Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwyer is our best back....

Hybrid View

Pro Bowler

Dwyer is our best back....

....and that is WITH Mendenhall active.

If Dwyer gets the touches, he will border pro bowl status.

He is simply better than any back on the roster, period.

He'll certainly have a chance to prove that, but he has A LOT to prove...

Hopefully his shoulder will be okay...as it is often said, "You can't make the club in the tub."

do not agree at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    do not agree at all.
    Yeah, I don't see it at all. He seems to have some ability, but he's injury prone. Even from an ability standpoint, I'd certainly put him behind Redman. I'm not the biggest fan of Mendenhall, but you have to put him ahead of Dwyer as well.

Backup
    From what I recall of Dwyer in college, he was not one to shy away from contact.

I'm thinking he's being smart and not taking any unnecessary extra hits. It is the first game of preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    From what I recall of Dwyer in college, he was not one to shy away from contact.

I'm thinking he's being smart and not taking any unnecessary extra hits. It is the first game of preseason.
    The guy had 3 yards to go and he barely contested being driven out of bounds. When you are in a battle to get touches during the regular season, the only smart thing to do is finish the play.

If you look at Rainey's 57-yard TD, the DB had pretty much the same angle on him as the one who chased down Dwyer. Rainey cut it back at the 10, so he could not only try to evade the contact, but to make sure he wouldn't be easily driven out by his own momentum at the point of contact. Dwyer should have also cut back, lowered his shoulder, and used that 230 lbs.

Nice run; weak finish.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    The guy had 3 yards to go and he barely contested being driven out of bounds. When you are in a battle to get touches during the regular season, the only smart thing to do is finish the play.

Nice run; weak finish.
    I'm old enough to remember that exact same criticism being made about Franco Harris. He was always being criticized for going out of bounds versus lowering his shoulder. Not in a million years would I suggest that Dwyer is anything close to Franco but sometimes especially in the preseason you have to play smart.

I just watched the replay of the game yesterday and if you look at a few plays before that run Dwyer did a blitz pick up and put his shoulder into the blitzer and when I saw it it looked like he recoiled in a wierd way. I'm willing to bet that is when he actually hurt his shoulder and when he made that long run he felt someting which is why he didn't lower it into the oncoming tacklers. Don't really know, but just speculation.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    If Dwyer gets the touches, he will border pro bowl status.
    if Dwyer gets the touches he will gain 8000 yards this season which should be good enough to earn pro bowl status.

however, I don't think he will beat out Redman for the starting RB job...

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    if Dwyer gets the touches he will gain 8000 yards this season which should be good enough to earn pro bowl status.

however, I don't think he will beat out Redman for the starting RB job...
    You are starting to see the light!

But, I'll have to revise my estimate...it has been about 5 years since an RB carried the ball 400 times...so, I don't think that 8,000 is quite within reach...

The thing I like about Dwyer is that he hits the "Go" switch really quickly when he sees an opening. The problem with Mendenhall is not physical ability but that he has a momentary hesitation before he hits an opening. I don't know if Dwyer is the best back because he hasn't carried in enough situations to show that, but I am very comfortable with him as part of the backfield on opening day.