Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwyer is our best back....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Not yet, but lets hope he actually does something to deserve it during the season. That would be good for the team which is what matters.
    like what redman has done?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    The guy had 3 yards to go and he barely contested being driven out of bounds. When you are in a battle to get touches during the regular season, the only smart thing to do is finish the play.

Nice run; weak finish.
    I'm old enough to remember that exact same criticism being made about Franco Harris. He was always being criticized for going out of bounds versus lowering his shoulder. Not in a million years would I suggest that Dwyer is anything close to Franco but sometimes especially in the preseason you have to play smart.

I just watched the replay of the game yesterday and if you look at a few plays before that run Dwyer did a blitz pick up and put his shoulder into the blitzer and when I saw it it looked like he recoiled in a wierd way. I'm willing to bet that is when he actually hurt his shoulder and when he made that long run he felt someting which is why he didn't lower it into the oncoming tacklers. Don't really know, but just speculation.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    like what redman has done?
    I long ago came to change my opinion that Redman was going to be an OK back (and have stated it many time), but still don't believe him to be a top line starter. That train left the station a long time ago. You really should offer some of your own opinions and shape some thoughts versus worrying so much about what I say. It might actually add some value to the board.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I do offer my opinions. Maybe not multiple times in every thread like you, but they are there.

I hope dwyer can succeed, but he isn't better than redman right now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm old enough to remember that exact same criticism being made about Franco Harris. He was always being criticized for going out of bounds versus lowering his shoulder. Not in a million years would I suggest that Dwyer is anything close to Franco but sometimes especially in the preseason you have to play smart.

I just watched the replay of the game yesterday and if you look at a few plays before that run Dwyer did a blitz pick up and put his shoulder into the blitzer and when I saw it it looked like he recoiled in a wierd way. I'm willing to bet that is when he actually hurt his shoulder and when he made that long run he felt someting which is why he didn't lower it into the oncoming tacklers. Don't really know, but just speculation.
    If in fact he injured the shoulder on a previous play, then it does become understandable to me.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I do offer my opinions. Maybe not multiple times in every thread like you, but they are there.

I hope dwyer can succeed, but he isn't better than redman right now.

I have to agree with Eddie Spaghetti on this one....

When I first read the post I thought it was Ovi's twin brother posting...

Seriously though...Maybe Dwyer will be the better back..He has flashed some talent at times and was looking good in the preseason game....but there are a lot of players that have all kinds of talent on paper and for one reason or another (head case, injury, etc) never amount to anything in the NFL...

Right now IMO, Redman is the better back and others that are in the organization must also believe this...If Dwyer steps up and shows us the talent that many believed he had coming out of college then our RB competition will be a good problem to have....

SF

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You may be right, but I still think it reflects a lack of urgency on his part... a failure to realize what he has in front of him.

The stars only converge for us for a fleeting moment. It's your job to recognize that, and BE READY when they do. In Dwyer/Redman's case, the stars converged this off-season. How likely is it that an UDFA and a 6th round pick get a strong shot at one of only 32 starting RB jobs in the league? You may never get this chance again! (When I say this chance, I mean: You are young, you have no injuries, you have notread onyour tires, etc.) Your attitude should reflect a day-on-the-field one, where you are balls out. In many ways, you should approach it like a lot of people approach a contract year.

Legend

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Shoe;518765] Your attitude should reflect a day-on-the-field one, where you are balls out. In many ways, you should approach it like a lot of people approach a contract year.[/QUOTE]

If that were the case wouldn't they be home with Wallace worrying about getting hurt instead of playing?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Oviedo;518767]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Your attitude should reflect a day-on-the-field one, where you are balls out. In many ways, you should approach it like a lot of people approach a contract year.[/QUOTE]

If that were the case wouldn't they be home with Wallace worrying about getting hurt instead of playing?
    Wallace's contract year was last year. And he played pretty hard. He's a restricted free agent not a player entering his last year of a contract.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    if Dwyer gets the touches he will gain 8000 yards this season which should be good enough to earn pro bowl status.

however, I don't think he will beat out Redman for the starting RB job...
    He doesn't need to. If Redman gets 25 carries a game, he won't last and JD will get his shot.