Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers under the radar, thankfully

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    too bad Crash isn't still here, he would have had an aneurysm reading that statement.

don't you know that Haley is nothing but a golf coach who never would have gotten the Steelers' OC job if it wasn't for his Daddy?
    While I don't want to go that far I don't think Haley has proven anything yet. Let's wait to the season starts and see if the offense starts scoring TDs instead of constantly having to settle for FGs before we give Haley kudos. Don't get me wrong ... I hope that happens. I'm just not as sure as some of you are that it will.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    In fairness, we do have a lot of question marks.

We're starting the season without Casey, Hoke, and Smitty. We've been without Smitty. But Casey and Hoke are some big shoes to fill. Not sure anyone outside of Pittsburgh faithful know that McClendon is ready to be the next beast on the DLine. At the end of the day, our D has been as good as our 3 linemen, even though they aren't the stars on this defense.

Then you've got questions about Harrison's health. And whatever you want to say about leadership void mattering or not, Farrior was the man on this team even though his on field performance has been sliding. Timmons is an athletic freak. But moving him around. Misusing his talents, he's hot and cold.

In the front 7, the only guys everyone is absolutely confident in are Keisel and Woodley. And probably the 3rd safest player is Larry Foote. Underrated by everyone, but he'll be a steady eddy and make the plays we need him to make.

Then we've got uncertainty at DB. 2 safeties that can't cover. Our #1 CB can't catch. And a question mark at the other corner. Loads of questions on D. And Troy's 30 now and his whole game is predicated on speed. Can he continue to be the superstar that covers up for everyone on D still?

Then on O, we've got no proven WR on the roster. Ward was ineffective last year, but both he and Wallace are gone. Cotchery is probably a #3 WR at best and he's the only proven commodity we've got. Who knows if Brown can't get off the LOS against a top CB. Or if Sanders can stay healthy.

Can Redman avoid fumbling the ball? Can he carry the load for an extended period? If not, we have no other proven commodities.

Our Oline could still be a mess at this point. Is Pouncey's ankles good enough to hold up? Are DD and MA ready to transition to the NFL? Can we live without big Max? Couldn't in the past. And do you really trust Colon to stay healthy after 2 years of missing seasons? And does he handle the switch? About the only lineman I trust 100% is Gilbert.

Can we use Heath in the passing game? or does he have to help the line?

There's a load of fair question marks. And at the end of the day, we might only have 1 or 2 SuperStars left on the roster. Definitely 1 in Ben. But the 2nd is questionable. It used to be Troy and Harrison as the clear other SuperStars on the roster. But has their age caught up with them? The other superstar might be Woodley. Are the young guys ready to step up?

I still think we can do this and win #7 this year.

But it's gonna take a lot from a lot of unproven guys:

Timmons
    Allen
    Hood
    McClendon
    Heyward
    Pouncey
    DD
    Colon
    Adams
    Brown
    Sanders
    Redman
    Rainey
    Batch

A little health from Troy and Harrison.

And the reliable play we expect from Keisel, Ike, Foote, Heath, Ben, Woodley.

And at the end of the day, we just might need Max and Casey back and contributing.

Lots of question marks. I think we have the talent to make it work. Just lots of unknowns at this point and a big transition underway.
    flippy, I agree we have a lot of unknowns. But I just read the NFL wrap-up online and I would have to say just about every team has issues right now. Cleveland lost their nose tackle til mid-season, Cinci's defense is still suspect (although I did read that Dalton has looked exceptional in practice and I would say the Bengals could very well be more of a challenge than Baltimore this season.)
    Bottomline, injuries will determine the outcome of the season. Last year we limped into the playoffs and it really showed. In fact, I don't think the Steelers ever really reached a peak on offense (the fact that they didn't get better as the season progressed is likely a reason why Arians is gone). Teams are gonna have to rely on unprovens throughout the season, the Steelers are just having to do that a little earlier than others.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    flippy, I agree we have a lot of unknowns. But I just read the NFL wrap-up online and I would have to say just about every team has issues right now. Cleveland lost their nose tackle til mid-season, Cinci's defense is still suspect (although I did read that Dalton has looked exceptional in practice and I would say the Bengals could very well be more of a challenge than Baltimore this season.)
    Bottomline, injuries will determine the outcome of the season. Last year we limped into the playoffs and it really showed. In fact, I don't think the Steelers ever really reached a peak on offense (the fact that they didn't get better as the season progressed is likely a reason why Arians is gone). Teams are gonna have to rely on unprovens throughout the season, the Steelers are just having to do that a little earlier than others.
    I think we'll be fine. But was just mentioning this to point out I can understand the skepticism by the national media. As far as they're concerned we no longer have Wallace, Ward, Farrior, Smitty, Hampton, Mendy, and Max. Troy and Harrison may be slowed down due to age and wear.

And the only known producers we have are Ben and Woodley (who is teetering on becoming a superstar).

Again, I love a lot of the young guys and think we'll be fine. I think in the grand scheme, we're probably rated around where we should be at this point.

Legend

User Info Menu

And I should have also mentioned our Dramaqueen QB is doing a pretty good job of helping to set low expectations as he lets everyone know about his boo boos and reminds everyone that Haley's the only man to ever get Kurt Warner to curse.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    And I should have also mentioned our Dramaqueen QB is doing a pretty good job of helping to set low expectations as he lets everyone know about his boo boos and reminds everyone that Haley's the only man to ever get Kurt Warner to curse.
    Flippy, yea, drama queen had to make sure we all know he's hurt already. But, that is Ben. He will never change. He will, once again, look like a torn and tattered QB who has to overcome a myriad of injuries to save the day. I just hope it's more drama than true. And I agree with your question marks about the team, but am optimistic they will overcome most of them. They had tons of injuries and issues last year and still won 12 games and had the #1 defense in the league, which, I agree with Woodley, it sure didn't appear to play like the #1 D, but it still was, nonetheless. But I don't agree with all your players you list as "unproven." Timmons is not unproven. He played out of position last year; when he plays in the middle he is no where near a question mark. And trust me, Spense will quickly go from unproven to great. He has the speed, quickness, motor and instincts to excel. He is a natural football player, regardless if he is short, which is the only reason he lasted as long as he did in the draft. The OL is going to be better, but maybe not at first. Our back ups were our starters last year. They will be fine, as long as we have half a break with health - Pouncy has to stay in one piece. Don't know why he can't. Ankle injuries heal. I'd say the biggest concerns, with the best chance to hurt us are:

- Troy's health and speed. Is this the year he slows down? Could be, hope not.

- Harrison's health. He is such a beast. And once back's go, they tend to stay bad. We desperately need one of the young LBs to emerge. But regardless if one is legit (Worilds, Sly, Carter) I don't think anyone can really replace 92. Even though he was awarded with DPOTY, I think he is _still_ underrated. When he is off the field, or only partly there due to injury, he isn't replaceable. He is such a force out there, in every way.

- The DL. I know they are not proven, but I just have to feel that Ziggy and Heyward MUST be legit studs waiting in the wings. I just feel that Pgh doesn't strike out with first rounders as a rule. I am going to assume those two pan out; Ziggy has been working out hardcore and has transformed his body into a heap of muscle. Did you see those youtube vids showing him working out and the difference in his body? Heyward was a stud at OSU and had leadership written all over him. Now that he's not a rookie, that will begin to emerge. At NT, I am going to assume Hampton won't be back to his usual self, maybe ever again. Hope I am wrong. But I am amazed he has been as productive as he has at this age and size. Usually a guy that massive would not play this well, this long. I like the chances of Ta'alu ending up the cornerstone at NT, but he is hurt so I don't know if that will happen this year, so NT is a concern, as the Pgh 3-4 FAILs miserably if they don't have NT taken care of. The whole system just doesn't work if that spot isn't nailed down.

But all that being said, I still like their chances. I strongly believe that the team will experience addition through subtraction with Arians and Mendenhall being OUT of there. I feel we can afford to have a little lesser of a D and still be better than last year without that F----g MORON at OC. Arians truly sucked, and it is more obvious now than ever. Ben covered up all of Arians' moronic play designing and calling. Thank you, Art Rooney for having the stones to do what needed done. Tomlin wasn't going to do it.