Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All signs point to a disappointing year for the Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

All signs point to a disappointing year for the Steelers

All signs point to a disappointing year for the Pittsburgh Steelers

August 14, 2012
    Denver Sports by J Simp

Pittsburgh, PA. For any Pittsburgh Steelers fan, this had to have been a very difficult off-season to deal with. Let’s be honest, this is easily one of the most successful franchises in the NFL, and all of sports for that matter. Their followers expect nothing less than deep runs into the playoffs, and championship trophies as well. Some would say, they are the gold standard in pro football, as this organization has six Lombardi Trophies to their credit. Since 1969, they have had a total of three head coaches, which is just simply unheard of in pro sports. Mike Tomlin continues on the tradition of tough, hard-nosed Steeler-style head coaches. There just aren’t many, if any, better run franchises than the Pittsburgh Steelers. When the Steelers made the trip west to the Rocky Mountains last January, it was going to be business as usual, and just about all football fans were expecting a workmanlike road playoff victory. But three and a half hours later, and an 80-yard pitch and catch in overtime, the season was over….just like that. The end of the year for the Pittsburgh Steelers came in shocking fashion, and was something they and their fans were not used to. For a team who is so used to winning, it may have begun a slow downward spiral, and one that has all the makings of lasting well into 2012.

For years now, there has been something called the “Super Bowl hangover”. Many times throughout the past decade or so, the team that has lost in the Super Bowl has missed the playoffs entirely the following season. Something about losing in the big game has done a number on that particular team. Well, in this situation, the Pittsburgh Steelers loss back on wildcard weekend could definitely produce the same outcome in 2012. That was such a shocking, bitter pill to swallow, that it could be hard for them to bounce back this year. Several other factors point to this as being a down year for the Steelers. The holdout situation regarding Mike Wallace is becoming a problem. Pittsburgh’s best receiver is nowhere to be found, and if and when he does report to the team, there is a good chance that he won’t be in football shape. Muscle pulls or strains could very well be in the cards for Mr. Wallace this year, if he ends up playing at all. The Steelers also have plans for two rookie offensive linemen to get a lot of playing time. Rookie linemen protecting Ben Roethlisberger? Not an ideal situation. Although the defense has always been Pittsburgh’s identity, this one is getting quite old. James Harrison and Troy Polamalu are just a couple of the guys who are well into their thirties. Starting running back Rashard Mendenhall is coming back from an ACL tear, and probably won’t be ready until October at the earliest. Then there is just simply the law of averages. In the last twenty years, the Pittsburgh Steelers have had a total of three losing seasons. That is unheard of success, especially in the salary-cap driven NFL. Their division is not an easy one either. Baltimore is always a tough opponent and an AFC contender, and Cincinnati is young and only getting better after a trip to the playoffs last year. The bottom line is this….there are just too many signs that point to the Steelers having an off year in 2012. They will bounce back in the coming years, like they always do, but this season will end up being a disappointing one for the black and gold.

The first week, at Denver, will tell everyone a ton about where this Steelers team is at. They will have all the motivation in the world to come in and ruin Peyton’s party. Avenging that difficult loss back in January will also be on their minds, and a win on September 9th would do them wonders in moving on. But what happens if they lose again to Denver? A loss for Pittsburgh in the regular season opener could be just the thing that sends them into a season-long tailspin….

One that they won’t recover from until 2013 at the earliest.

[URL]http://denversportschat.com/all-signs-point-to-a-disappointing-year-for-the-pittsburgh-steelers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+DenverSportsChat+%28Denver+Sports+Chat%2 9[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quite old on D eh? Wallace is Pitts best receiver? Well. apparently this guy hasn't done his research. I quit reading after that.

I see possible upgrades on the Oline and Ben being protected. Rashard has been average at best. And the Steelers have one of the youngest Ds in the league (outside of Troy and James Harrison, that is). And a healthy Woodley, and a well positioned Timmons will make a difference.

Of course, I am preaching to the choir here. But I see why you posted this article Hawaiian! haha!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the Mayans provided a better factual basis for their 2012 predictions than this chucklehead. All signs point to moron.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I think the Mayans provided a better factual basis for their 2012 predictions than this chucklehead. All signs point to moron.
    Nice Fla! Of course our imminent demise is predicated on a season opening loss to the Broncos.

Personally, I wouldnt want to have my hopes based on a player (Manning) that could end up looking like Stephen Hawking after any given play.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Rookie

User Info Menu

kitty_bored_go_sleep_xlarge.jpeg
    (This is not directed at Hawaiiansteel, but to the author of the article.)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Quite old on D eh? Wallace is Pitts best receiver? Well. apparently this guy hasn't done his research. I quit reading after that.

I see possible upgrades on the Oline and Ben being protected. Rashard has been average at best. And the Steelers have one of the youngest Ds in the league (outside of Troy and James Harrison, that is). And a healthy Woodley, and a well positioned Timmons will make a difference.

Of course, I am preaching to the choir here. But I see why you posted this article Hawaiian! haha!!!
    I think the article is nonsense too, but don't forget Kiesel and Foote when talking about "old" on defense...neither is a spring chicken.

I love how these guys predict the demise of the Steelers while they totally ignore that the Ravens and their aging defense has lost its best player. But the assumption is that they won't miss a beat. This guy must get his info from Ravens "homer" Mel Kiper.

To be honest I'm more concerned about the Bumgals than the Ravens.

I think an 11-5 record is very doable, no worse than 9-7.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Enjoy that pic, gentlemen. It shows James Farrior in his last seconds as a Steeler. That still sucks.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Pretty lame article. We limped into the Playoffs last year licking our wounds. Ben was a mess. The defense was full of missing starters. Yeah, losing to the Tebow-lead Donks stunk but had we won, no one really expected the Steelers to get past a much healthier Rats or Cheaters team last year.

If we can remain healthy, I don't think any signs point to a disappointing year this season. But I hope everyone counts them out all season long.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Agree, the moron sensor went red alert on that article. But he put it out there. It's up to the Steelers to stuff it back where it came from.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The guy has a little bit of reality in there. I'm not too concerned with the offense- especially now that we re-signed Max. However, I do have concerns about the Defense. Specifically, being able to stop the run- hoping #90 will have a big season will help. CB's though- they worry me..Have for years.. And starting out in Denver- we have no Clark....Why can't Denver ever come to Pitt.?
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion