Thread: Ben Sprains "Bad Ankle" in Practive

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben Sprains "Bad Ankle" in Practice

Don't like the fact that he called it his "bad ankle", but it doesn't seem too significant.

Ben Roethlisberger tweaks ankle, talks Todd Haley

By [URL="http://content.usatoday.com/topics/reporter/Jim+Corbett"]Jim Corbett[/URL], USA TODAY
    Updated 2h 43m ago

[URL="http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2012/08/04/benx-large.jpg"][/URL]

By Keith Srakocic, AP

LATROBE, Pa. -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sprained his left ankle on a perfect, 20-yard scoring strike to receiver Emmanuel Sanders late in practice when he was stepped on by a lineman. He limped off the field and had an ice pack taped to his troublesome ankle."It was my bad ankle,'' Roethlisberger said, standing at mid-field after practice at St. Vincent's College.
    At least there's no fracturing so far with first-year Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, 45, who earned a reputation as a fiery coach during his 2007-2008 tenure as Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator.
    "We're just kind of waiting for it,'' Roethlisberger told USA TODAY Sports on Saturday, referencing Haley's combustible reputation. "Todd's the only guy to ever make Kurt Warner cuss. "It's kind of an interesting thing.
    "We'll see. We haven't even got to a game yet.''
    Then Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin incited Haley when he jawed at his offensive coordinator during the 2008 NFC Championship game because Boldin wasn't on the field during a critical drive. Haley fired back while continuing to call plays on the winning drive that led to Arizona's franchise-first Super Bowl appearance as head coach Ken Whisenhunt intervened.

Haley had a similar exchange last season with Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel before he was dismissed late last season as Chiefs coach.
    So far, the Roethlisberger and Haley dynamic is a work-in-progress relationship. Their growing rapport showed up in Saturday's practice with Roethlisberger firing pinpoint spirals for several touchdown strikes off a strong run-first rushing attack.
    Roethlisberger did his homework, talking to players who have worked with Haley in the past.
    "Todd's a good coordinator,'' he says. "Obviously, we've only had a few months around each other. So far it's a different dynamic than with (former Steelers coordinator) Bruce Arians.
    "I think our relationship is growing and I can see where Todd's vision of us is headed.
    "It's all about winning. You have to put aside egos and put aside wanting to run the ball, wanting to throw the ball to just win and that's what we both want to do.''
    Last edited by Flasteel; 08-04-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

what a drama queen...

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

In my mind, it was the biggest coaching fail in Tomlin's young career to let Roethlisberger play the San Fran game with a high ankle sprain. Who knows what further damage occurred. And because of that decision, their QB may end up dealing with it the rest of his career.... One of Roethlisberger's biggest assets is the ability to move away from the defensive pressure, without it I see him as Byron Leftwich II.

Legend

User Info Menu

The media can't mention Haley without bringing up his reputation. Losers.

But, It was a bad idea to let Ben play in San Fran, and it may be part of the issue. That being said, Ben is tougher than 239 other QBs put together. He'll be fine.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    In my mind, it was the biggest coaching fail in Tomlin's young career to let Roethlisberger play the San Fran game with a high ankle sprain. Who knows what further damage occurred. And because of that decision, their QB may end up dealing with it the rest of his career.... One of Roethlisberger's biggest assets is the ability to move away from the defensive pressure, without it I see him as Byron Leftwich II.
    Pretty much. Tons of players have had that injury and have fully recovered. I will stay optimistic until I see evidence of otherwise. But without being to get away from defenders, he would be pretty much a Leftwich II, which is not so good.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wow, he could be the new Mr. Glass. His body may not survive much longer.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just Tweaky: Roethlisberger Hurts Ankle In Practice Over Weekend

Aug 5th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

‘Tweak’ is one of those funny English words that can mean a good thing or a bad. For the Pittsburgh Steelers, ‘tweak’ means making minor adjustments to improve the offense or defense – like when Dick LeBeau moves Troy Polamalu up in the box if the opposing team’s running game is doing well. On Saturday, Ben Roethlisberger experienced a ‘tweak’ that resulted in a bag of ice wrapped around his left ankle and sitting out some practice. That’s a bad kind of ‘tweak.’

