Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starkey: Steelers need Mike Wallace

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The real question is "how much worse are we without him?"
    Exactly.

He makes us better sure.
    But the question is: Does he make us better than we would be making the sacrifices to the team necessary to support the salary he could get elsewhere?
    I submit that we would throw the salary balance off doing that.

Larry Fitzs team has a great receiver, but they aint getting no rings anytime soon.

The Giants the Pats? They did not have all there money tied up in one receiver. Look where it got them.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

False accusations about collusion to sell his article. BS
    We already have gone through this.
    NOONE wanted to OVERpay him and ALSO give up a 1st rounder. Yet that is the only way it gets done.

If they try to sign him to a legit contract, the Steelers would say thanks for doing our homework for us. Everyone knew they had a number in their heads that was worth letting him go to get the first rounder. Noone wanted to do the work for the Steelers or overpay.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. None of it matters. He will be in camp soon. There is no way in hell it makes sense for him to hold out and miss games. It's not going to happen. He will be there. I pay zero attention to any news/talk of Wallace not being there. It's just a waste of time.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. None of it matters. He will be in camp soon. There is no way in hell it makes sense for him to hold out and miss games. It's not going to happen. He will be there. I pay zero attention to any news/talk of Wallace not being there. It's just a waste of time.
    I don't see MW reporting for work until practice begins for the first game of the season against the Broncos. I hope he does come in sooner though. The 'team' does need him.
    "Let's see...who do we play next Sunday?"

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e152/dart5219/BeliCheat.jpg

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The real question is "how much worse are we without him?"
    This year in particular? Significantly. Sanders has not proven that he is durable, and the Steelers are one Sanders injury away from not having a proven #3 WR.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    The Giants the Pats? They did not have all there money tied up in one receiver. Look where it got them.
    New England is paying Welker $9.5 million this season.

The Giants will be in the exact same boat with Nicks and Cruz and the Steelers are with Wallace and Brown.

Nicks has been in the NFL for 3 years and has 202 catches for 3034 yards and 24 TD's. He signed a 5 year deal as a 1st round pick.
    Wallace has been in the NFL for 3 years and has 171 catches for 3206 yards and 24 TD's. He signed a 3 year deal as a 3rd round pick.

Cruz broke out in his 2nd NFL season with 82 catches for 1536 yards and 9 TD's. He'll be an RFA next year.
    Brown broke out in his 2nd NFL season with 69 catches for 1108 yards and 2 TD's. He would have been an RFA next year.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Source: Wallace not on trading block for Steelers

August 7, 2012
    By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers do not expect Mike Wallace to report to training camp before they depart St. Vincent College Aug. 18, but they have no intention of trading their Pro Bowl wide receiver at any point this season, a team source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Wallace has yet to sign a one-year tender worth $2.7 million and the Steelers have not heard from him since training camp began July 25. However, several players remain in contact with him.

The source also said the Steelers will wait several weeks before they decide if they need to sign a veteran free-agent receiver.

The Steelers feel as though they have been more than fair with Wallace because they did not rescind or reduce his one-year tender in June -- which they were entitled to do under the guidelines of the collective bargaining agreement.

But they told Wallace they will not have any further discussions on a potential long-term contract until he signs his tender and reports to the team.

The Steelers are not overly optimistic they can sign Wallace to a long-term deal, but he can still play for them this season and then be labeled a "franchise" or "transition" player in 2013.

Wallace's holdout has upset Coach Mike Tomlin, who is no longer supportive of his big-play receiver, a team source said.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/source-wallace-not-on-trading-block-for-steelers-647985/#ixzz22tg9PoE7[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    New England is paying Welker $9.5 million this season.
    Yes, and Fitz made DOUBLE THAT (40 mil over first 2 years).
    If Wallace would go for $9.5 million there is no doubt he would be signed already. Heck Browns is gonna make 9 mil. The problem is that Wallace knows he can make WAY MORE elsewhere.
    If Wallace wants to maximize his potential salary our choices are to spend a lopsided amount on one receiver because someone else will do just that.
    I go back to Fitz. They went to the SB they had a far better set when they weren't overpaying a receiver. Now they have ONE elite receiver and will NEVER sniff a SB for the foreseeable future.

