Thread: How does the PUP list work?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How does the PUP list work?

I saw Cromartie is now off the list. Is it a transient thing where people can go on and off with a whim? I thought it was at least 6 weeks of not playing at the start of the season. Also, do the people on the list count as a roster spot? Im confused...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I believe you have to start the season on the PUP. You cannot be placed on the PUP at any point other than the beginning. It can carry into the season as well but I believe you have to be on it for 6 weeks without being brought off during the regular season.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah...you have to be placed on PUP at the start of training camp. Once training camp has begun, you cannot be added to PUP during camp because of an injury sustained during camp practices or preseason games. You can be taken off PUP at any time during the preseason, but once you are taken off, you cannot be put back on. At the start of the regular season, teams must make a decision whether to keep you on PUP or take you off. If they take you off PUP, you count toward the 53 man roster. If you remain on PUP once the season starts, you have to be on PUP for 6 weeks, and you do not count toward the 53 man roster. Once 6 weeks are up, you can start practicing again, and the team has a couple of weeks to evaluate you to determine if you are ready to go (in which case, you would need to be added to the 53 man roster, so you'd need to cut or I.R. someone else), or not (in which case, you would need to be placed on I.R. and out for the rest of the year).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That explains it...thanx!
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055379/article/jahvid-best-put-on-detroit-lions-pup-list[/URL]

Jahvid Best was just placed on the PUP list so i guess that means PUP is an option for DeCastro. The way Wikipedia (i know) states it, PUP is not ruled out for players who get injured during the preseason.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    [URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055379/article/jahvid-best-put-on-detroit-lions-pup-list[/URL]

Jahvid Best was just placed on the PUP list so i guess that means PUP is an option for DeCastro. The way Wikipedia (i know) states it, PUP is not ruled out for players who get injured during the preseason.
    You can't be placed on PUP if you practiced whatsoever during camp.

Jahvid Best was placed on PUP because of the lingering effects of concussions that occurred last season (he hasn't practiced at all during camp). Suggs was placed on PUP because of an injury that occurred during the offseason (he hasn't practiced at all during camp either).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

ok, that explains why no one is talking PUP for DeCastro. We need a link to the NFL rulebook although it may take a lawyer to interpret those rules...haha

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    You can't be placed on PUP if you practiced whatsoever during camp.

Jahvid Best was placed on PUP because of the lingering effects of concussions that occurred last season (he hasn't practiced at all during camp). Suggs was placed on PUP because of an injury that occurred during the offseason (he hasn't practiced at all during camp either).
    Correct.

As soon as a player participates in a practice, they are no longer eligible for the PUP list...

Legend

User Info Menu

DeCastro will take up an active roster spot unless placed on season ending IR.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    DeCastro will take up an active roster spot unless placed on season ending IR.
    Maybe we need to pick up Kai Forbath. Not only has he been impressive with his place kicking this pre-season but I saw him punting in the game against the Redskins last night. If he could handle both duties for us we would have a nice comfy spot for DeCastro.

Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to how well he punted.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!