Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It is time to let Charlie Batch go!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It is time to let Charlie Batch go!!!

Leftwich is the clear better back-up to Ben so why do we need a 37 year old number 3 who really isnt that good at all? Keep Jerrod Johnson and develop him. He's big, strong, athletic, and has a strong arm. All he needs is to be developed and as the number 3 you can do exactly that. Please cut Charlie Batch.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Leftwich is the clear better back-up to Ben so why do we need a 37 year old number 3 who really isnt that good at all? Keep Jerrod Johnson and develop him. He's big, strong, athletic, and has a strong arm. All he needs is to be developed and as the number 3 you can do exactly that. Please cut Charlie Batch.
    Yup, it's time to let the home town product go and get on with his life's work. He's had a good run in Pittsburgh, but Johnson won't make it off the PS. It's time to get younger at backup quarterback.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Yup, it's time to let the home town product go and get on with his life's work. He's had a good run in Pittsburgh, but Johnson won't make it off the PS. It's time to get younger at backup quarterback.

Pappy
    Yea, it's time to let Batch move on to the next phase of his career.... a QB coach.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He looked old as sh--t. All rickety and stuff. Even if he could still play, he will be knocked out with an injury within a game or 2. So what's the point? Move on. Develop the young kid. If Ben goes down, you know Leftwich will also go down in a game or 3 he just sits back there and takes direct blasts; he always has. We really need Ben to stay healthy, to some degree. This team goes no where without #7.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I didn't see him play but for a guy that doesn't get to practice with the team as they said, what do you guys expect ? To hell with the young guys that just want to tuck the ball away and run with it. If your going to develope a Qb as a back up then, develope him. Get one that is smart and can at least make a pass. Not guys that run at the first sign of trouble because they can't do their check downs or read defenses or never was a passing qb in college.
    Batch doesn't get injured any more than Leftwich does and for that matter, Ben also.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't see any difference with Charlie Batch this year. He had some good crisp throws and was moving well. What are you seeing I am not. THat being said I do like the J Johnson kid.

There is a reason Charlie has been with the team for so long, and with Arians gone he is still a major advantage in the locker room and on the sideline and can still play if needed.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Charlie's passes had no zip & when flushed from the pocket he seemed panicked. Johnson showed he could gun it in there & was willing to get some yardage when things broke down. There comes a time when age & lack of use come into play & right now it looks like Batch is done.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Its not as if he's going to sign with another team. Go with 2 if you don't think J. Johnson has any potential. You can always call Batch back. We should have seen his last snaps at the QB position this past pre-season game. There's no reason to waste any more time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If JJ continues to have showings like he did against the Colts, you have to consider moving on without Batch. I am only saying Batch because I believe he would remain on the street if released. I believe Lefty would have a better system fit somewhere and may get picked up.

To be totally honest, I don't think either Batch or Lefty have distinguished themsleves as the clear #2. If JJ continues to show promise, I think the decision of keeping Lefty or Batch will be more difficult than keeping JJ as the #3. The long term benefit of having JJ sit at #3 and learn far exceeds having Batch & Lefty sit on the roster at #2 & #3.

By the way, did anyone notice JJ looks to be 2-3 inches taller than BB?

Legend

User Info Menu

It's long past time. It was time 3 years ago.
    Trolls are people too.