Thread: Are Americans a Bunch of Racists?

Legend

User Info Menu

Are Americans a Bunch of Racists?

I saw that little girl Gabby win a Gold medal and heard someone asked her about being the first African American gymnast to win the all around gold. She commented she really hadn't thought about it or something to that effect.

I never really thought about it either. And it bugged me thinking we must be a bunch of redneck racists in America if we think these thoughts. I thought the same thing when they touted Obama as the first black president.

Looking back in history, Rosa Parks sitting in the back of the bus or Jackie Robinson getting into the MLB seem like big deals to me because these happened at a time when America was close to being racist.

Now I don't think of America as racist. At least not people under 40 for sure. I doubt people under 40 even notice race. Maybe you have to be 50 or 60 at least to have ever even thought about someones race. That would take your life back to the 1950s or 60s.

I guess I don't really think about people's race or color that much. And I really see the people around me being different - from different races, different cultures, different religions. About the only thing that's the same is everyone's different.

But when you hear the media talk about the first black whatever, it makes me take a step back and think, society must still be racist for this to be prominent.

Maybe it will take all the current 50 and 60 year olds to be dead to eradicate racism from our society. And at that point, this kind of thing will seem silly to point out to everyone.

Then again maybe its just the media being sensational to get noticed?

Whatever it is, it's annoying to me. Almost as annoying as Chick-Fil-A.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I take it you've never lived in the south?

I'm 25, raised in Pittsburgh, and now living in central Georgia. I wouldn't have really known it all that much if I hadn't moved here, but trust me...racism is still going strong, regardless of age.

Legend

User Info Menu

The only place I saw the fact that she is black being discussed, was by a black activist group on facebook. Everyone else seems to be glad a USA athlete has one.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I take it you've never lived in the south?

I'm 25, raised in Pittsburgh, and now living in central Georgia. I wouldn't have really known it all that much if I hadn't moved here, but trust me...racism is still going strong, regardless of age.
    I live in the South. The only place I think racism might still exist are MS. And to a degree, maybe churches. But I see that more as weird segregation and not racism. I've been to black churches, even volunteering to make breakfast for a congregation of close to 1000 on Easters and everyone's super nice there. Even moreso than in the white churches. So I don't really sense racism, just a cultural separation even though everyone's nice.

That sorta reminds me of college where all the Asian or Indian kids hung out together. Or they had Jewish frats. And stuff like that. But I always just viewed that as they shared a common interest (or in some cases spoke the same native language) like a Steeler fan or a book club or whatever. I've been overseas and have often found it easier to hang out with people that speak English sometimes, so that's not really a bad thing imho.

And I remember even though I'm not Jewish, I was welcomed at their frat parties and had a bunch of friends there. And they tended to be more friendly that some of the jock frats as an example.

But MS, they definitely think it's pre-civil war times. I was shocked at the culture when I was first there in my early 20s. I expected a brawl in a bar with these hillbillies calling this young black kid derogatory names. And I was doubly surprise how well the kid took it and how polite he was despite how he was being treated. I thought I was in a 3rd world country.