Thread: I could use some computer help!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I could use some computer help!

So a storm surge blew out my electricity, and now my computer tower and monitor both power on and the computer is definitely running as all the sounds are there and I know I have logged on based on the audio that is present, BUT....

I have no video output to either my monitor or my TV which I hook up with an HDMI. I believe the power surge fried my video card. It was an integrated card - ATI Radeon HD 3200 Shared video memory (UMA) - do you think that is what happened, and if so, do you think I can justt install a discrete video card and have everything work fine?

here is a link to my computer details if it helps at all:

[url]http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-dx4300-05/4507-3118_7-33743840.html[/url]

PLEASE HELP!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'd start with the video card. Get a cheap one and try it. Then go to the power supply. I'm having the same issue. Actually I might do the power supply first bc that's probably your problem. Just bc it powers up doesn't mean it's working.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I'd start with the video card. Get a cheap one and try it. Then go to the power supply. I'm having the same issue. Actually I might do the power supply first bc that's probably your problem. Just bc it powers up doesn't mean it's working.
    Thanks for the reply. Luckily I figured it out already. We had an old computer laying around at work I was able to try to video card from since that was my first guess too. No dice.

What ended up working was reducing the number of RAM sticks I had in. I had 3 which I had removed and reseated all of them without any luck. When I removed two and tried it with only one stick in it fired right up, no problems at all! So I tried it the same way with the other 2 sticks and all 3 worked, so I replaced all 3 back in and everything works great. No idea why that made it work, but it did and I got away without spending a dime!