Thread: Was at Training Camp Today (Sat 08/11/12) My Observations.

Backup

User Info Menu

Was at Training Camp Today (Sat 08/11/12) My Observations.

I focused more on the offense today.

The offense practiced the deep ball a lot today. Ben looked sharp, especially on the long TD pass to Antonio Brown. Emmanual Sanders made some nice deep catches today as Cotchery caught a lot of short and intermediate passes. The only incompletion ben that I saw was when Ike Taylor defended a pass for Antonio Brown. Even Heath Miller caught a nice 40 yard pass from Ben.

Barren Batch was the lead back today as Redman and Dwyer were held out of practice today. Chris Rainey ran a few reverses and made a nice deep catch from Big Ben that almost went for a TD.

The starting offensive line today consisted of LT Gilbert, LG Colon, C Pouncey RG Decastro and RT Foster. I was very surprised they had Foster at RT and Gilbert at LT. Mike Adams had a knee brace on and is only expected to miss 2 weeks. I didnt pay as much attention to the 2nd and 3rd team O Line.

All the fans there were great and cheering after every completion. Byron Leftwich did not have a good practice as all his passes seemed to have sailed from what I saw..However, Jerrid Johnson and Batch looked great. What WR is #81? He wasnt on the training camp roster they gave out at camp today. Whoever 81 is, he is tall and made some nice leaping catches in traffic.

Defense looked fine to me. Keisel was back. I didnt see Clark or Harrison.

Special teams looked good in practice. Drew Butler punted very well and Sushi made 2 56 yard FGs.

A couple other observations.
    I saw Todd Hailey get in Antonio Brown's face when Ike Taylor broke up the pass Ben attempted for Antonio Brown.
    Mike Tomlin was laughing and joking around with the players.
    Tyler Beiler #19 was catching passes like Wes Welker does in New England
    Tony Clemons caught a lot of deep balls from Charlie Batch and Jerrod Johnson. One even went for a TD

Discuss

Legend

User Info Menu

#81 is WR Paul Cox out of Miss Valley St., the same college that produced Jerry Rice.

Cox finished his senior season with 36 catches for 619 yards and three TDs and was originally signed by the San Diego Chargers as an UDFA. Cox was signed by the Steelers to the 90 man roster after we waived OT Bridger Buche, who was signed when Jonathan Scott was released.

Cox measured in at his pro day at 6043 and weighed 203 pounds. He ran a reported 4.57 40 time to go along with a 33.5 vertical and a 09'04" broad jump.

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Thank you Hawaiin. Maybe Paul Cox could be our surprise of the pre season the next 3 games. This man is huge and would love to see another tall receiver on the roster. However, he will probably only be a practice squad guy at best.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks for the report -- good stuff.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Thanks for the report -- good stuff.
    Nice! You said, "Barren Batch was the lead back today as Redman and Dwyer were held out of practice today. Chris Rainey ran a few reverses and made a nice deep catch from Big Ben that almost went for a TD."

It would be nice to see Batch get more shots this week and I would like to see him get out in the open. He came in after Dwyer made that long run in the 2nd Q Thursday. I went back and watched that part of the game again and noticed that Dwyer did not switch the ball to his left side on the run even though a guy was moving in on him. This puzzled me a bit. Mendenhall has been here what 3-4 years and has made no attempt it seems to pick up this routine pro technique. One day it will be costly. Am I missing something? Is it now not the norm to do this routine thing.

What made this more noticeable was that Al Woods a DL who intercepted that pass saw the guy coming up behind him to strip the ball and switched it to his left hand. Here is a guy that will probably never again have that opportunity and will likely not even make the team doing this fundamental thing.

Does this not strike anyone else as being a bit unusual?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Nice! You said, "Barren Batch was the lead back today as Redman and Dwyer were held out of practice today. Chris Rainey ran a few reverses and made a nice deep catch from Big Ben that almost went for a TD."

It would be nice to see Batch get more shots this week and I would like to see him get out in the open. He came in after Dwyer made that long run in the 2nd Q Thursday. I went back and watched that part of the game again and noticed that Dwyer did not switch the ball to his left side on the run even though a guy was moving in on him. This puzzled me a bit. Mendenhall has been here what 3-4 years and has made no attempt it seems to pick up this routine pro technique. One day it will be costly. Am I missing something? Is it now not the norm to do this routine thing.

What made this more noticeable was that Al Woods a DL who intercepted that pass saw the guy coming up behind him to strip the ball and switched it to his left hand. Here is a guy that will probably never again have that opportunity and will likely not even make the team doing this fundamental thing.

Does this not strike anyone else as being a bit unusual?
    I couldn't agree with you more on that one. That goes as far back as Bettis, Fast Willie, et al. I've always wondered if the Steelers coaches just don't emphasize that. To me that should be instinctual as a RB. But, apparently not. You would at least think that's something that can be "coached up". In reality, it should be drilled into the head of every little boy the first time he takes off and runs with a football.

Rockon

Starter

User Info Menu

Rockon said: "I couldn't agree with you more on that one. That goes as far back as Bettis, Fast Willie, et al. I've always wondered if the Steelers coaches just don't emphasize that. To me that should be instinctual as a RB. But, apparently not. You would at least think that's something that can be "coached up". In reality, it should be drilled into the head of every little boy the first time he takes off and runs with a football."

You sure about JB and WP? I never ever noticed. I will have to go back and watch some of their games. What I do remember is in one of Mendenhall's very first pre-season games he lost the ball 3 times. Two of them came on plays he broke through on the left side for substantial gains. Minnesota had some very quick DL who pursued and simply took the freaking thing out of his arms. I defended RM then saying the important thing was his quickness getting through blah blah etc. But added that was easily correctible. Did not happen!

I'm finding it hard to believe that the great backs in the past and top current ones do not do this. But like I said it's something that you don't give any thought to until disaster strikes or an Al Woods reminds you that it could be a useful thing. LOL