Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers DeCastro & Adams Off To Slow Start, No Need To Panic

Steelers DeCastro & Adams Off To Slow Start, No Need To Panic

Steelers DeCastro & Adams Off To Slow Start, No Need To Panic

Aug 3rd, 2012 by CraigSteelers

We’ve been saying over here in not so many words that rookies David DeCastro and Mike Adams will be the saving grace for the Steelers’ offensive line…. like right away. There’s not enough Heinz 57 for me to lather up my hat for consumption if this isn’t the case. From early reports at OTA’s and mini camps, Adams was becoming a fast learner. DeCastro, being the first rounder, has been placed on a rather high pedestal of expectations. But, according to Chris Adamski of cbssports.com, either one has yet to become a ‘done deal’ as the new starters at guard and tackle.

DeCastro has been seen beaten during blocking drills – and not by Troy Polamalu either, but by third year Al Woods. Of course coming in as a rookie is a tough spot to be in. The NFL is a completely different level of intensity and skill. It will take time to adjust and DeCastro recognizes that he has a lot of work to do. And let’s not forget that it’s only the end of the first full week of camp. There’s a long road ahead. The same goes for Adams. Trai Essex has been leading the way at left tackle with Adams following. Max Starks, though listed on the PUP is around to act as mentor for the first year man out of Ohio State.

There’s plenty of time for these two young men to keep learning, refining those skills, and eventually step into starting rolls by the beginning of the season. As one of our readers so strongly put, Steelers’ offensive line coach Sean Kugler is a fantastic coach, and will be great in grooming all of these players to gel together as a cohesive offensive line. I still see some great strides taken by this line over the coming season. The offense will be more effective overall for it, and Big Ben will be a happier little camper with his head in the clouds and not 3 inches deep in the turf.

Hey, not every rookie the Steelers draft can be a Maurkice Pouncey. And even he had some growing pains over his first year. Panic not Steeler Nation – you can still trade in that Wallace jersey for a DeCastro #66.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/08/03...need-to-panic/

In other news, after one week of OTAs Rainey has yet to have learned the entire play book. It appears the 2012 draft class is a bust.

Legend
    And Spence hasn't displaced Foote. Bust #4.

Ed: Adams Promoted to First Team

SATURDAY, 04 AUGUST 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Mike Adams, the Steelers second-round draft choice, has been promoted to the first team at left tackle. Adams leapfrogged over veteran Trai Essex the past few days. Coach Mike Tomlin said Adams earned that promotion and he will continue to run with the first team.

The question now becomes whether Adams or Max Starks will open the season as the starting left tackle. Starks is on the physically unable to perform list after ACL surgery in January but indications are he will be ready to play for the start of the regular season.

In today's goalline drills, the defense crushed the offense, stopping them short on five of seven plays from the 1 1/2 yardline.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-to-first-team

Bustacastro.

Making the Leap: Mike Adams Moves Into the Starting Lineup at Tackle

August 5th, 2012 Matt Loede

The Steelers appear to be on the verge of a changing of the guard. Or in this case, a changing of the tackle.

Mike Adams, the Ohio State tackle the team took in the second round of this past April’s NFL Draft, is moving up the charts, and according to Ed Bouchette of the Post-Gazette, he’s lining up with the #1′s in camp.

Mike Adams moved up to the starting left tackle job in just one week of his rookie training camp. That’s quicker than even Maurkice Pouncey moved into the top spot at center his rookie season in 2010. There’s still one thing left for Adams to do, however. He must beat out last year’s starter, Max Starks, who is currently on the PUP list but should be ready to go before the season begins. Mike Tomlin said on Saturday that Adams is “far from ready,” yet it looks as though he will start the first preseason game on Ben Roethlisberger’s blind side Thursday night against the Eagles in Philadelphia.

There was some panic due to the fact that both Adams and David DeCastro were not starting right off the bat. All seems calm now, as Adams has moved into his number one role, and while DeCastro hasn’t, the move to having him start on the O-line will soon enough.

http://www.steelersgab.com/2012/08/0...eup-at-tackle/

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Bustacastro.
    That's DeBustro to you.

Seriously, though...I think the only reason that Adams has been promoted to the starting lineup first is that Ramon Foster is a much more competant NFL RG than Trai Essex is an NFL LT. Plus, DeCastro needs to work on his interviewing skills before being named a starter. The team is giving Foster (who has started 26 out of 41 games in 3 seasons) an opportunity to start at least 1 preseason game before he is replaced. Essex, on the other hand, has been a backup for all but one season of his 7 year NFL career, so it is not surprising that Adams has already passed him for a position like LT that requires a certain degree of athletic ability in order to prevent your QB from getting killed. I'd say if Max Starks were healthy, DeCastro would be starting at RG before Adams would be starting at LT.
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 08-06-2012 at 01:35 PM.

I'd be surprised if DeCastro isn't starting by week 1, and shocked if he isn't starting by week 6. Due to their school schedules, these guys missed most of the offseason work, so it doesn't surprise me that it's taken them more than a week of training camp to become entrenched starters.

I think Starks/Adams, as Ruthless pointed out, is a closer call because Starks is a better starter. When he is healthy, it wouldn't surprise me if Starks is inserted with the first team. I think the Steelers will make Adams earn the LT position, and just from looking at the depth chart, veterans are typically viewed as the incumbents, especially at this stage.

Legend
    I'm surprised how well put together Adams looks in his pics. I usually expect these big guys to be a little sloppy and take a year or 2 in the NFL weight room to turn their body into an NFL body. With the way he looks already, he may turn into the Incredible Hulk next year and throw around a guy like Ngata or Suh like a rag doll - not that he'll ever have to block those guys per se.

DeCastro will be the starter this season. Not that Adams doesn't have a shot at being a starter but, DeCastro will stand more of a chance of being a starter.