Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plax Back 2 The Burgh?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Plax Back 2 The Burgh?

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ff6e8/article/plaxico-burress-ryan-grant-among-best-remaining-free-agents?module=HP11_cp"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ff6e8/article/plaxico-burress-ryan-grant-among-best-remaining-free-agents?module=HP11_cp[/URL]

• WR Plaxico Burress: It didn't work out spectacularly with the Jets, but then again, everything imploded there. (Clearly there were deep-seeded locker room and chemistry issues.) Burress wasn't a problem there and getting better quarterback play in a more robust offense could bring out the best in him.

He remains a red-zone weapon, as evidenced by his eight touchdowns in 2011. The jump balls alone can be enough to win you a game or two. He should be better, I believe, having had a good period of time to re-adjust to NFL life after his prison stint. The Eagles are among several teams that could use a tall receiver, and Burress has made it clear he would love to play with Michael Vick. But I think there is a better opportunity at a place that Plaxico is pretty familiar with ...

Best fit: Pittsburgh Steelers. Yes, receiver isn't a glaring need right now. But Mike Wallace's contract situation could linger. And regardless, Burress makes perfect sense in certain packages. He knows everyone there -- having spent his first five professional seasons in Pittsburgh -- and the Steelers considered bringing him back a year ago, despite his checkered history. He remains on their radar now. Nothing is imminent, but with Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders only a year away from free agency, there might not be money for everyone. Burress could be an affordable stopgap guy for them, even if it's only in a role not much larger than the one Hines Ward served last season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i wouldn't be opposed. but, i think he is going to be looking for something north of 2 years 7 million. i would assume our price range would be well south of that.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

1 year 800K and yes.

Legend

User Info Menu

If he was going to sign they would have already done it IMO. Especially learning a new system. Now that they signed Cotchery I don't think adding PLAx is realistic.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Would it be cool to have him? Sure. Do we need him? No. Will he actually even get so far as having talks with the Steelers? Doubt it.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Would it be cool to have him? Sure. Do we need him? No. Will he actually even get so far as having talks with the Steelers? Doubt it.
    The Steelers had "talks" last year. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. 1 year, 1 mil possibly?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Plax, but I think the possibility is pretty close to 0% because it`s a terrible fit for both sides. My guess is that football writers try to write about the Steelers in the off-season because the fan base is big and they'll get more hits (see Tiki Barber).

For Plax, I'd imagine that he'd be looking to be a starter. Here, here would be #3 at best and putting him there would take away from the development and evaluation of Sanders. It'd also be a bit of a slap in the face to Croch, who I'm sure was told he'd be in the role of veteran presence and 3/4 WR.

Plax will also likely want to get paid. You know who has almost no cap space left? The Steelers. If we were to use our remaining space on another UFA, I'd much rather bring in someone at a position of need (as opposed to someone who would join what is likely the strongest group on the offence).

Legend

User Info Menu

No thanks. Move forward not backwards. He would be no better than the #4 or #5 receiver. Not worth $1M. Let a young guy like Clemons do that role.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Burress was on Sirius NFL Radio yesterday, and they were talking about teams that had real needs at WR, like Miami, Cleveland, Carolina, and Oakland.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Plax, but I think the possibility is pretty close to 0% because it`s a terrible fit for both sides. My guess is that football writers try to write about the Steelers in the off-season because the fan base is big and they'll get more hits (see Tiki Barber).

For Plax, I'd imagine that he'd be looking to be a starter. Here, here would be #3 at best and putting him there would take away from the development and evaluation of Sanders. It'd also be a bit of a slap in the face to Croch, who I'm sure was told he'd be in the role of veteran presence and 3/4 WR.

Plax will also likely want to get paid. You know who has almost no cap space left? The Steelers. If we were to use our remaining space on another UFA, I'd much rather bring in someone at a position of need (as opposed to someone who would join what is likely the strongest group on the offence).
    Good point. Besides, this seemed to be the talk last off-season. If he wanted to be here, he'd have signed last year (or at least made it more apparent that he wanted to be here). He had his chance already. Actually, he had two chances!

Sorry buddy--the ship has passed. You blew it.