Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign DeCastro

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers sign DeCastro

We're all set and ready to roll

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sign-top-pick-decastro-645883/[/URL]
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Now we know what we can work with in regards to Wallace

Legend

User Info Menu

Lets get to work!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Alrighty then. Let's go get Wallace done and get to work on winning #7!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Great news! I heard this morning that Riley Reiff (taken one pick before DeCastro) had signed with Detroit, and since Dont'a Hightower (taken one pick after DeCastro) signed late last week with New England, I knew that it would only be a matter of time for this to get done before players are due to report to Latrobe on Wednesday, since all of the parameters were set.

As for the other player we signed, here is what SI.com had to say about him prior to the draft:

Bridger Buche
    Position: G
    Class: Sr
    School: Eastern Michigan
    HT: 6'3"
    WT: 305 lbs.
    40 Time: 5.3
    Conference: MAC

Biography: Three-year starter who also saw limited action with the first team during his freshman season. Experienced at both left and right tackle.

Positives: Hardworking lineman who attacks assignments. Blocks with good lean, quickly gets his hands into defenders and moves well on his feet. Quick off the snap, jolts opponents at the point and plays with leverage.

Negatives: Lacks blocking balance and on the ground too much. Struggles finishing blocks and falls off opponents.

Analysis: Buche is a wide-bodied blocker who takes up a lot of space but also moves well on his feet. He possesses enough skill to get an invite to camp this summer for a zone blocking team.

Projection: FA
    [URL]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/71025.html[/URL]

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Great news! I heard this morning that Riley Reiff (taken one pick before DeCastro) had signed with Detroit, and since Dont'a Hightower (taken one pick after DeCastro) signed late last week with New England, I knew that it would only be a matter of time for this to get done before players are due to report to Latrobe on Wednesday, since all of the parameters were set.

As for the other player we signed, here is what SI.com had to say about him prior to the draft:

[URL]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/71025.html[/URL]

The guy not named DeCastro just seems like a camp body.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The guy not named DeCastro just seems like a camp body.
    Yeah, but a cheaper camp body than Jon Scott.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

DeCastro gets fourth-year roster, workout bonuses
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT

The Steelers were believed to be dug in regarding the question of whether any portion of guard Dave DeCastro’s fourth-year compensation would be guaranteed. In the end, none of it is.

As a practical matter, some of it is.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract between the Steelers and the 24th overall pick in the 2012 draft (which will become official on Tuesday), the Steelers agreed to shift $325,000 of the 2015 pay into a roster bonus that is due on the third day of the league year. Another $100,000 has been moved to a workout bonus.

The Patriots gave linebacker Dont’a Hightower, the 25th pick in the draft, no guarantees or similar devices in the fourth year of the deal. It’s unknown whether and to what extent the Lions did anything other than commit to a non-guaranteed base salary for tackle Riley Reiff, the 23rd overall pick, in year four.

Last year, the 24th pick (Cameron Jordan of the Saints) received no guarantees or similar devices in the fourth year of the deal. The 23rd pick (Eagles guard Danny Watkins) had $100,000 of his 2014 salary shifted to a reporting bonus, per a league source.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/23/decastro-gets-fourth-year-roster-workout-bonuses/[/URL]

Backup

User Info Menu

Well that is certainly great news....Now what are the chances that the Wallace deal will get done?

I am cautiously optimistic...but for some reason I am not feeling real good about the Wallace situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    Well that is certainly great news....Now what are the chances that the Wallace deal will get done?

I am cautiously optimistic...but for some reason I am not feeling real good about the Wallace situation.
    I think Wallace will hold out most if not all of camp. I hope he is there in two days but that doesn't appear to be his priority. I think he looks at what Vincent Jackson did last and will consider doing the same thing.