Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Dale Lolley's Steelers Camp Notes

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    If the team was wise enough to FINALLY get rid of Arians, why are they not wise enough to realize one of his pet players stinks? I can't believe Hynoski was out there as an undrafted free agent and Pgh did nothing to attempt to sign the guy. What a huge mistake and he was right in their back yard. Such a foolish non move.
    You and the rest of the sad troop of mindless DJ haters are the ones who STINK! Robotic herd regurgitation of this crap. Johnson is a big, strong, tough professional player. He practices hard and he plays hard. He does what the coaches ask him to do without complaint. He's getting better at FB and he still possesses some versatility to fill in at TE. He hasn't made the team for three years because he is siomebody's pet. And when he makes it this year, it will also because he has a value to the team. And when he does, I say on his behalf (because he's probably too cool to say this himself). Haters you can "Whiff my Johnson"

  2. #22
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    You and the rest of the sad troop of mindless DJ haters are the ones who STINK! Robotic herd regurgitation of this crap. Johnson is a big, strong, tough professional player. He practices hard and he plays hard. He does what the coaches ask him to do without complaint. He's getting better at FB and he still possesses some versatility to fill in at TE. He hasn't made the team for three years because he is siomebody's pet. And when he makes it this year, it will also because he has a value to the team. And when he does, I say on his behalf (because he's probably too cool to say this himself). Haters you can "Whiff my Johnson"
    OK. Sorry Mrs. Johnson if you are offended but that doesn't change the fact that no matter how hard he works or tries Johnson is neither a good TE or FB. There were probably 5-6 kids in the last draft who were college FBs who could've come in and done at least as well as Johnson has after 3 years.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 08-06-2012 at 07:49 AM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

    2014 Draft

    1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

  3. #23
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    OK. Sorry Mrs. Johnson if you are offended but that doesn't change the fact that no matter how hard he works or tries Johnson is neither a good TE or FB. There were probably 5-6 kids in the last draft who were college FBs who could've come in and done at least as well as Johnson has after 3 years.
    Yeah, I don't think the work ethic with Johnson has ever been the question. The question is ability. I don't dislike him as a player as much as some, but if the Steelers are going to use a FB, I'd prefer a true FB instead of somebody who is a jack of some trades and a master of none.

  4. #24
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,832
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Yeah, I don't think the work ethic with Johnson has ever been the question. The question is ability. I don't dislike him as a player as much as some, but if the Steelers are going to use a FB, I'd prefer a true FB instead of somebody who is a jack of some trades and a master of none.
    I don't think it is ever an issue of personal dislike since none of us, or very few of us, have ever met let alone "know" this guys. It is an opinion of what we as fans see and with Johnson that is poor blocking whether leading the run or pass blocking. As a TE he looks more awkward catching a pass than Dan Krieder did which was as ugly as I have ever seen.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

    2014 Draft

    1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

  5. #25
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    20,365
    @ Cam Heyward and rookie Mike Adams had some Ohio State on Ohio State violence after Adams pancaked Heyward in a team drill.

    Heyward apparently took offense to Adams going for the kill shot and the two squared off and started swinging.

    Willie Colon stepped in to break it up, but then also started swinging at Adams.
    I highly doubt that Willie Colon was trying to punch his OL teammate Mike Adams...I think that was supposed to say the Colon started swinging at Cam Heyward.


    1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

  6. #26
    Coach T says DJ is doing a great job so I'll have to go along with that.
    "Let's see...who do we play next Sunday?"

    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e152/dart5219/BeliCheat.jpg

  7. #27
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,108
    What, who I'll be watching in the first preseason game

    AUGUST 08, 2012
    posted by Dale Lolley

    The Steelers will play their first preseason game at Philadelphia Thursday night, and there's going to be plenty of notable action on the field.

    Here are a few of the things and players I'll be watching in this one:

    @ How does the new offense look under Todd Haley?

    Traditionally, teams don't show a whole lot in the preseason. But the Steelers haven't had a completely new offense in Pittsburgh in quite some time.

    To this point, the Steelers offense has featured more intermediate passes and throws to the running backs. We'll see if that carries over to the games.

    @ How do the rookie offensive linemen look?

    I've found it interesting that so many people have said that David DeCastro has been a bust in the first two weeks of training camp. That's ridiculous.

    I've seen countless rookies take some time to get accustomed to the speed and power of the NFL. DeCastro has as well. But Maurkice Pouncey struggled with one-on-one matchups in his first camp as well. Then, when he got into game action, it was obvious he was a player.

    The other side of the DeCastro coin is that Ramon Foster is having a very solid camp.

