Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Wallace a chicken?

  1. #1

    Wallace a chicken?

    The longer Mike waits to show up, the more I think he fears being exposed as more of a one trick pony versus the second coming of Larry Fitzgerald. The only other logical reason he could have for holding out is hoping that the current crop of receivers fails to shine as a unit in preseason and the Steelers cave in to his asking price (which isn't going to happen).

    IMO, if he never dresses for the entire season (Steelers don't even let him dress when coming back with six weeks left), some dumb team will pay him big bucks next year based on his history. If he comes in this season and continues his disappearing act from last year, he loses the jackpot altogether.

    He is maximizing his best chance for a big payday, which tells me he cares less about the Steelers and football (if so, good riddance) and more about the big windfall.

    One more thing, for those of you who say that there is nothing wrong with trying to get as much cash as possible because it has to last a lifetime, why are they so special that they should never have to work again after leaving the NFL? While I have no disagreement with making as much as you can, when you put that before your team (in the case of installing a brand new offense, every day missed hurts both you AND your team), then in my book you can go suck an egg. Finishing out your contract at $2.7M is NOT a hardship and I don't feel sorry for you one bit. Unless he shows up soon, I see him as a selfish cancer and hope he disappears for good.

    One more thing (part II), for those of you who have poo poo'd (for lack of a better word) posters bemoaning Mike's failure to show since the OTAs, and wrote them off as silly worry warts that need to calm down because YOU KNOW that he is showing up soon... Just because they saw the writing on the wall earlier than others doesn't invalidate their points.

  2. #2
    I truly believe those who fault Wallace for wanting market value for his services, are hatas. Grab that green, and make it rain.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I truly believe those who fault Wallace for wanting market value for his services, are hatas. Grab that green, and make it rain.
    Godd call, Pac Man!

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368
    Quote Originally Posted by steelnavy View Post
    why are they so special that they should never have to work again after leaving the NFL?
    The problem is that many of these guys couldn't get a job at McDonalds. For every guy that makes it in business or leverages his celebrity and personality for cash, there's probably 10+ guys that just can't function in society.

    And some of it might be the brain damage and pain a lot of these guys take on making it difficult to function after football.

    That's probably oversimplified, but there are probably many more good excuses for these guys. And working post NFL career probably isn't a given or the norm for most.

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,037
    I hope for his sake he comes soon. When he gets older and can no longer play, he will regret wasting the opportunity to get out on the field. A true athlete who loves the game would instruct his agent to get something done so they can get out on the field and compete.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

  6. #6
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I truly believe those who fault Wallace for wanting market value for his services, are hatas. Grab that green, and make it rain.
    He WAS offered market value. He want an excessive amount above what he has earned after three year as a Restricted Free Agent.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    I hope for his sake he comes soon. When he gets older and can no longer play, he will regret wasting the opportunity to get out on the field. A true athlete who loves the game would instruct his agent to get something done so they can get out on the field and compete.
    it's been reported that his agent had instructed wallace to sign and continue to work on a contract, wallace decided to stay away.

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler Flasteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere on the water.
    Posts
    2,465
    Quote Originally Posted by steelnavy View Post
    The longer Mike waits to show up, the more I think he fears being exposed as more of a one trick pony versus the second coming of Larry Fitzgerald. The only other logical reason he could have for holding out is hoping that the current crop of receivers fails to shine as a unit in preseason and the Steelers cave in to his asking price (which isn't going to happen).

    IMO, if he never dresses for the entire season (Steelers don't even let him dress when coming back with six weeks left), some dumb team will pay him big bucks next year based on his history. If he comes in this season and continues his disappearing act from last year, he loses the jackpot altogether.

    He is maximizing his best chance for a big payday, which tells me he cares less about the Steelers and football (if so, good riddance) and more about the big windfall.

    One more thing, for those of you who say that there is nothing wrong with trying to get as much cash as possible because it has to last a lifetime, why are they so special that they should never have to work again after leaving the NFL? While I have no disagreement with making as much as you can, when you put that before your team (in the case of installing a brand new offense, every day missed hurts both you AND your team), then in my book you can go suck an egg. Finishing out your contract at $2.7M is NOT a hardship and I don't feel sorry for you one bit. Unless he shows up soon, I see him as a selfish cancer and hope he disappears for good.

    One more thing (part II), for those of you who have poo poo'd (for lack of a better word) posters bemoaning Mike's failure to show since the OTAs, and wrote them off as silly worry warts that need to calm down because YOU KNOW that he is showing up soon... Just because they saw the writing on the wall earlier than others doesn't invalidate their points.
    As a military man, you have a deep appreciation for traits like duty, honor, and teamwork. The type of behavior that Wallace is exhibiting flies in the face of these core values and is difficult to embrace or understand for many of us. Those who are cool with it either can't make the connection between his actions and the damage it is causing both him and the team, or their world is ruled by the dollar.

    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I definitely side with you on this one brother.
    Last edited by Flasteel; 08-04-2012 at 09:54 AM.



    "I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

    "Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."


    -Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

  9. #9
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,137
    the logical reason why wallace isnt showing up is due to money. i dont believe the steelers offered him the guaranteed money he's worth. wallace's "one trick" makes the steelers a better offense. it's biz, money comes before football and the steelers. not sure why people need to take this so personally and apply labels to wallace. if they cant reach an agreement, both parties will move on. steelers will findnanother wr and wallace will get paid by another team.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    He WAS offered market value. He want an excessive amount above what he has earned after three year as a Restricted Free Agent.
    Dont hate the playa.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •