-3

    Posted Aug 8, 2010
    By Bob Labriola – Steelers Digest

    LATROBE, Pa. – This is what Steelers President Art Rooney II was referring to all along when he said following the end of a disappointing 2009 season that he believed the team needed to be able to run the ball more effectively.

    As in, run the ball more effectively in situations such as short-yardage and goal-line. Those situations were the highlight of Sunday’s afternoon practice at Saint Vincent College, and Rooney had to like what he saw.

    The Steelers ran four live plays, which means tackling to the ground was included, in a short-yardage period where the down-and-distance was always third-and-1. The offense was 4-for-4 in converting those situations, with Isaac Redman getting the yardage on the first two plays, with Dennis Dixon rolling out and hitting Mewelde Moore with a pass on the third, and with Jonathan Dwyer plunging for 2 yards before taking a big hit from safety Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith on the fourth.

    Things were a bit more complicated to decipher during the goal-line drill, where the ball was placed just inside the 2-yard line on each of seven plays, with tackling to the ground included again. The offense was awarded the win, 4-3, but there was one disputed play in which Dwayne White was ruled to have crossed the plane while the defense was calling for a booth review via instant replay.

    “Featured periods of the day were short yardage and goal line,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “They were live periods, and I like what I saw on both sides. There was a little bit of success and failure. There were a lot of teaching opportunities more than anything else. I am pleased with the work from standpoint.”

    The Steelers have been looking for a short-yardage back since Jerome Bettis retired, and following this little bit of live action they aren’t ready to say the search is over.

    “I think (the running backs) represented themselves well,” said Tomlin. “I thought they exercised great vision, they found some holes and finished some runs off. They have to get their pad level down a little bit. I like the way Dwyer is hitting the hole, but he has to roll his shoulders forward and reduce his hit surface for his protection and protection of the football.”

    The star of the goal-line drill last summer was Isaac Redman, who used his success in it to make enough of a name for himself to be kept on the practice squad all season. Redman was 1-for-2 on Sunday, with Casey Hamptonbeing the driving force that kept him out of the end zone on the second play of the drill.

    “His physical characteristics are still the same,” said Tomlin. “He has a great center of gravity and great leg drive. I think he’s potentially better this year because of his patience and vision. He has done a nice job in camp thus far of putting the ball where it is supposed to be and that highlighted his effort today.”

    Was it the backs who deserve the credit for the plays in which the offense scored, or might it be the Legursky effect. Center Doug Legursky, the second-year pro, lined up in the backfield on two of the offense’s four touchdowns, and the back ran behind him both times. For the defense, ther guys being credited for making the plays on the stops were Hampton, Steve McLendon and Renauld Williams.

    “Guys like Legursky are backfield capable,” said Tomlin. “He has great short-area quickness, which is the same thing that makes him a functional center. That kind of negates his lack of stature, if you will. He is a good leverage guy.”

    http://www.steelers.com/news/article...1-812969c8224b

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,316
    legs in the backfireld means the defense knows the other guy is getting the ball

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •