Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food for Thought - Philadelphia Eagles.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Food for Thought - Indianapolis Colts

For those of you new to this thread/idea - each week I try to come up with a dish that goes perfect with the team we're playing against. Orginally this was developed to offer some alternatives to Pizza and Burgers that become tiresome as the season wears on.

I recently started a new job - so the Pre-Season game kind of snuck up on me. Here's to a great new season!!

This Pre-Season I'm going to focus on the lesser known players....The Steelers have always been able to find and develop players who were either undrafted or drafted very late....here's hoping some of these guys impress over the next few weeks.

This one goes out to lineback Adrian The Robot Robinson who went to school near Philadelphia at Temple University - making this a bit of a homecoming for him.

Eagle Salad

Ingredients

3 pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts
    1 (49 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
    1 cup finely chopped celery
    1/2 cup finely chopped water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper (the recipe suggests Red Pepper - but I think I'll use Green Peppers for the "Eagles")
    1/2 cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
    1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    3 cups mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper

Preparation

1. Place chicken breasts in a large skillet; add chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from skillet, and let stand 15 minutes or until cool to touch. Shred chicken.
    2. Combine shredded chicken, celery, water chestnuts, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
    3. Stir together mayonnaise, ground red pepper, salt, and white pepper until well blended; spoon over shredded chicken mixture, stirring to coat. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
    4. Shrimp Salad: Substitute 3 pounds chopped cooked shrimp for chicken breasts and broth. Do not cook. Reduce mayonnaise to 2 cups and salt to 1/4 teaspoon. Proceed with recipe as directed

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lonbull; 08-19-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Food for thought is back! Football season has official returned! (now, to celebrate, I'm going to have to go find my ol' Gladiator pic to put back for my in-season sig rather than this Platypus/Keytar Venn Diagram).

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Another sign of football season

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Food for Thought - Indianapolis Colts.

Since tonight's game against the Colts reunites two Stanford 1st rounders I thought I would dedicate this recipe to David DeCastro. I didn't know much about DeCastro (outside of where he played college and the fact that he's now a Steeler), but I discovered via Wikipedia that he's of South African Decent -- so FFT is traveling across the globe in search of South African Cuisine.

In doing so I discoved Potjiekos -- which translates to stewing food in a Cast Iron pot over an open flame. Obviously you could also make this on top of a BBQ --- I really liked the idea that the food simmered in Cast Iron -- so I'm dedicating this one to DeCastro.

DeCast Iron Chicken - South African Style

12 chicken thighs Salt and pepper'
    Oil
    3 onions, sliced into rings

4 cloves garlic, crushed
    500g baby potatoes
    250g fresh button mushrooms, wiped clean

Sauce:

410g apricot halves
    Apricot juice

10ml soy sauce
    1 juice and rind of a lemon

Method

Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and fry in a little oil till brown.
    Sauté the onion and garlic till soft and add the whole mushrooms. Fry till brown.
    Arrange in layers in a black pot, alternating with the chicken thighs and potatoes.
    Drain the apricot halves and reserve the syrup.
    Add enough apricot juice to the syrup to make 400 ml.
    Add the remaining sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken.
    Cover and simmer slowly till the chicken and potatoes are done.
    Add the apricot halves just before the end of the cooking time and heat through.
    Serve with fresh breadrolls.
    Serves 8.

[URL="http://c4241337.r37.cf2.rackcdn.com/2012/222/211/david_original.jpg"][/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Food For Thought - Buffalo Bills

It's Buffalo, so you just know the Buffalo Wing Sauce is getting broken out a little early in the season.....what you don't see coming is that I'm adding Bacon into the mix....now tell me you're not hungry???

This week's recipe goes out to Rookie Chris Rainey, with the injuries we've got at Running Back I believe Rainey will get an early chance to shine this season, here's hoping he takes advantage of it and proves what a dangerous open field runner he can be!!

Rainey's Sizzling Buffalo Chicken Wraps!

Ingredients
    • 1 pound thin-sliced bacon
    • 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
    • 3 pounds skinless, boneless [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/#"]chickenbreast[/URL] halves, cut into bite size pieces
    • 1/4 cup Buffalo wing sauce (I'll be using Frank's).
    • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
    • 12 (10 inch) [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/#"]flour[/URL] tortillas
    • 1 cup diced fresh [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/#"]tomato[/URL]
    • 3/4 cup ranch dressing, divided

Directions

1. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble when cool.
    2. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings, and cook and stir the chicken breast chunks until browned, about 10 minutes. Cover the skillet and allow chicken to continue cooking until no longer pink inside and the juices run clear, about 10 more minutes. Stir in the Buffalo sauce and melted butter until chicken is thoroughly coated. Stir in the crumbled bacon. Keep the mixture warm.
    3. Heat the tortillas, one at a time, in a large ungreased skillet over medium heat until they begin to form air bubbles and small brown spots. Fill each each warmed tortilla with about 1/3 cup of the chicken filling and a tablespoon or so of tomatoes; sprinkle the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of ranch dressing. Wrap the tortilla around the filling; serve warm.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Food For Thought - Carolina Panthers

FFT was originally concieved to offer up something different from your Standard Burgers and Pizza.....however this week I've decided to go with one of the old stand-bys....but with a bit of a Cajun/Southern Twist -- to honor our Southern Style Foes the Carolina Panthers.

This recipe goes out to Rookie Sean Spence -- Linebackers have been an "old stand-by" in Pittsburgh for the past....oh....40 some odd years -- and Spence has a chance to become part of this proud tradition. Here's hoping Spence becomes just another great Steeler Linebacker.

Cajun Smash-Mouth Burgers

Ingredients
    • 1 pound ground beef
    • 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
    • 1 [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/#"]egg[/URL]
    • 3 green onions, chopped
    • 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
    • 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
    • 1/4 cup barbeque sauce
    • 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
    • 4 slices Cheddar cheese

***Also make sure to have Mustard, Mayo, Lettuce, Tomato, and Red Onion for additional Toppings.

Directions

1. Preheat grill for high heat.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, green onions, 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, and mustard. Form into 4 patties.
    3. In a small bowl, blend the barbeque sauce and 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning.
    4. Lightly oil the grill grate, and cook the patties 5 minutes per side, or until well done. Place a slice of cheese on each burger, and allow to melt. Serve with seasoned barbeque sauce.

Legend

User Info Menu

[url]http://local.msn.com/events/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=253581594&FORM=2400[/url]
    Here is a list of beers for all 32 teams

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Food For Thought - Denver Broncos

This one goes out to Hall Of Famer Dick LeBeau. Here's to a Coach/Coordinator who's living his passion and remaining a figure of excellence in his field. Here's hoping the Steelers Defense delievers a Birthday victory for him this Sunday against the Broncos!

This recipe is brought to you by the Rialto Cafe in Denver. It features a little more Franks Red Sauce -- which has been used in a previous recipe -- so if you're making these recipes no need to keep that Red Sauce "on the bench".

Hall of Famer Kettle Chip Nachos

3/4 cup cream
    1/2 cup whole milk
    1/2 cup cream cheese
    1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese
    1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Kettle (Potato) Chips - (I'll probably buy two bags of Kettle Chips mixing in a Jalepeno/BBQ/and maybe Salt & Pepper --- we'll see?!?)

**Optional - Diced Tomatos & Sour Cream -- I'll probably use them for toppings!!

Bring cream and milk to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 3 minutes. Wisk in cream cheese, gorgonzola cheese, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Pour over kettle chips. Garnish with scallions, diced red pepper and parsley!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Sometimes you just have to go with something simple - the fundamentals, the basics. This recipe goes out to Ryan Clark, poor guy has missed his last two starts for the simple fact that they were both in Denver, and I for one believe we would have won the playoff game had he been able to play!

Ryan isn't necessarily a big splash kind of player, but I believe he allows other guys on the defense to gamble more -- while he simply "owns" the middle of the field.

Welcome back Private Ryan, this one is for you.

NY Style (off the cart) Hot Dogs

Onion Sauce Ingredients:

1/2 cup water
    1 teaspoon cornstarch or arrowroot
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 tablespoon inexpensive [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/my_ingredients/zen_of_balsamic_vinegar.html"]balsamic vinegar[/URL]
    1 teaspoon [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/my_ingredients/zen_of_mustards.html"]Dijon-style mustard[/URL]
    1 teaspoon [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/my_ingredients/index.html#brown_sugar"]brown sugar[/URL]
    1/4 teaspoon [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/my_ingredients/zen_of_chiles.html"]hot pepper sauce
    [/URL]1 pinch of cinnamon1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 large red onions, peeled thoroughly andsliced thin
    1/4 teapoon table [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/my_ingredients/zen_of_salt.html"]salt[/URL]
    2 cloves of pressed or minced [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/my_ingredients/zen_of_garlic.html"]garlic[/URL]
    About the onions. Red onions often have an extra layer of tough paper under the outer layer. Make sure you remove it.About the tomato paste. If you want, you can substitute a 2 tablespoons of ketchup or a sweet tomato based [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/BBQ_sauces/kansas_city_classic_BBQ_sauce.html"]Kansas City style barbecue sauce[/URL] for the tomato paste.
    The hot dog:

4 all-beef frankfurters, preferably Sabretts
    4 buns
    Sauerkraut from the refrigerator section, not the can
    Spicy brown Dijon-style mustard
    Directions:

1) Combine the water and cornstarch in a bowl and whisk it until there are no more lumps. whisk in the tomato paste, balsamic, mustard, brown sugar, hot sauce, and cinnamon.2) Warm the oil in a large skillet, not a non-stick, over medium high heat. Add the onions and sprinkle with the salt. This helps pull the moisture out. Move them around occasionally with a wooden spoon so they don't burn. Cook until the edges start to brown. Whatever you do, do not let them burn. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.3) Add the liquid, stir, and rub the pan with the wooden spoon to scrape up all the flavorful fond, the brown bits on the bottom. Turn the stove to low and simmer with the lid on for 1 hour. Check frequently to make sure it is not burning and the water has not evaporated. Add water if needed. The final result should be thick, not runny, but not pasty. After an hour, taste and adjust salt and other flavors as you wish.4) While the onions are simmering, warm the kraut in a pan or for 15 seconds in the microwave, [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/cooking_hot_dogs.html"]cook the franks[/URL], and [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/preparing_buns.html"]prepare the buns[/URL].5) Lovingly place the frank on the bun, squirt on the mustard, add the onions, and then the kraut. Hum quietly, Here we go Steelers, Here we GO!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This Week the FFT recipe goes out to Emmanuel Sanders -- who has kind of become the "under the radar" / forgotten weapon on this Steelers Offense --- I think this could very well be a huge year for Emmanuel --- and for the Steelers sake the team may NEED it to be a huge year for Emmanuel this year.

Here's hoping for a break-out game, and no better time than this week against Oakland.

Since we're in California I decided to mix in a little West Coast Flavor -- with some tasty Shrimp Tacos!

Ingredients

1 (12 ounce) package bacon, cut into small pieces
    1/2 onion, diced
    2 pounds large cooked shrimp - peeled, deveined, and cut in half
    3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
    12 corn tortillas
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 lime, juice
    salt to taste (optional)

Directions

In a large, deep skillet fry the bacon over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain the bacon fat. Add the onions to the pan with the bacon and cook 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Stir in the shrimp and chipotle chiles; cook 4 minutes or until heated through.

Heat tortillas on an ungreased skillet over medium-high heat for 10 to 15 seconds. Turn and heat for another 5 to 10 seconds. Fill the heated tortillas with shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with cilantro, lime juice, and salt.