Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wallace a chicken?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Wallace out performed his last contract, and I think that performance dictates his next contract. Just because he signed a rookie contract, does not mean he is not deserving of a substantial raise. The Steelers have a history of signing guys to extensions BEFORE their current one expires. In my opinion he's earned it. Football is a game that can end in an instant. Would you sacrafice all of your future earning power for a temporary contract?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    yup, and the resaon is because brown worked hard, played hard, said the right things and displayed being a team player. wallace chose not to do those things.
    Based on your opinion, the Steelers should cast Wallace aside like they did Santonio Holmes. I've never heard anything to suggest that Wallce didn't work hard, play hard, or that he wasn't a team player. Wallace never said anything except, "don't believe everything you hear".

It's one thing to disagree with Wallace's tactics. It's another thing to make things up to make Wallce look bad.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Based on your opinion, the Steelers should cast Wallace aside like they did Santonio Holmes. I've never heard anything to suggest that Wallce didn't work hard, play hard, or that he wasn't a team player. Wallace never said anything except, "don't believe everything you hear".

It's one thing to disagree with Wallace's tactics. It's another thing to make things up to make Wallce look bad.
    No need to make up things to make Wallace look bad, he's doing a great job of that without any help at all. Think about the message he's sending by holding out--pay me like I'm an unrestricted free agent now (which he's not) or else I'm going to sit out the first 10 games of the season and show up for the last 6 games only because that's what I have to do to be eligible to be an unrestricted free agent next year. Put as much lipstick on that pig as you want and it's still a pig.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I think Wallace out performed his last contract, and I think that performance dictates his next contract. Just because he signed a rookie contract, does not mean he is not deserving of a substantial raise. The Steelers have a history of signing guys to extensions BEFORE their current one expires. In my opinion he's earned it. Football is a game that can end in an instant. Would you sacrafice all of your future earning power for a temporary contract?
    He was offered a substantial raise (at least what Brown got but reportedly $9M per year) and by all accounts turned it down. He wants more than a substantial raise. He wants top 3 WR money and he doesn't deserve it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post

Nobody can make Mike Wallace look bad except Mike Wallace. He has done everything wrong throughout this process that he possibly could. Way overplayed his hand, failed to follow simple guidance to show up and we keep talking, etc. Mike Wallace did all that. No one turned him away.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I can't spealk to the validity of this, but wasn't it reported (I know I read it here a few times) that it was Wallace who made the decision to not report and that's actually going against his agent's advice, who told him the Steelers would not deal with a person not in camp. If true, then this is all on him (and he has every right to make that decision).

I'd love to know how close the two side really are in these discussions. Is he really asking for top 3/5 money and knows the Steelers won't pay it, so why not hold out, or are we talking about a couple of million that could be somewhat easily negotiated on or redistributed across the lifetime of the contract?

Other than having to be aware of his speed; I don't believe teams are game planning around Wallace.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ter1230_4 View Post
    No need to make up things to make Wallace look bad, he's doing a great job of that without any help at all. Think about the message he's sending by holding out--pay me like I'm an unrestricted free agent now (which he's not) or else I'm going to sit out the first 10 games of the season and show up for the last 6 games only because that's what I have to do to be eligible to be an unrestricted free agent next year. Put as much lipstick on that pig as you want and it's still a pig.
    Sitting out 10 games is Wallace's strategy now? Where did you hear this? From Wallace? His agent? Colbert? Omar Khan? The only places that I have heard the sit out the first 10 games strategy is from talking heads in the media or from fans on message boards, not from anyone actually involved in the situation firsthand.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Sitting out 10 games is Wallace's strategy now? Where did you hear this? From Wallace? His agent? Colbert? Omar Khan? The only places that I have heard the sit out the first 10 games strategy is from talking heads in the media or from fans on message boards, not from anyone actually involved in the situation firsthand.
    I know I'm only a fan on a message board, but isn't the only logical reason for Wallace not to sign his tender and report to training camp is that by doing so he is impliedly threatening not to report until the last possible moment unless the Steelers give him a long term contract on his terms? And the last possible moment is after the tenth week of the season because he will still get credit for the season and become an unrestricted free agent for next season. I assume that he has no intention of missing the entire season, because then he would be a restricted free agent again next season, sort of like Groundhog Day. It is difficult to conceive of a more shamelessly selfish strategy, which is why the Steelers are (a) not going to negotiate with him until he signs his tender, and (b) not going to trade him come hell or high water. If Wallace wants his big payday this year he can only get it from the Steelers.