The Giants will be in the exact same boat with Nicks and Cruz and the Steelers are with Wallace and Brown. Nicks has been in the NFL for 3 years and has 202 catches for 3034 yards and 24 TD's. He signed a 5 year deal as a 1st round pick.
    Wallace has been in the NFL for 3 years and has 171 catches for 3206 yards and 24 TD's. He signed a 3 year deal as a 3rd round pick.

Cruz broke out in his 2nd NFL season with 82 catches for 1536 yards and 9 TD's. He'll be an RFA next year.
    Brown broke out in his 2nd NFL season with 69 catches for 1108 yards and 2 TD's. He would have been an RFA next year.
    Yes, and they are DUMB is they overpay either of them. No receiver is worth the pay the elite receivers get. Both the Steelers and the Giants demonstrate that. It aint that hard to draft good young receivers. Burress was key to BOTH TEAMS and was replaced. Stonio is gone, replaced with the guy who some want to break the bank for.

You pay elite money to QBs, because great ones are hard to find. All you need are GOOD receivers not great and they are EVERYWHERE.

Sure with Wallace we are better if there is no cap. But the high-end salaries given to an elite receiver (over a hundred mil recently) can go a long way to keeping an elite TEAM intact.

We are gonna be a worse TEAM overall if Wallace gets elite money. NO RECEIVER is worth that much.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-08-2012 at 01:22 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Ray Rice wanted an Adrian Peterson like $100 million contract. He settled for roughly half that.

Wallace reported wants a Larry Fitzgerald like $100 million contract. He'll likely settle for about half that too.

These long term deals do not hinge on the total dollars over the life of the entire contract, or the average-per-year that we all automatically assign as soon as we see the contract parameters (because non-guaranteed base salaries a half-decade from now may not actually exist anymore). The kicker is always the signing bonus and other guaranteed dollars. Brown's deal was big, but it only had an $8.5 million signing bonus, which is quite modest in this market. If he doesn't live up to this contract over the coming seasons (not that I necessarily foresee that, but still...), he could easily be cut without a massive dead money hit on our cap. I predict that Wallace's ultimate deal will only be slightly more than Brown's in total dollars and average-per-year, but I think his signing bonus will be at least double and the total guaranteed money in Wallace's deal could be triple that. That would provide him the security that he would be looking for.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Ray Rice wanted an Adrian Peterson like $100 million contract. He settled for roughly half that.

Wallace reported wants a Larry Fitzgerald like $100 million contract. He'll likely settle for about half that too.

These long term deals do not hinge on the total dollars over the life of the entire contract, or the average-per-year that we all automatically assign as soon as we see the contract parameters (because non-guaranteed base salaries a half-decade from now may not actually exist anymore). The kicker is always the signing bonus and other guaranteed dollars. Brown's deal was big, but it only had an $8.5 million signing bonus, which is quite modest in this market. If he doesn't live up to this contract over the coming seasons (not that I necessarily foresee that, but still...), he could easily be cut without a massive dead money hit on our cap. I predict that Wallace's ultimate deal will only be slightly more than Brown's in total dollars and average-per-year, but I think his signing bonus will be at least double and the total guaranteed money in Wallace's deal could be triple that. That would provide him the security that he would be looking for.
    I think you are right on the money. Most of the big deals signed by WRs this year did not include a lot of guaranteed money or big signing bonuses. I though before that Wallace would sign for a deal similar to what Brown signed, but with more in guarantees. The Steelers can control Wallace for roughly 3 years at salaries of roughly $2.7, 10 and $12 million, with the option to ditch him at any time if they see fit. A 5 year deal with roughly $18-22 million guaranteed gives him more security with a similar payout.