    There was a big difference between DeCastro beating out Foster and Mike Adams pushing Trai Essex aside.

    @ Does Cortez Allen take advantage of Keenan Lewis' shoulder injury?

    Allen will likely start with Lewis being limited with the shoulder injury. If he can hold up in coverage against DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin, it will go a long way toward winning a starting job.

    @ Who will step up at free safety?

    To this point, Ryan Mundy has been so-so. The same goes for veteran Will Allen.

    I'm anxious to see what a young kid like Robert Golden can do in game action. There's a spot to be won there behind Ryan Clark.

    @ Will any of the receivers behind Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery show anything.

    It's been up and down throughout training camp for the receivers behind those three.

    At this point, I'd say Derrick Williams and Tyler Beiler have been the most consistent, but that's not saying much.

    @ Can Chris Rainey win the starting return job.

    Rainey is fast, but can he consistently catch punts? He flubbed one in practice on Tuesday, which has to be a concern. This is, after all, a kid that fumbled six punts in college.

    I'm not as concerned about him as a kick return guy, but if he can't field punts, that's a problem.

    Marquis Maze will also be given a chance. It's big for him because he hasn't shown a lot as a receiver.

    @ Keep an eye on rookie punter Drew Butler, the son of former Bears kicker Kevin Butler.

    Butler is the only healthy punter in camp right now with Jeremy Kapinos dealing with back issues.

    Kapinos has gotten more surly as camp has gone on because Butler has looked pretty good. But can he do it on the big stage?

    If so, Butler could win the job.

    http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Yeah, I don't think the work ethic with Johnson has ever been the question. The question is ability. I don't dislike him as a player as much as some, but if the Steelers are going to use a FB, I'd prefer a true FB instead of somebody who is a jack of some trades and a master of none.
    I think the opinion of the people here is often tainted by a group mentality to get down on a particular player and is inaccurate and unfair. I disagree with you that he is "poor", That is what Oviedo says and some other board denizens say. It doesn't make it true. Oviedo has a track record of overly harsh criticisms and very seldom changes an opinion. Once he is down on a guy, he never changes. I think Johnson did a pretty good job blocking at FB last year. From all accounts, he didn't get any instructions on how, just went and did it. FB can be learned. How do you know some "true" college FB would be better than Johnson. College and the pros is a different animal. You don't see many "true" FBs in the NFL. And just like a good baseball teams needs some solid utility guys who can fill it at SS, 3B or even OF, when needed. A player who can do a solid job at different positions is an asset.

  9. #29
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,108
    Eventful weekend

    posted by Dale Lolley
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 12, 2012

    It was an eventful two days for the Steelers as they began their final week of work at Saint Vincent College.

    First, due to a knee injury to second-round draft pick Mike Adams suffered in the preseason opener against Philadelphia, the team had to shuffle the deck with its offensive line.

    Adams, who is expected to be out a week or so, had started against the Eagles at left tackle. With him out, the Steelers slide right tackle Marcus Gilbert over to left tackle.

    That allowed them to keep rookie David DeCastro at right guard - where he will stay - and put Ramon Foster at right tackle.

    With Willie Colon back at left guard, the Steelers' starting offensive line for their second preseason game will look like this from left to right: Gilbert, Colon, Maurkice Pouncey, DeCastro and Foster.

    It will likely stay that way until Max Starks is ready to come off the PUP list, at which point, he will move to left tackle, sliding Gilbert back to the right side.

    Starks is expected to be activated within the next two weeks after having offseason knee surgery.

    @ With Isaac Redman (groin) and Jonathan Dwyer (shoulder) sitting out practices, the Steelers got more bad news at running back Sunday, when John Clay went down with a hip injury.

    Already thin with Rashard Mendenhall on the PUP list, that left the Steelers with just Barron Batch, Chris Rainey and Will Johnson - now the starting fullback following David Johnson's season-ending knee injury against the Eagles - to carry the football.

    That didn't work out so well in Sunday's goal-line drills as the Steelers tried to pound the ball into the end zone with Batch (210 pounds) and Rainey (179).

    Rainey scored once by leaping over the top of the line, but the defense had the better of it overall.

    @ For the second time in this training camp, Antonio Brown and Ike Taylor got into a fight, this time during a red zone drill.

    This one got a little more heated than their previous dust up last week as the two continued to jaw at each other after practice.

    Don't expect any long-lasting effects, however.

    Brown and Taylor are both competitors and neither wants to give an inch. And they've been going against each other on a daily basis now for three weeks. It can get a little irritating.

    http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •