Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers DeCastro & Adams Off To Slow Start, No Need To Panic

Rookie offensive tackle Adams earning Steelers snaps, trust

By F. Dale Lolley
    Aug 5, 2012

LATROBE – At 6-7, 323 pounds, offensive tackle Mike Adams cuts an imposing figure.

That hasn’t stopped some teammates from taking a run at the Steelers’ rookie during training camp here at Saint Vincent College.

Adams’ tenacity on the football field has already gotten him into a brief skirmish or two, most often with former Ohio State teammate Cameron Heyward.

The two went at it again Friday night during the Steelers’ practice at Latrobe Stadium, with Heyward taking offense after Adams knocked him to the ground during a team drill.

While they don’t necessarily like teammates fighting, the coaching staff seems to have taken notice of the second-round draft pick’s tenacity. Adams was moved up to the first-team offensive line Saturday, sliding ahead of veteran Trai Essex.

“Mike’s been doing a nice job. He’s earning those snaps,” said Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. “But again, he’s far from ready.”

Adams, however, is certainly moving in the right direction, something many wondered would ever happen after his final season at Ohio State.

Adams missed the first five games of the 2011 season for his part in receiving illegal benefits at Ohio State. Then, he tested positive for marijuana at the NFL draft combine.

The Steelers initially took him off of their draft board following his positive drug test. But Adams, a native of Farrell, set an appointment with Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and Tomlin and begged for a second chance.

Considered by most to have first-round talent, Adams slipped to the second round, where he was selected by the Steelers.

Thus far, he’s been making the most of his second chance.

But lurking in the background is Max Starks, the team’s starter at left tackle for most of 2011.

Starks suffered a torn ACL at the end of last season, but the Steelers re-signed him just prior to the start of training camp. Starks is currently on the physically unable to perform list but has been working out with trainer Marcel Pastoor during Steelers practices. He’s also been helping Adams with the transition to the NFL.

“Having a guy like Max is priceless to my development,” Adams said. “Max is a guy who’s been doing it for a long time at a high level, so just to have him here to help me is something I’m really grateful for.”

Adams wasn’t the only Steelers rookie working with the first-team offense Saturday.

No. 1 draft pick David DeCastro was moved into a starting role at right guard after Ramon Foster shifted over to left guard in place of Willie Colon, who sat out Saturday with a sore ankle.

“He’s been doing a nice job of representing himself, so we’ll see where it goes,” said Tomlin. “I wasn’t watching him specifically. I’ll look at that tonight on tape. Just in general, he’s been representing himself well.”

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...ro-Steelers-1s

So your saying Heyward is a bust
    " We'll do the same thing we always do, we'll take every situation from week to week and do what we think is best for that week and evaluate it on that basis.. If cheating will give us the edge as it has always done then, we will continue to cheat. " Bill Belichick

guess ramon foster doesn't read the board and realize he has no business being on an NFL roster.

even money says he is the week 1 starter in denver.

good for him to compete hard for his job.

I think it's great that we have these guys coming into their own finally, fighting for their jobs and trying to improve and trying to be the starter. We are seeing the youth movement here and kind of a rebuilding situation also. No....I take that back about rebuilding because we were never down to need to come back up but, it's nice to see we have young guys taking over now.
    " We'll do the same thing we always do, we'll take every situation from week to week and do what we think is best for that week and evaluate it on that basis.. If cheating will give us the edge as it has always done then, we will continue to cheat. " Bill Belichick

Legend
    Why did DeCastro drop in the draft? I know its early but people were talking like he was the truth. just wondering if he was available because he needs time to get acclimated.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Why did DeCastro drop in the draft? I know its early but people were talking like he was the truth. just wondering if he was available because he needs time to get acclimated.
    Probably because teams took 50 year old quarterbacks (dur) and reached for defensive players (Seattle). There are always teams that draft way outside the projections causing guys to fall.
    https://cex.io/r/0/birtikidis/0/
    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Probably because teams took 50 year old quarterbacks (dur) and reached for defensive players (Seattle). There are always teams that draft way outside the projections causing guys to fall.
    lol.. yeah there were a few WTF draft picks this year. Just wondering if we picked up a "sure thing" after hearing how he would be long gone by 24.

I've been hearing a lot of positive reviews about Adams thus far. Even moreso than DeCastro. On the other hand, I've been hearing a lot of good things from Foster. I'm not saying that Foster is terrible but do you really start him over DeCastro week 1 even if he has the slight upper hand?

IMO, you still start DeCastro even if Foster played slightly better in camp.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I've been hearing a lot of positive reviews about Adams thus far. Even moreso than DeCastro. On the other hand, I've been hearing a lot of good things from Foster. I'm not saying that Foster is terrible but do you really start him over DeCastro week 1 even if he has the slight upper hand?

IMO, you still start DeCastro even if Foster played slightly better in camp.
    I've been the biggest DeCastro supporter throughout the entire draft process, but if Foster plays even slightly better in camp, then Foster deserves to get the nod. It should be all about what you show on the field, not your pedigree. If DeCastro doesn't start from day one, that doesn't make him a bust or anything. Faneca didn't start from day one, and he turned out pretty okay, I would say.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Mike Adams and David DeCastro will both start Thursday night

Posted by Josh Alper on August 7, 2012

When the Steelers made Mike Adams and David DeCastro their first two picks of the draft, it wasn’t hard to see them stepping right into starting roles on the offensive line.

That’s just what they’ve done. Coach Mike Tomlin said Adams and DeCastro will start at left tackle and right guard, respectively, on Thursday night against the Eagles when the Steelers kick off their preseason schedule.

All reports out of Steelers camp have Adams looking ready for the job of protecting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s blind side. The team’s decision to sign Max Starks strengthens the depth, assuming Starks is able to get off the PUP list and onto the field, but it doesn’t appear his presence will push Adams out of the starting job.

DeCastro’s hold on the job isn’t quite as secure. Reviews of his play haven’t been quite as strong and Ramon Foster has been making every effort to hold onto his job against the rookie. With Willie Colon out this week, Foster will play left guard so the battle should resume. According to a conversation he had with Roethlisberger, DeCastro’s problem is physical.

“I talked to him the other day,” Roethlisberger said, via the Beaver Times Online. “I said, ‘How you doing? Evaluate yourself.’ He said ‘It’s different.’ I said ‘What do you mean?’ He said it’s tough. I said ‘What’s the tough part, the mental or the physical?’ He said, ‘The mental part I got. The physical is a lot tougher. These guys are really good.’”

There’s a lot of camp and preseason left for DeCastro to get a handle on the physical side of things. If he does, there’s not much chance he’s giving up the starting spot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...hursday-night/