Thread: "Honey Badger" Given The Boot...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rookie

User Info Menu

"Honey Badger" Given The Boot...

Where will he go?

Star DB Mathieu dismissed from LSU
    BATON ROUGE, La. -- There will be no more "Honey Badger" at LSU.

[URL="http://collegefootball.scout.com/a.z?s=194&p=8&c=1&nid=6269465"]Tyrann Mathieu[/URL] -- the star cornerback and kick returner who earned the nickname with his aggressive play

"This is a very difficult day for our team," Miles said. "We lose a quality person, teammate and contributor to the program. However, with that being said, we have a standard that our players are held to and when that standard is not met, there are consequences."
    Mathieu was the face of a fearsome LSU defense as the Tigers compiled a 13-0 regular season before losing to Alabama in the BCS title game. He won the Bednarik Award as the nation's best defensive player.

Mathieu was also a star kick returner for the Tigers, averaging 15.6 yards per return last season, and he finished fifth in the Heisman voting.

He also had a knack for big plays. Mathieu scored four touchdowns, intercepted two passes and forced six fumbles in 2011.

The specific reason for the ouster was not immediately clear, but Miles indicated it was due to a violation of team policy

"It was a longstanding rule set that is adhered to ... very comfortably administered," Miles said. "So I complied and agreed."
    Mathieu was suspended for one game last season, also due to a violation of team policy.

Prior to this news, LSU looked poised to bounce back strong from last season's disappointment in the title game. The Tigers were ranked No. 1 in the preseason coaches poll and were a popular pick to get back to championship-caliber.
    Miles described the move as "permanent" and said Mathieu will not be back.

Athletic director Joe Alleva called the news "absolutely heartbreaking."

Under NCAA rules, Mathieu could transfer to a lower-division school and play immediately or sit out one year and transfer to another FBS school. The junior still has two years of eligibility remaining.

Also gone from last year's defensive backfield for LSU is Morris Claiborne, an All-American who was drafted with the sixth overall pick in April's NFL Draft. Junior Tharold Simon and redshirt freshman Jalen Collins are next up at cornerback on the Tigers' depth chart.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tyrann Mathieu to enter NFL draft
    Updated: November 29, 2012, 4:01 PM ET
    By Joe Schad | ESPN

Former LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathieu announced Thursday he is entering the next NFL draft.

In a statement announcing his decision, Mathieu said, "it is time for me to move forward."

Mathieu thanked his parents and coach Les Miles in his statement, as well as his former LSU teammates.

"I am sorry that I was not able to complete my journey at LSU, but I will always support LSU in any way I can. To my teammates, you are my brothers. You have kept me going. I will do my best to make you all proud of me," he said.

Mathieu, known as the "Honey Badger," was a Heisman Trophy finalist known for his knack for making plays last year. But the 20-year-old Mathieu was suspended for this season due to a substance abuse issue he has continued to work on.

Mathieu was arrested last month on a possession of marijuana charge. He also was dismissed from the football team in August for failing a drug test and entered a treatment program run by former NBA player John Lucas.

Instead of transferring to another lower-division school to play this season, Mathieu re-enrolled at LSU but is not playing football.

Mathieu thanked LSU fans for their continued support and said he was working on his personal problems.

"I am committed to tackling my personal issues and will work to better myself every day as a man first and only then as a football player. I will always consider myself an LSU Tiger," he said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8689828/honey-badger-tyrann-mathieu-enter-nfl-draft[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Thanks for making such a cool post which is really very well written.will be referring a lot of friends about this. Keep Posting.
    Last edited by sonpari44; 02-01-2014 at 12:00 AM.
    [URL="http://www.plagiarism-checker.info/"]plagiarism-checker.info[/URL]

Rookie

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing.