Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwyer is our best back....

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I'm very curious what exactly some posters see in dwyer that says he can be a top 10 back in the NFL.

he has 25 carries for 151 yards in his career. Take away the 76 yard run and that drops to 24 for 76 yards, a 3 yard average.

sorry, but that doesn't scream top 10 back to me.
    I didn't like this argument with Willie Parker and I don't really like it now...cherry picking the best carries out of the body of work doesn't support the argument well...

That being said, Dwyer has not impressed me...

Dwyer had the opportunity to supplant Redman as the top backup to first round draft choice Rashard Mendenhall...he didn't or couldn't...

Dwyer has 25 carries for 151 yards in his career...

Redman had 162 carries for 726 yards in his career...with a healthy 4.5 yard average...

It strikes me as silly that a guy like Redman, who has more than 6 times as many carries as Dwyer and has also produced well in the playoffs, somehow can't get it done, but Dwyer, who was on the bubble last year, finished the year injured and got hurt after two carries in the preseason is the savior...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    This may not be the case any longer... only time will tell... Based on watching Dwyer's limited collective body of work, I'm quite convinced that he could be the next Barry Foster... that is who I see when he runs. He may not be the fastest, (was Jerome or Barry?) but he just has a knack for gaining yards and big runs... Dwyer has the vision and skills to be a top 10 back. He knows where he needs to run and he commits... No dance no spinderella... just production... and he'd have a lot of production if he stays motivated, healthy and is give the chance. I would love to see what he can do on a consistent basis...
    See, I would more liken him to a guy like LaGarrett Blount. Both were highly rated prior to their final years in college, and both fell down the draft board. Both are very physically talented--both are capable of ripping off big runs that get everybody thinking about their potential. And both have value as a role player, because of that potential. But in the end, I would say that both will end up disappointing more than surprising. Now that's not to say that they can't have a 1,000-yard season even (if I'm not mistaken, Blount has that type of year under his belt). But there is a tease factor that both have, that they will never achieve their "potential", each for their own reason.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mendy may be the odd man out come contract time, not because the others are better, but because the NFL is devaluing the running back position. You need two average to above average backs and a backup, not a 20-25 carry per game feature running back. The evolution of offense to more of a passing game rather rushing offense allows teams to keep two backs that may cost less than one feature back. The way offenses are being coordinated now I wouldn't want a back like AP on my team, he's too expensive for what a running back provides to the offense.

Redman, Dwyer, Batch and Rainey provide many different looks that the Steelers can use on offense, rather than using Mendenhall as the feature. Mendenhall is still probably the best all around back, but I doubt the Steelers pay him as a feature back if the other 4 work out well while Mendenhall is on the PUP. The quality of running back coming out of college will probably begin to decline (if it hasn't already) due to the rules and offenses being run.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    See, I would more liken him to a guy like LaGarrett Blount. Both were highly rated prior to their final years in college, and both fell down the draft board. Both are very physically talented--both are capable of ripping off big runs that get everybody thinking about their potential. And both have value as a role player, because of that potential. But in the end, I would say that both will end up disappointing more than surprising. Now that's not to say that they can't have a 1,000-yard season even (if I'm not mistaken, Blount has that type of year under his belt). But there is a tease factor that both have, that they will never achieve their "potential", each for their own reason.
    I would tend to agree with the good points you made... And yes I am partly basing my gut feeling and observations on his college career. I'm looking at the glass being half full... I think he has a lot of potential and it is up to him to prove he can do it or not... I'm not one who is ready to anoint him as anything yet... but again it is just a gut feeling that Dwyer has a lot more to show and grow into... I really like Redman and having Dwyer backing him up isn't a bad thing IMHO. I just hope Dwyer has decided that he wants it bad enough and really us shows his capabilities... I wouldn't give up on him just yet... No one knows what Rashard will ultimately bring to the table after his latest injury... that alone COULD, not saying it will, make him less productive. As I said time will tell...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I'm very curious what exactly some posters see in dwyer that says he can be a top 10 back in the NFL.

he has 25 carries for 151 yards in his career. Take away the 76 yard run and that drops to 24 for 76 yards, a 3 yard average.

sorry, but that doesn't scream top 10 back to me.
    None of our backs are Top 10, Dwyer included. I think people get excited about the explosiveness that allows a 70+ yard run to occur but Dwyer has much more to prove to establish himself as just a decent RB in the NFL.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Dwyer has the vision and skills to be a top 100 back.
    you forgot a zero there, fixed that for ya...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    you forgot a zero there, fixed that for ya...
    Let me fix this for ya... No one really knows what this kid has just yet... Until their number is consistently called it's all just conjecture and discussion board fodder. "IF" Dwyer lived up to his potential coming out of school he might just surprise everyone... The way the RB's are valued in today's league any good back running behind a great line has the chance of becoming a top 10 back... Did anyone ever think or predict what Barry Foster would end up doing? No. I hope Dwyer does a super job... just like I hope Redmond, Rainey and Batch do when they are called upon...

Legend

User Info Menu

MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

BTW, Dwyer will back at practice today but will be limited -- no contact

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I don't believe Dwyers had enough opportunities to prove anything.
    aaaand I agree with ya. Best back on the roster? Based on what, exactly?
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Dwyer is a pus$y.
    He ran through a giant hole, ran to the sideline and instead of bowling his big arse into the endzone...he jogged out of bounds.
    Sounds alot like FRANCO
    Oooh how we forget how the "great ones" really played

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher