Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 68 of 68

Thread: does this change anyones opinion of wallace now?

  1. #61
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,039
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Of course... that's the case. My analogy was more geared towards if you didn't have the option NOT to sell.

    With that being said, let's use your added comment into my original analogy. If you want "fair" value for your home at 200k and I don't think that is fair value based on market conditions, I'm not paying it. As the person offering the house, I have to think... take less money now and have it guaranteed (Wallace Translation: Sign a long-term deal with the steelers), take it off the market for a year and try to get "fair" value then (Wallace Translation: Hold Out for Next Year), or wait for another offer from someone else (Wallace Translation: Not possible because he's a RFA, not a UFA). We'll leave trades out of it.

    Obviously, sports is a bit different but that is where the Steelers are at. They don't agree with what Mike Wallace thinks his fair value is so they aren't offering the contract he wants. It's as simple as that. If Wallace wants to "roll the dice" and wait until next year to see if he can get his "so called" fair value then he should go for it. But, I guarantee that offer next year won't be coming from the Steelers.

    you make a good point using very sound logic.

    however, Mike Wallace obviously doesn't feel the need to sell his house and feels like he will just wait for a better offer in the future just like vincent Jackson was able to do. and you're absolutely right, that higher offer will not be coming from the Steelers.

  2. #62
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,075
    Some players just love to play and will get some kind of deal done, regardless of what their agents say, just so they can get on the field
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

  3. #63
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,256
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I just view him as another dime a dozen WR that Colbert/Tomlin are really good at drafting.
    Are Colbert/Tomlin really that good at drafting WR's, or did they just get extraordinarily lucky in 2009-2010?

    In 2008, they took Limas Sweed in round 2. Colbert should have thought about faking an injury following this pick.

    In 2007, they took Dallas Baker in round 7. Dallas Baker the Touchdown Maker? Not quite.


    In the pre-Tomlin years, Colbert wasn't exactly hitting home runs with all of his receiver picks either.


    In 2006, he took Santonio Holmes in round 1. Sure, Holmes won a Super Bowl MVP and we should all be eternally grateful. However, we traded our 1st, 3rd, and 4th round picks to get him, and got back a 5th rounder for him 4 years later...even the housing market didn't lose value this quickly.

    In 2006, he also took Willie Reid in round 3. The only reason that Willie Reid isn't despised more in Steeler Nation is because Anthony Smith was drafted a dozen spots earlier, so Killswitch deflects much of the hate which might otherwise be aimed toward Reid.

    In 2005, he took Fred Gibson in round 4. Hey, we got Hines Ward from Georgia with a mid-round pick...maybe we could strike gold by using another mid-round pick in a Georgia wideout...yeah, keep dreaming...didn't even last through 1 camp.

    In 2002, he took Antwaan Randle El in round 2. Randle El was excellent in a Slash 2.0 complementary role, but no one ever mistook him for a top notch wideout except for Dan Snyder who foolishly paid him like one.

    In 2002, he also took Lee Mays in round 6. Lee Mays somehow stuck around Pittsburgh for 5 years. He had 11 total catches IN FIVE YEARS.

    In 2000, he took Plaxico Burress in round 1. Burress was a tremendous talent that you would think would have been worth the 8th overall pick, but when you factor in his attitude, the front office decided that it was in the best interest of the team to let him walk away for zero compensation after his rookie deal expired. At least he was someone else's problem when he shot himself in the leg with a gun that he smuggled into a nightclub in the elastic waistband of his sweatpants.

    In 2000, he also took Danny Farmer in round 4. Farmer trailblazed the path for Fred Gibson to follow by being a 4th round wideout to not make it out of his rookie training camp. He's eternally grateful that Bruce Davis eventually became an even more embarrassing pick out of UCLA.
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 07-30-2012 at 01:15 AM.

  4. #64
    Or did they just get unlucky with those picks?

    They did have servicable WRs like Nate Washington and Cedrick Wilson in the meantime, along with the YMC and Cotchery...perhaps not all drafted, but Colbert brought them in...

  5. #65
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,369
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Are Colbert/Tomlin really that good at drafting WR's, or did they just get extraordinarily lucky in 2009-2010?

    In 2008, they took Limas Sweed in round 2. Colbert should have thought about faking an injury following this pick.

    In 2007, they took Dallas Baker in round 7. Dallas Baker the Touchdown Maker? Not quite.


    In the pre-Tomlin years, Colbert wasn't exactly hitting home runs with all of his receiver picks either.


    In 2006, he took Santonio Holmes in round 1. Sure, Holmes won a Super Bowl MVP and we should all be eternally grateful. However, we traded our 1st, 3rd, and 4th round picks to get him, and got back a 5th rounder for him 4 years later...even the housing market didn't lose value this quickly.

    In 2006, he also took Willie Reid in round 3. The only reason that Willie Reid isn't despised more in Steeler Nation is because Anthony Smith was drafted a dozen spots earlier, so Killswitch deflects much of the hate which might otherwise be aimed toward Reid.

    In 2005, he took Fred Gibson in round 4. Hey, we got Hines Ward from Georgia with a mid-round pick...maybe we could strike gold by using another mid-round pick in a Georgia wideout...yeah, keep dreaming...didn't even last through 1 camp.

    In 2002, he took Antwaan Randle El in round 2. Randle El was excellent in a Slash 2.0 complementary role, but no one ever mistook him for a top notch wideout except for Dan Snyder who foolishly paid him like one.

    In 2002, he also took Lee Mays in round 6. Lee Mays somehow stuck around Pittsburgh for 5 years. He had 11 total catches IN FIVE YEARS.

    In 2000, he took Plaxico Burress in round 1. Burress was a tremendous talent that you would think would have been worth the 8th overall pick, but when you factor in his attitude, the front office decided that it was in the best interest of the team to let him walk away for zero compensation after his rookie deal expired. At least he was someone else's problem when he shot himself in the leg with a gun that he smuggled into a nightclub in the elastic waistband of his sweatpants.

    In 2000, he also took Danny Farmer in round 4. Farmer trailblazed the path for Fred Gibson to follow by being a 4th round wideout to not make it out of his rookie training camp. He's eternally grateful that Bruce Davis eventually became an even more embarrassing pick out of UCLA.
    Tomlin's only been here since 2007 with Colbert, so these 2 are responsible for bringing in Sweed, Baker, Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery. I'd say 4 for 6 is a pretty good average. Baker was a 7th rounder that never had a chance to pan out, so no big deal. I'd say Sweed was the only miss. And the kid had talent even though he may not have had a strong mental makeup.

  6. #66
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,900
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    you make a good point using very sound logic.

    however, Mike Wallace obviously doesn't feel the need to sell his house and feels like he will just wait for a better offer in the future just like vincent Jackson was able to do. and you're absolutely right, that higher offer will not be coming from the Steelers.
    If E. Sanders can't stay healthy, the Steelers just may boost their offer, but I don't think will it involve multi-millions.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    If E. Sanders can't stay healthy, the Steelers just may boost their offer, but I don't think will it involve multi-millions.
    Until he reports, there will be no offer.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    I feel more comforable now that Mark Kaboly has proclaimed Mike Wallace will never sign with Steelers. It seems Mark Kaboly has an axe to grind against Mike Wallace. Isn't he the same guy who said Plex has almost signed with Steelers last season???

    Nowhere in the article it says why Mike Wallace declined the offer? More guaranteed money or signing bonus?? What are his sources?? No details on contract whatsoever.
    Kaboly is truly awful. In addition to Burress, he was also dead wrong on Max Starks, saying that he would not be brought back unless Adams struggled in camp. He then deleted his report.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •