Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food for Thought - Philadelphia Eagles.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

At 1-2 and the Offense giving up the ball too many times and the Defense failing to put games away -- it may be a lot to ask a vetern to come in and lead the defense again --- but inflicting pure pain and intimidation. But that's exactly what I'm hoping James Harrison can do this week and for the rest of the season!!! I realize "The Hate" may be on his final legs -- but I sure I hope not -- James Harrison this one is for you!

Jimmy Hate Hoagies

Ingredients:

1 poundbeef sirloin, cut into thin 2 inch strips
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 onion, sliced
    1 green bell pepper, julienned
    3 ounces Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
    4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise

Directions

Place the beef in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, marjoram and basil. Sprinkle over beef.

Heat half of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute beef to desired doneness, and remove from pan. Heat the remaining oil in the skillet, and saute the onion and green pepper.

Preheat oven on broiler setting.

Divide the meat between the bottoms of 4 rolls, layer with onion and green pepper, then top with sliced cheese. Place on cookie sheet, and broil until cheese is melted. Cover with tops of rolls, and serve.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

For Ramon Foster a trip to Tennessee is a homecoming -- having played his High School years in Tenn. and college with the Volunteers. Foster has worked very hard to play for the Steelers - signing as an UDFA and filling in when needed. I always really appreciate the guys who don't get drafted but work hard and play thier best --- these are the kinds of players that have made the difference between having an average season and an exceptional one. This one's for you Ramon - knock'em out this week in front of your home crowd on Primetime!

[URL="http://cdn.steelersgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ramon-Foster.jpg"][/URL]

Pecan, Whiskey Chicken -- Tennessee Style

1/2 cup finely chopped pecans1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    1/4 cup clarified butter, melted
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    2 2/3 tablespoons whiskey (Tennessee Jack Daniels will do)
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    3/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
    1/2 cup sliced green onions
    Directions

Stir together the pecans, bread crumbs, and 2 tablespoons of clarified butter. Spread the mixture out on a plate. Press the chicken breasts into the mixture to coat on both sides. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of clarified butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the coated chicken breasts in the pan, and fry on both sides until nicely browned and chicken meat is cooked through, about 10 minutes per side.

In a small saucepan, whisk together the Dijon mustard, brown sugar, whiskey, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, then remove from the burner, and whisk in the 3/4 cup of unsalted butter one piece at a time. Do not return to the heat.

Arrange the chicken breasts on a large serving plate. Pour the sauce over the chicken, and sprinkle with green onion.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bengals / Sunday Night Football --- in my house that definitely means PASTA!! The city of Cincinnatti is not only named after an Italian Soldier / Farmer --- The Natti also likes to do some strange things with Pasta --- or strange things to their Chili....I guess it depends on how you look at it. This week's recipe goes out to Keenan Lewis...who needs to bounce back after dropping an INT last week that meant the (possible) difference of winning and losing the game in Tennessee.

Statistically Lewis is having a very solid season -- 4th in tackles and leads the team in Passes Defended --- personally I think he's playing much better than fans are giving him credit for....Keenan this one is for you!

Baked Ziti

Ingredients

• 16 ounces package Ziti pasta
    • 1 pound lean ground beef
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • (2) 27-ounce cans/jars spaghetti sauce
    • 6 ounces provolone Cheese, sliced
    • 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
    • 1 1/2 cups sour cream
    • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

Instructions

Cook pasta as directed on the manufacturer's packaging. Drain and reserve. Meanwhile, saute the ground beef and chopped onion in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce and simmer about 15 minutes.

Place about half of the pasta in a lightly oiled 2-quart baking dish. Top with a layer of provolone and mozzarella cheeses. Spread on a layer of about half the sour cream and then half the spaghetti sauce mixture. Cover with the remaining pasta, cheese slices, sour cream, and sauce. Finally, sprinkle on a layer of Parmesan cheese.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree F [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/#"]oven[/URL] for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese and sauce are bubbly. Serve warm.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It would seem that if the Steelers can contain Robert Griffin III we stand a pretty good chance of winning.....of course that's much easier said than done. I believe our defense will need to rely on #94 Lawrence Timmons -- and that's why this week's recipe goes out to him. I'd like to think that Timmons is taking care of business on the field, but it seems like there are many games he just disappears...my hope is this Redskins game is a INT, 2 Forced Fumbles, and 2 Sacks kind of game for him....it's time to "roll 'em up".

Go Steelers!!

Roast Beast Roll Ups

1 pint ricotta cheese
    1 egg
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons Italian-style seasoning
    1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
    1 (16 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
    1 pound deli sliced roast beef

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian-style seasoning and half the mozzarella cheese and mix well. Place a spoonful of mixture onto a slice of roast beef and roll. Repeat with remaining beef.

Spread 1/2 cup of the spaghetti sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Place the beef rolls in the baking dish seam side down. Pour the remaining sauce over the beef rolls.

Bake covered at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 40 minutes, add the remaining mozzarella cheese over the top and bake for an additional 3 minutes, uncovered, until cheese is melted.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

As we face the Defending Super Bowl Champions this week I'm dedicating the recipe to #7 Ben Roethlisberger. Ben and Eli were both drafted in the same year, they both have won 2 Super Bowls and yet it just feels like everyone wants Eli to be considered "better"....maybe it's because he went higher in the draft, maybe it's because he plays in New York....either way I don't care....and I don't like it!

Ben Roethlisberger has looked superb in this new offense -- and it appears to me like he has a lot more ZIP on the ball when he's throwing it. Here's hoping that Ben has an outstanding game in New York -- and puts Eli to shame.

New York is known for great Italian food....but Ben is more of a Meat and Potatoes kind of player --- so I give you the best of both worlds.

Ben's Bronx-style Meat & Potatoes

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons olive oil
    2 pounds Italian sausage links, cut into 2-inch pieces
    1/4 cupolive oil
    4 large potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
    2 large green bell peppers, seeded and cut into wedges
    2 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut into wedges
    3 large onions, cut into wedges
    1/2 cup white wine
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the sausage until browned. Transfer the cooked sausage to a large baking dish. Pour 1/4 cup of olive oil into the skillet, and cook the potatoes, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes. Place the potatoes into the baking dish, leaving some oil. Cook and stir the green and red peppers and onions in the hot skillet until they are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the vegetables to the baking dish. Pour wine and chicken stock over the vegetables and sausage, and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Gently stir the sausage, potatoes, and vegetables together.

Bake in the preheated oven until hot and bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Monday Night Football in Kansas City in November....might be a good time to sit on you favorite sofa, crack open an ice beer, get underneath your Steeler Blanket and enjoy a bowl of Steak Soup...maybe with some crackers or crusty bread! Kansas City has a relatively famous restaurant called the Plaza III and their specialty is Steak Soup.

This recipe goes out to Casey Hampton -- I wish he had another 10 great years in him, because he has been the foundation to some of our best defenses. I was just thinking the other day that his career has seen probably the most AFC Championships and Super Bowls of any defensive player since the 70's. This one is for you Big Snack -- thanks for a great career.

The Soup

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup flour
    8 cups hot water
    2 lbs ground sirloin
    2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
    1 cup onions, chopped
    1 cup carrots, diced
    1 cup celery, sliced
    2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
    28 ounces canned tomatoes, diced
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 tablespoon Accent seasoning (optional) --- **I may try a little Creole seasoning.
    Directions

Melt butter in stock pot.
    Blend in flour to make a smooth paste.
    Gradually add hot water a little at a time.
    Whisking it smooth as you go.
    Simmer until smooth.
    Sauté beef in a large skillet and drain off fat
    Add meat, bouillon, all vegetables and seasonings to saucepan.
    Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are cooked.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We'll need any number of players to step up for us to put wins on the board until Ben Roethlisberger gets back behind center.

However I think for us to be successful we'll definitely need Byron Leftwich to be the downfield threat, and game manager to beat several of the teams still left on our schedule. I'm mixing up a little Baltimore flavor (Crab) and a little down south cuisine (Buttery Biscuits) for Byron this week -- as he was raised in Atlanta and played his college ball just 5 hours south of Pittsburgh with the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Good Luck Byron -- I'm pulling for you!

Southern Leftwich Crab Mornay

1 bunch green onions, chopped
    1/2 c. butter
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 pt. half and half
    8 oz. shredded Swiss cheese
    2 tbsp. dry white wine or vermouth
    Salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
    1 lb. lumped crabmeat, flaked
    Parmesan cheese, if desired

**Pasta or Biscuits

I'm choosing to stay with the Southern Flavor and serve on top of some steaming buttery biscuits.

In medium saucepan, saute green onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually add cream, stirring until sauce is smooth. (Do not overheat.) Add Swiss cheese, wine and seasonings; stir until cheese is melted. Gently stir in crabmeat. Spoon over Biscuits/or Pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
    Note: Serve over cooked pasta or biscuits.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think for us to have any chance of victory -- Charlie Batch is going to need to simply have the best game of his career --- Despite the fact that the FFT Mojo has worked against the past two Quarterbacks, I'm dedicating this one to Charlie Batch. After all this certainly could be his last season in the NFL. Good Luck Charlie, here's hoping you've saved the best for last.

(Not so Sorry Charlie) Tuna Melt

Ingredients
    2 teaspoonsvegetable oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 pinch kosher salt
    2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, packed in olive oil, drained
    1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
    1 tablespoon mayonnaise
    2 pinches cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon Cajun style blackened seasoning (Old Bay® recommended)
    1 pinch dried parsley
    1 teaspoonhot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
    2 slices pepperjack cheese
    4 slices Italian bread

Directions

1. Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and celery and season with a little kosher salt. Cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
    2. In a medium bowl, stir together the tuna, mustard, mayonnaise and the sauteed onion and celery. Season with cayenne, blackened seasoning, parsley, and hot pepper sauce. Spoon onto half of the bread slices. Top each one with a slice of pepperjack cheese and then the remaining slices of bread.
    3. Spread butter onto the outsides of the sandwich. Fry in a skillet over medium heat until golden brown on the outside and cheese has melted, about 5 minutes total.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This week's FFT recipe goes out to Mike Wallace. At times electric, and at other times (seemingly) an electric rod for fan blame. I for one still believe in Mike Wallace, and I also believe that NOW is the time for him to take over. Yes Antonio Brown and Sanders are solid -- and yes Heath Miller remains a via move the chains kind of guy....but Wallace is the one they all fear....and if Wallace can find his "zone" again I think this offense goes from good to downright Dangerous.

There's still time in the regular season to grab your confindence and begin making a serious playoff run! Granted the guy may not be in a Steelers uniform next season -- but he still has time to get us to the Super Bowl and get a ring for himself! Come on Mike --- you got this!

Since this is one of the few games that are early and since it will be 10 am in San Diego at kick-off I thought I'd throw something out there that's Southwest and brunch like!

#17 Break-FAST Burrito

Ingredients:

Original recipe makes 20 burritos
    12eggs
    2/3 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 pound bulk pork sausage
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1/2 red onion, diced
    1 tomato, diced
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 (3.5 ounce) can diced jalapenos (optional)
    1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
    1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    20 (6 inch) flour tortillas
    Directions

Whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt in a large bowl. Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour in the egg mixture; cook and stir until eggs are completely set, about 5 minutes. Chop the cooked eggs and place in a large bowl. Set aside.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and stir in the sausage and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes, then add the onion. Continue cooking and stirring until the sausage is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink. Drain and discard any excess grease. Combine the sausage with the eggs, tomato, cilantro, jalapeno, and taco seasoning. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature, then stir in the Cheddar cheese.

Place a tortilla onto your work surface, then spoon some of the filling halfway between the bottom edge and the center of the tortilla. Flatten the filling into rectangle shape with the back of a spoon. Fold the bottom of the tortilla snugly over the filling, then fold in the left and right edges. Roll the burrito up to the top edge, forming a tight cylinder. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.

Tightly wrap individual burritos with plastic wrap and freeze until ready to serve. Heat in the microwave until hot, 3 to 4 minutes, before serving.