Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: does this change anyones opinion of wallace now?

Legend

User Info Menu

does this change anyones opinion of wallace now?

[URL]http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/07/27/wallace-was-offered-more-than-brown/[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I read that last night. My opinion hasn't really changed because I didn't think he'd sign for that. He seems to want top 5 money and anything less than that he won't take. I don't think he's worth top 5 money either. If I'm not mistaken, he did an interview during the middle of last season and came across as quite arrogant. I think it was a national interview with both he and Brown. Ever since then, my opinion of him lowered. It was also very telling when a Ravens DB, Webb maybe??? said they thought Brown was more of a threat or harder to defend than Wallace.

I hope he gets the big money he wants, but from an NFC team. Hate to see him stay in the AFC.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

nope, and I hope he decides to stay.

I can't blame wallace for wanting top dollar, nor do I blame the steelers for not wanting to pay it. This is a business and wallace has a finite time to make his money. Its his decision and his alone.

no hard feelings either way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    nope, and I hope he decides to stay.

I can't blame wallace for wanting top dollar, nor do I blame the steelers for not wanting to pay it. This is a business and wallace has a finite time to make his money. Its his decision and his alone.

no hard feelings either way.
    My sentiments exactly...
    In my opinion though we signed the more complete football player..
    If Sanders can stay healthy, next year we might be saying "Wallace who?"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    My sentiments exactly...
    In my opinion though we signed the more complete football player..
    If Sanders can stay healthy, next year we might be saying "Wallace who?"
    I don't like saying "if"
    Bc history says he's an injury risk, and that makes "if" nothing more than a hope.
    but, I'd be ok with trading him to the rams or dolphins. At least if we can get a really good pick for him

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I feel more comforable now that Mark Kaboly has proclaimed Mike Wallace will never sign with Steelers. It seems Mark Kaboly has an axe to grind against Mike Wallace. Isn't he the same guy who said Plex has almost signed with Steelers last season???

Nowhere in the article it says why Mike Wallace declined the offer? More guaranteed money or signing bonus?? What are his sources?? No details on contract whatsoever.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

This crap article didn't change my view one iota. Kaboly is wrong more than he is right. Where does he pull this from?

Wallace’s best option now is to not sign his tender until he has to (Nov. 13) and hope that the Steelers don’t franchise him next year so he can be an unrestricted free agent. There’s really nothing financially in it for Wallace to sign his tender and report to camp now.
    How in the world is this Wallace's best option now? Antonio Brown's 2012 cap hit is essentially what we saved when we dumped Jonathan Scott. There is still room on our cap for a sizable Wallace extension now (a veteran minimum salary and the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus). His conclusion that Wallace's best bet would be to sit out until 11-13-12 is foolhardy at best.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Totally agreed. To wait til the absolute last moment, alienate & undermine future negotiations with the Steelers and make it seem (to the rest of the league) that you are problematic... and that is your "best option"?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    This crap article didn't change my view one iota. Kaboly is wrong more than he is right. Where does he pull this from?

How in the world is this Wallace's best option now? Antonio Brown's 2012 cap hit is essentially what we saved when we dumped Jonathan Scott. There is still room on our cap for a sizable Wallace extension now (a veteran minimum salary and the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus). His conclusion that Wallace's best bet would be to sit out until 11-13-12 is foolhardy at best.
    Agreed 100%. The way I see it, Wallace has basically 3 options:
    1. Sign the tender and report to camp. He could then either play for the $2.7M or reach agreement on a long-term contract before the season begins. He would be fully prepared for the season and could play with a fat, new bank account or show the world that he is deserving of a mega-deal in full free agency. Either way, he has an excellent opportunity to get what he wants.

2. Continue to hold out from camp, but report in time for the regular season. This would seemingly be idiotic. He would not be fully prepared for the season and the chances are that his production would be significantly impacted...at least early on. Since the Steelers will not be negotiating until he reports and considering they have another tradition of not negotiating any contracts during the season, this tactic makes no sense on any level. He gains nothing and hurts his chances to shine.

3. Hold out through week 10 and report. Not only would he be ill-prepared to step-in and contribute at this point, his numbers will do nothing to help him in the open market next year. On top of that, making yourself out to be a diva with an inflated sense of self-worth, is no way to win potential suitors over. Yeah, everyone knows it's a business and none of this will make Mike Wallace slower on a football field. But could anyone honestly see him doing better than 5 years and $50M on the open market after pulling something like that? I certainly don't. The only potentially redeeming thing about this option is the limited opportunity for injury...which is still about as lame of a reason as I can think of.

If it's true that Wallace turned down 5 years and $50M and he still thinks he can get more, then I see him and the Steelers at an impasse. In this scenario, I think a hold-out deep into the regular season becomes likely.

It comes down to one question Mike. Do you want to be a Pittsburgh Steeler?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Agreed 100%. The way I see it, Wallace has basically 3 options:
    1. Sign the tender and report to camp. He could then either play for the $2.7M or reach agreement on a long-term contract before the season begins. He would be fully prepared for the season and could play with a fat, new bank account or show the world that he is deserving of a mega-deal in full free agency. Either way, he has an excellent opportunity to get what he wants.

2. Continue to hold out from camp, but report in time for the regular season. This would seemingly be idiotic. He would not be fully prepared for the season and the chances are that his production would be significantly impacted...at least early on. Since the Steelers will not be negotiating until he reports and considering they have another tradition of not negotiating any contracts during the season, this tactic makes no sense on any level. He gains nothing and hurts his chances to shine.

3. Hold out through week 10 and report. Not only would he be ill-prepared to step-in and contribute at this point, his numbers will do nothing to help him in the open market next year. On top of that, making yourself out to be a diva with an inflated sense of self-worth, is no way to win potential suitors over. Yeah, everyone knows it's a business and none of this will make Mike Wallace slower on a football field. But could anyone honestly see him doing better than 5 years and $50M on the open market after pulling something like that? I certainly don't. The only potentially redeeming thing about this option is the limited opportunity for injury...which is still about as lame of a reason as I can think of.

If it's true that Wallace turned down 5 years and $50M and he still thinks he can get more, then I see him and the Steelers at an impasse. In this scenario, I think a hold-out deep into the regular season becomes likely.

It comes down to one question Mike. Do you want to be a Pittsburgh Steeler?
    Right on Indeed!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!