Thread: Female college ref to work game

Legend

User Info Menu

Female college ref to work game

Female college ref to work game

The Associated Press

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/news/female-college-ref-game-174538541--nfl.html;_ylt=AvqNb3y.fwdlmLHdrp9O7llDubYF;_ylu=X3 oDMTRtYmgwdHAwBG1pdANMSVNUUyBNaXhlZCBsaXN0IE5GTCBo ZWFkbGluZXMEcGtnAzBiNmFiM2ZhLTM5NjYtMzljNC04MGRhLT Y2YzliNDAzN2E2YgRwb3MDNARzZWMDTWVkaWFCTGlzdE1peGVk TFBDQVRlbXAEdmVyAzkyMjM4YjEwLWRmZjUtMTFlMS1iZWE3LT UxOThjODA1MjdiYQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoZHY1MWJpBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuZmwEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3[/url]

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Shannon Eastin will become the first female to officiate an NFL game when she works as a line judge for the Green Bay at San Diego preseason match Thursday night.

The regular NFL officials have been locked out by the league.

Eastin is a college referee who has worked in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (FCS division). She is one of the replacement officials hired by the NFL and has 16 years of experience.

A resident of Tempe, Ariz., Eastin also has won six national judo championships. She was the youngest judo athlete ever to train at the U.S. Olympic Training Center, doing so when she was 11.

The officiating team for the Hall of Fame game Sunday night included officials who have worked college games and some professional games, such as in the Arena Footbal League.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

A judo champion ref, huh? I wonder if she was trained by this guy?

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    A judo champion ref, huh? I wonder if she was trained by this guy?

Female college ref, eh?

Can't be worse than this doddering ol' guy who can't even figure out what sport he's supposed to be officiating!

"Steeee......RIKE!!!"

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Female college ref, eh?

Can't be worse than this doddering ol' guy who can't even figure out what sport he's supposed to be officiating!

"Steeee......RIKE!!!"
    Two minutes for cross-checking. Home team has the possession arrow. Play ball.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Replacement officials step onto big stage
    August 9, 2012 12:21 am
    [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/replacement-officials-step-onto-big-stage-648192/[/url]
    By Brandon Boyd / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

David DeCastro and Mike Adams will not be the only ones making their NFL debuts tonight in a preseason game.

Like rookies manning an NFL field for the first time, many, if not all of the referees, will be making their first NFL appearances. A dispute between the NFL and the NFL Referees Association has left the usual referees locked out. As a result, the NFL has hired referees with experience in college football, arena football, and, yes, even lingerie football.

Several replacement officials participated in the Hall of Fame game Sunday with less-than-stellar results. Even the coin toss did not go smoothly.

Craig Ochoa, who has refereed Division I football and the Lingerie Football League, flipped a commemorative coin to start the game. He then incorrectly announced that the New Orleans Saints had won the toss and deferred. As he started to walk away, he caught his mistake.

"Correction, Arizona has won the toss," he said.

The replacement referees committed a litany of errors, many of which were listed in a statement released Monday by the NFLRA. Some of the errors included a no call for offensive holding in the end zone and a no call for a helmet-to-helmet hit on a defenseless player.

Gene Steratore, of Washington, Pa.,, is one of the locked-out referees. This will -- or would, if the NFL and NFLRA don't reach a deal -- be his 10th year as an NFL referee. Steratore said even those with college football experience will not be ready to referee NFL games.

"It is not something you can just say 'Oh, yeah, I worked college football for 10 years.' It's completely different."

Steratore spent 17 years working as a college referee before making the jump to the NFL.

"There are many more nuances in the NFL game," he said. "The NFL rules, and as they need to be applied, are an extremely great task to handle."

Steratore then rattled off a hypothetical situation with different penalties on both teams, all occurring at different times.

"Sometimes, there's three flags on the field, and you didn't throw any of them. You have three guys running at you and all have different fouls," he said.

"When did that one occur? When did this one occur?" he said, adding a few more questions that have to be answered. "Then, you have to turn around on live TV and announce it.

"And don't forget the players' numbers, please."

Steratore said examples like this are just part of what an NFL referee deals with, which makes it tough for him to envision the replacement officials doing well.

"I believe they are put in a position that's going to be tough for them to succeed," he said. "It's not a fair task for them."

If Steratore was not currently an NFL referee, he said he would not be a replacement official.

"I would not be crazy enough to put myself in that position, knowing what level of work it takes to do this and do it accurately," he said, before joking that his advice to the replacement officials would be to say to the coaches " 'I don't think the first-[string] guys should play. Just go to the third [string] or fourth.' "

That is because one other major factor in refereeing the NFL involves the speed of the game. The starters are typically the fastest players, but, in preseason games, starters usually play only for a short time.

If the NFL and NFLRA do not reach an agreement by the time the regular season begins, Steratore said officiating could become even more difficult for the replacements.

"The speed isn't here yet. The speed is not close yet in the preseason," he said. "In a month from now, it'll be different when [the Steelers] go to Denver. That speed is real."

Read more: [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/replacement-officials-step-onto-big-stage-648192/#ixzz231awulV1[/url]

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

the female ref did a heckuva lot better job officiating than some of her male counterparts, that's for sure!

did you guys see where the referees called a touchback on the punt that was downed on the 4-yard line?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Rookie

User Info Menu

nice pics............
    [url=http://www.chessrivals.net/]http://www.chessrivals.net/[/url]