Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: NFL fines Rodgers-Cromartie $21,000 for hit

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer SteelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,125

    NFL fines Rodgers-Cromartie $21,000 for hit

    The NFL has fined Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie $21,000 for an illegal hit on Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich.

    The hit took place in the teams’ first preseason game when Rodgers-Cromartie launched himself at Leftwich, connecting with a helmet-to-helmet hit.

    Neither player was hurt.

    The 26-year-old cornerback said he didn’t think he did anything wrong, but the NFL obviously disagreed. According to league rules, an opponent cannot initiate conduct with a defenseless player in the act of throwing a pass.

    The $21,000 fine is the minimum for a hit on a defenseless player, but ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports some around the NFL disagree with the league’s decision.






    Chris Mortensen✔
    @mortreport

    Rodgers-Cromartie's fine isn't sitting well with everyone around league. One prominent coach thought this would merit suspension.

    http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl...r_illegal_hit/

  2. #2
    Backup tiproast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    East Overshoe
    Posts
    266
    If the situation were reversed and a Steelers DB performed the same hit on an Eagles QB, then I think the punishment would have been way more severe.

    Just an opinion from an NFL fan with no allegiance to either team.
    “We'll do the same thing that we always do. We'll take every situation from week to week and do what we think is best for that week and evaluate it on that basis.” - Bill Belichick

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,334
    The NFL has had this covered for years with the no spearing rule. I dont see why they had to go complexify the whole thing.

    If you launch your helmet into another player, you get penalized for spearing....simple.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

  4. #4
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,840
    Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    If the situation were reversed and a Steelers DB performed the same hit on an Eagles QB, then I think the punishment would have been way more severe.

    Just an opinion from an NFL fan with no allegiance to either team.

    I'm pretty sure every poster on this board would agree with you there...

    so what's up tiproast, how are the Patriots* looking so far this pre-season?

  5. #5
    Backup tiproast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    East Overshoe
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I'm pretty sure every poster on this board would agree with you there...

    so what's up tiproast, how are the Patriots* looking so far this pre-season?
    Thanks for asking.

    Pats look OK so far. Some concerns about offensive line depth. Light retired during the off-season. Gallery was brought in but then he retired. Brian Waters hasn't reported yet, but once he does the guard rotation looks solid (Mankins, Waters, and Marcus Cannon). Solder and Vollmer are the tackles, and they're both big, but haven't been very durable. Two decent centers and excellent TEs - a reliable backup tackle is really all that's needed up front. WR corps looks as good as most teams; RBs will be a question mark, but all we need from that group is enough performance to make play-action work.

    Defense should be better than last year, but there's really no place to go but up for that unit. The two first-round draft choices (C. Jones & D. Hightower) have been impressive in camp. If DB Dowling can stay healthy and DB McCourty can bounce back from his sophomore slump, I have hopes for a middle-of-the-pack defense.

    I expect the coaching staff will have updated to ultra-micro-minature cameras and microphones this year, so we should be able to maintain our edge on the rest of the league there, as well.

    Hope your team gets healthy - you're not on our schedule this year, so we won't see you guys until you visit Foxboro in January.
    Last edited by tiproast; 08-18-2012 at 01:25 AM.
    “We'll do the same thing that we always do. We'll take every situation from week to week and do what we think is best for that week and evaluate it on that basis.” - Bill Belichick

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    Thanks for asking.

    Pats look OK so far. Some concerns about offensive line depth. Light retired during the off-season. Gallery was brought in but then he retired. Brian Waters hasn't reported yet, but once he does the guard rotation looks solid (Mankins, Waters, and Marcus Cannon). Solder and Vollmer are the tackles, and they're both big, but haven't been very durable. Two decent centers and excellent TEs - a reliable backup tackle is really all that's needed up front. WR corps looks as good as most teams; RBs will be a question mark, but all we need from that group is enough performance to make play-action work.

    Defense should be better than last year, but there's really no place to go but up for that unit. The two first-round draft choices (C. Jones & D. Hightower) have been impressive in camp. If DB Dowling can stay healthy and DB McCourty can bounce back from his sophomore slump, I have hopes for a middle-of-the-pack defense.

    I expect the coaching staff will have updated to ultra-micro-minature cameras and microphones this year, so we should be able to maintain our edge on the rest of the league there, as well.

    Hope your team gets healthy - you're not on our schedule this year, so we won't see you guys until you visit Foxboro in January.
    As long as you have Ernie Adams photographic memory up in that coaches box with a direct line to Bellichick's headset you will have an edge.

  7. #7
    Backup tiproast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    East Overshoe
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    As long as you have Ernie Adams photographic memory up in that coaches box with a direct line to Bellichick's headset you will have an edge.
    True, but Ernie is inscrutable to most of us. Combining Tarot cards, Ouija boards and voodoo dolls with Bayesian Belief nets and fuzzy logic goes beyond arcane, and enters the realm of the mondo-mysterioso. I must say, though, that the smell of jasmine incense, Thai chicken pizza and Ben-gay wafting from the coaches box is really funky.
    “We'll do the same thing that we always do. We'll take every situation from week to week and do what we think is best for that week and evaluate it on that basis.” - Bill Belichick

  8. #8
    Legend fordfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    7,829
    Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    True, but Ernie is inscrutable to most of us. Combining Tarot cards, Ouija boards and voodoo dolls with Bayesian Belief nets and fuzzy logic goes beyond arcane, and enters the realm of the mondo-mysterioso. I must say, though, that the smell of jasmine incense, Thai chicken pizza and Ben-gay wafting from the coaches box is really funky.
    Welcome back tip

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    As long as you have Ernie Adams photographic memory up in that coaches box with a direct line to Bellichick's headset you will have an edge.
    I, too, have a pornographic memory...

  10. #10
    Backup
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the "Fork of Greatness" resides.
    Posts
    420
    Only 21K...That's CRAP!!!

    DRC tried to intentionally hurt Leftwich!!!

    If that was a Steelers player it would have been a 15 yard penalty, an ejection, a fine and suspension!!

    Screw the NFL!!

    JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

    http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •