Once a Steeler, always a Steeler!

Nice to see Hines again.

Kindle

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We say we.

Legend

User Info Menu

What was with CC calling out Hines for paying off the officials and getting away with cheating/holding?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    We say we.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have a camp in Pottter County pa and most of the other camp owners are from the Philly area and they try to talk **** to me about the Steelers. And they can't ! Anyway the one thing they all harp about is, us Steelers always say " we " when we speak of our Steelers. They're really irked about it and try to cut us up for saying we or our when, we speak of the Steelers. I don't why this bothers them but maybe it has something to do with the lack of a Super Bowl ring. I tell them, when you come from the greatest NFL teams city and you enjoy it as much you, feel apart of the team and the players enjoy that we are the way we are.
    I remember in one of Joe Greenes interview he said, we are the fans team and players. That's how they look at us and that's what we are. See, Joe knows.
    Freakin jealous Philly fans. BTW, they're just as obnoxious as campers as they are sports fans. One of them isn't but the rest are.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't have a problem with Hines saying we but I thought he was trying to get a gig on NBC. I heard him cat h himself but he did it about 5 more times after that...

Fezzi I live in NC and a Redskins fan tried to call a friend and I band wagon Steeler fans... when he asked where we were born and we both replied "The Burgh" he changed his tone He was cool, asked why we needed more rings, I told him the other hand is a little light.

People have a hard time understanding how this Steeler thing works. We say we because that's the way it is.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 08-20-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Former Steelers WR Hines Ward's Sunday Night Football Debut a Memorable One

by Neal Coolong on Aug 20, 2012

It was going well for Hines Ward at the start. He looked good. Nice smile, Apollo Ohno-inspired soul patch and a borderline condescending Cris Collinsworth referring to him as "NBC's finest."

Ward told a funny story about getting stopped by Heinz Field security asking for credentials.

Then, it happened.

Collinsworth asked Ward what he thought of the Steelers offense.

"I saw more of a controlled passing attack, the offensive line has done a great job of protecting Ben this game. One thing that I'm missing is that deep threat. Not having Mike Wallace out there, I haven't seen a whole lot of shots being taken down the field. Hopefully when Mikes (sic) comes back, ya know, we can go out and, uh, you can see Mike make some big plays."

Cardinal rule of the former player in the broadcast booth. Never attach yourself to a team by using the pronoun "we."

Naturally, Steelers fans aren't going to think anything of it. The cardinal rule exists for Cowboys or Patriots (here's to you, Mr. Irvin and Mr. Bruschi) but Hines Ward can refer to the Steelers as "we" all he wants.

NBC disagreed. It was so poorly timed of a slip, they even brought him back on the air after the game for a "mea culpa" over the slip.

Poor Hines. He's probably barely even used to what he's doing, and there's little to suggest he wasn't completely serious about his comparison of being at Heinz Field but not in uniform to an episode of the Twilight Zone. He stumbles over Mike Wallace's first name, and reverts back to the team he's been a part of for the last 14 years.

All in all, not a bad start for Ward. It's not as if he caught 14 passes for 252 yards in his rookie debut on the field either.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/20/3255527/nbc-sunday-night-football-hines-ward-mike-wallace-broadcast-colts-preseason[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure the handlers didn't want Hines to say "we".... there was a lot of dead air that Hines was supposed to fill in and he did a pretty poor job IMO. Hopefully he gets better but if I worked for NBC he wouldn't do any AFCN games. lol...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=feltdizz;519768]I don't have a problem with Hines saying we but I thought he was trying to get a gig on NBC. I heard him cat h himself but he did it about 5 more times after that...

Fezzi I live in NC and a Redskins fan tried to call a friend and I band wagon Steeler fans... when he asked where we were born and we both replied "The Burgh" he changed his tone He was cool, asked why we needed more rings, I told him the other hand is a little light.

Ha ! I love it ! I'm going to use your line too, the other hand is a little light. You made me remember what else the Philly guys said about us and that was, "you people live Steeler football it's your entire way of life. "
    I told them until you go through the joy of winning like we did with the 70's teams and our current teams, you just won't understand.

I grew up at a perfect Steeler age to see Bradshaw get drafted, to watch the team grow under Noll and to see the greatness of a dynasty. I wonder if any team was ever considered a dynasty prior to the Steelers ?
    When your a Steeler player, a Steeler fan you are automatically apart of a family. I can and do sometimes approach total strangers if I'm in line or sitting at lunch or when the time is right nd I'll start talking Steeler football and they just respond with as much enthusiasm as me.