On what was described as a ‘perfect, 20-yard scoring strike to receiver Emmanuel Sanders’ Roethlisberger ‘sprained’ his left ankle when it was stepped on by a lineman backing into him. :forehead slap: This incident is the second ‘tweak’ made public since training camp started, and it makes me want to call up Big Ben and say, ‘Hey big fella, I know you can play injured and all, but can you just hold off on all of this getting hurt thing for a bit. Let’s chill for a moment and remember that it’s only August.’ I would rather we not have to break into Fenway Park and smash the ‘Bloody Sock’ glass case. It’s too early for drastic measures like that.

While Saturday’s incident was only the first time Roethlisberger visited the ice maker this camp, Steeler Nation learned earlier in the week of a slight tear (or ‘tweak if you will) in #7’s rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder that he suffered last season against Baltimore. After the heap of sacks Roethlisberger suffered last season, it was crystal clear that the Steelers’ front office needed to address the front line ASAP. Kevin Colbert and Tomlin did just that by drafting OG David DeCastro and OT Mike Adams in the first and second rounds respectively this draft. And even though they are off to a slow start, they are both the immediate and long-term future of a strong blocking offensive line. This is not a tweak, yet is instead a huge overhaul of the way the Steelers perceive their franchise player. Protection of Roethlisberger is vital in the Steelers continued success – especially if they want to return to the Super Bowl. I don’t believe any part of Roethlisberger’s $100 million contract can swap his paycheck to pay for replacement body parts. He needs to stay healthy from head to toe.

Todd Haley is far from a ‘tweak’ in the offense after the firing of Bruce Arians and hiring of Haley during the offseason. Initial reports/rumors figured the relationship between Haley and Roethlisberger would be a bumpy one. But so far, things have gone well. The two are learning how each other works, and Haley seems a good enough coordinator in how to address the ego of his star quarterback – make him feel special while at the same time getting out of him what you need for this team to win.

But of course, the duo will be making minor ‘tweaks’ (we’re talking about the good kind here) to the offense as the season progresses. The growth of the running game will work in concert with the passing game, and eventually the right recipe will be found on how this offense needs to score points on a consistent basis…. while keeping Big Ben healthy through it all.

So ice it up, Ben, and take care of yourself. Stay healthy and everything will be just tweaky.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/08/05/just-tweaky-roethlisberger-hurts-ankle-in-practice-over-weekend/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers QB Roethlisberger held out of practice

By Alan Robinson
    Published: Sunday, August 5, 2012

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Offensive Coordinator Todd Haley during practice on the South Side Aug. 5, 2012

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was held out of an indoor practice Sunday on the South Side after having his left foot stepped on late in practice Saturday at Latrobe.

Roethlisberger promised he would practice Tuesday at the team’s training camp in Latrobe following a players’ day off Monday. Coach Mike Tomlin said Roethlisberger is listed as day to day.

“It’s good,” Roethlisberger said. “No worries. It just got stepped on; it was nothing.”

The quarterback said he didn’t sprain his ankle, and he has “a simple bruise.”

Roethlisberger had an ice pack on his ankle during a goal-line drill that ended practice Saturday, but the ankle wasn’t wrapped Sunday as he observed practice.

“No issues, not at all,” Roethlisberger said. “Mike had already planned on giving it some time because we get tomorrow off as well. So 48 hours does a body good.”

Roethlisberger played on a badly sprained left ankle during a 20-3 loss to the 49ers in late December.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2351255-85/roethlisberger-practice-ankle-held-late-latrobe-mike-quarterback-saturday-stepped[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha