Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football Outsiders lists Cortez Allen as NFL's #4 prospect

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Football Outsiders lists Cortez Allen as NFL's #4 prospect

Here are the criteria:

Drafted in the third round or later, or signed as an undrafted free agent
    Entered the NFL between 2009 and 2011
    Fewer than five career games started
    Still on their initial contract
    Age 26 or younger in 2012

(For what it's worth, Mike Wallace topped this list in 2010 following his rookie campaign)

Here is what they had to say about Cortez:

4. Cortez Allen, CB, Pittsburgh Steelers

When the Steelers drafted Allen in the fourth round out of The Citadel, he was considered by many to be a long-term project at corner. The Steelers had success picking Ike Taylor in the fourth round in similar circumstances. As a rookie, it was Allen who saw playing time in dime packages while third-round cornerback Curtis Brown stuck to special teams. In the Steelers' Week 8 win over the Patriots, Pittsburgh used Allen regularly to cover New England's athletic tight ends. Allen has long limbs, a very smooth backpedal and can play physical. He should move up to the nickel back role this year, but don't be surprised if he beats out Keenan Lewis for a starting CB job in training camp.

You can find the entire top-25 list here: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...-top-prospects

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Pro Bowler
    WOW. That's interesting. Considering that probably no one outside of Pittsburgh even knows who he is. (Even most Pittsburgh "fans" probably don't know!)

Either the person who compiled the list is a unabashed homer, or they know something that maybe even we don't (i.e. talking to coaches), etc. This makes me feel more optimistic; I can't wait to watch him in preseason.

Legend
    I'm on record as saying that Curtis Brown is a better player than Allen. I hope Allen becomes a superstar but Brown is not getting the credit he deserves as the most athletic CB we have. A ball comes his way I'm not worried about him dropping it.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm on record as saying that Curtis Brown is a better player than Allen. I hope Allen becomes a superstar but Brown is not getting the credit he deserves as the most athletic CB we have. A ball comes his way I'm not worried about him dropping it.
    I thought Cortez had more physical ability and potential than Curtis (oozing with upside), but thought that Brown was a more polished corner (coming from Texas rather than the Citadel). But the fact that Allen saw the field on defense before Brown tells me that Allen has more polish and potential. No knock on Brown necessarily...I see him as more of a Deshea-like prospect (solid and undervalued), but see Cortez as more of an Ike-like prospect (potentially dominant...and hopefully with better hands).

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

His name might as well be Joe Burnett!

Personally I like Both Allen & Brown.

Both have shown glimpses of potential in the NFL already. Brown on Special Teams and Allen against N.E.

It'll be nice to see both push Lewis for playing time.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Interesting that he offered his opinion about him beating out Lewis. What is up with that? Lewis seems to have a lot going for him, but a dark cloud over his head.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Interesting that he offered his opinion about him beating out Lewis. What is up with that? Lewis seems to have a lot going for him, but a dark cloud over his head.
    well, he certainly won't beat out taylor.

so lewis is the logical assumption.

Pro Bowler
    Not bashing your opinion, but why wasn't he a superstar then at UT? He caathlme in highly touted, so it's not like he didn't have the momentum to make a name for himself there for some reason. He got a lot of playing time... UT has a history of producing good DBs...

From all reports, he's very athletic. But being that athletic, I wonder why he wasn't drafted higher than he was (i.e. something must be missing).

Hall of Famer
    allen has prototypical CB size. i'm hoping he's the starter opposite Ike

keeps brown in the slot