Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 132

Thread: Dwyer is our best back....

  1. #31
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Maybe Dwyer should start... seems like every time his number is called the OL executes to perfection.

    Anyone notice Dwyer waving his hand after that big run? It looked like the coached wanted to see Batch in the red zone but I wonder if they would have let Dwyer finish the drive off of he didn't put his hand up.

    But we now know he was hurt, or was that after a different play?

  2. #32
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    That is why he will never be any more than a flash player, a guy who teases but can't carry a load. He's in position to actually take the starting job... he rips off a nice run where he mildly hurts his shoulder (how he hurt the shoulder seems strange anyway. As I recall, he barely was touched on the run)... he rips off a big run, and he asks out of the game immediately.

    He could be a nice backup, but I don't think he has the intestinal fortitude.
    If he doesn't cut it being a prime back, it will be because he lacks the toughness as you say. However, he carried the load in college. His highlight reel is long and impressive.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87oQfYptdJM

  3. #33
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Dwyer is a pus$y.
    He ran through a giant hole, ran to the sideline and instead of bowling his big arse into the endzone...he jogged out of bounds. Then had the audacity to ask for a sub. Get him off the team. He's a punk. Best running back, my butt. He's a coward.
    Really?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87oQfYptdJM

  4. #34
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    The whole topic is completely ludicrous. Yea, he found a giant hole and made a nice cut. End of compliment.
    Not basing it on that one run whatsoever. Wake up.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87oQfYptdJM

  5. #35
    He looked to me like The Bus on some of those college runs (ex.- against SAMFORD in a 55-0 rout) but more like 'a bust' in the NFL. Granted, I did not see the first half or part of the 3rd Q. I read he was on a pace to run for 8000 yards this season. Maybe he is much better this year that he is finally in shape.

  6. #36
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,700
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    If he doesn't cut it being a prime back, it will be because he lacks the toughness as you say. However, he carried the load in college. His highlight reel is long and impressive.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87oQfYptdJM
    Dwyer was a blue-chip prospect entering his last year at G-Tech. Now, my general theory on guys like that is that when you are a highly touted guy from a major college (like he was), the scouts have a microscope on you. They know you very well. It's different than a James Harrison for example, who came from a small school (to emerge as a star). It's also different than a Willie Parker, who came from a major D1 school but wasn't highly touted at the time. Dwyer was watched carefully. For a guy with the extensive highlight package that you showed, to be left to linger until the 6th round, speaks volumes to me about what scouts really thought about him.

    It's like that Vontaze Burfict kid that came out this year. He was supposed to be the next Ray Lewis pre-2012. He proceeded to flop that year. Now, even if he did flop... if the scouts saw something in him or found extenuating circumstances, you best believe they still would've been falling over each other to pick him. They weren't. Why? Because they don't see the value. That's all it is.

    So in Dwyer's case... as much as I hope he balls out this year (and me might... there's no denying his talent), I don't hold my breath at all.

  7. #37
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Dwyer was a blue-chip prospect entering his last year at G-Tech. Now, my general theory on guys like that is that when you are a highly touted guy from a major college (like he was), the scouts have a microscope on you. They know you very well. It's different than a James Harrison for example, who came from a small school (to emerge as a star). It's also different than a Willie Parker, who came from a major D1 school but wasn't highly touted at the time. Dwyer was watched carefully. For a guy with the extensive highlight package that you showed, to be left to linger until the 6th round, speaks volumes to me about what scouts really thought about him.

    It's like that Vontaze Burfict kid that came out this year. He was supposed to be the next Ray Lewis pre-2012. He proceeded to flop that year. Now, even if he did flop... if the scouts saw something in him or found extenuating circumstances, you best believe they still would've been falling over each other to pick him. They weren't. Why? Because they don't see the value. That's all it is.

    So in Dwyer's case... as much as I hope he balls out this year (and me might... there's no denying his talent), I don't hold my breath at all.
    Maybe.

    But you are also making the assumption that people never change (at least for the good). Some guys take a little longer to mature and put things into proper perspective (believe me, as a father of four boys, I have seen just about every personality). Maybe the light for Dwyer has finally turned on.... maybe he is giving it his all as a final push to be great. No one knows but Dwyer. Hope the best for him, but I guess I am not as sold on him as some are here on the board.

  8. #38
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,237
    I don't believe Dwyers had enough opportunities to prove anything.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    If he doesn't cut it being a prime back, it will be because he lacks the toughness as you say. However, he carried the load in college. His highlight reel is long and impressive.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87oQfYptdJM
    Do you have any college highlight film on Limas Sweed or even Mendenhall? Maybe some KiJana Carter highlights.

    Dwyer is going into his third year in the league, and so far, he has little to show for himself in the NFL. He's been outperformed by Redman both years. I think he's better than Clay and will likely stick on the roster. I hope he does well. But before we induct him Canton based on college film, perhaps we can wait until he actually contributes for more than one play here and there?

  10. #40
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Maybe.

    But you are also making the assumption that people never change (at least for the good). Some guys take a little longer to mature and put things into proper perspective (believe me, as a father of four boys, I have seen just about every personality). Maybe the light for Dwyer has finally turned on.... maybe he is giving it his all as a final push to be great. No one knows but Dwyer. Hope the best for him, but I guess I am not as sold on him as some are here on the board.
    Let's not forget that he came into camp 20 lbs lighter, having done it on his own, saying, in effect, that he now knows it's no one's job to get him in shape other than his own. He not only is talking the talk, him being 20 lbs lighter is also walking the walk. I think the kid is going to blow up this year. Once Redman has to take time off from a ding, JD is going to prove too talented and productive to keep on the bench. I have been high on this kid since the day they drafted him and I watched his highlight videos. The reason he dropped to the 7th round was he came into the combine super out of shape and that turned everyone off. This kid can ball. He it the hole with a burst and has size, speed and power. With our new OL, he is going to wreak havoc, if he can stay healthy. And watch what Ben and the WRs can do when we have a legit rushing threat, unlike we have had since....Bus was still near his prime....maybe in 2005, and we haven't really had a legit rushing threat since. Yea, it's a passing league, but having a legit rushing threat still makes it much easier for QBs, as play action MUST be reacted to by the safeties and LBs. And then Ben will torch Dees.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •