Thread: Steeler uniforms rank 7th out of 122 major pro sports teams (#3 in NFL behind CHI/GB)

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Steeler uniforms rank 7th out of 122 major pro sports teams (#3 in NFL behind CHI/GB)

Ahead of some powerhouses like the Yankees and Celtics, too! The other Pittsburgh teams also had respectable showing as well, but not quite top ten status like our Stillers (Penguins #26, Pirates #29).

http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/8295892/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-nfl-mlb-nba-nhl-uniforms-1-122

Some fans still haven't gotten over the Steelers' move away from block uni numbers 15 years ago, but the team's basic look is still as strong as ever. They're also the only NFL team with a logo on just one side of the helmet, a quirk that scores a few points in the intangibles column. Ditto for the cross sewn onto Troy Polamalu's jersey (which probably would prompt a fine if not for the fact that it's usually covered by his hair).
    Frankly, I had no idea about Troy's sewn-on cross. That would likely be a fine for uniform violation (like Ben was told he'd receive if he continued to write PFJ on his shoes back when he was a rookie), but no one can see it behind that mane of his.

Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 08-25-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Legend
    I never knew about the cross either. Nice find.

I think the one thing the Steelers could do to make their uni's perfect would be to take player names off the backs. Then once you owned a number, you'd be good to go for life every time that number gets recycled.

The NFL/Steelers probably think they'd sell less jerseys. But I'd be inclined to think people might end up buying more. I avoid buying some jerseys until I know a guy's with us for the long haul. But without a name, I'd more likely buy a cool number.

Except, I'd still hesitate to buy a Wallace jersey. Because if he ends up leaving even 10 years from now, I'd might be stuck with a punter's jersey for the rest of my days.

They need to add a touch more gold back to the uniforms and bring back some form of the blocked numbers. Then it would be perfect.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Blah- I HATE the Packers and Bears uni's, but I'm really not into "old school" either. The Steelers could have done some cool things to change things up a little, but they are still waaaaaaay better than Chicago and GB's. I dig the logo on the one side a lot though- GREAT touch!