Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers ink Antonio Brown to 5 year 42.5 million dollar extension

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chiken View Post
    The point is, The Team scoring offense sucked.. BEN makes the deep plays by buying time ala risking injury and delivering some sports Center highlight play (more times than not) Thats what MW was great at and thats what we are trying to get Ben to stop doing.

In Response we have changed the offense, looks like we are running and short passing alot more, giving the ball to our quick guys who can rack up yards after the catch (something that MW is not really great at)

What Good was having MW when we were averaging 17 points a game..
    the good was it was enough to win 12 games. what if the average fell to 14 points a game without wallace. how many games will that be good enough to win?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    no one's discrediting that play. it just wasn't a superbowl.

wallace makes lots of plays in the regular season.
    troy has pretty much sucked in 3 superbowls. would you want to discredit his hall of fame career because of it?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    the good was it was enough to win 12 games. what if the average fell to 14 points a game without wallace. how many games will that be good enough to win?
    then the loss of MW would translate to about 3 points, which is not worth what he is asking...

I am not a MW hater, actually enjoy the guy on the field but the bottom line is he doesn't want to play for what we can afford to pay him and his loss can be made up with a different OC and better O Line play..

I think honestly we score more points this year whether Mw is there or not....

Legend

User Info Menu

its off season, so everybody is optimistic. hell, i am too.

but, we've heard this every year. we poo pood the loss of santonio, then were left to wonder what might have been if he was there for the last drive in the SB loss. this team is built to win now, so even a slight change can hurt us for a chance at another ring

i'm optimistic the O can be better cause we have finally have seem to address the OL woes, but i'll believe it when i see it. and they are young so i would expect some growing pains.
    taking the offense's most dangerous weapon away from a unit that ranked 21st doesnt look good on paper

Legend

User Info Menu

but, we've heard this every year. we poo pood the loss of santonio, then were left to wonder what might have been if he was there for the last drive in the SB loss. this team is built to win now, so even a slight change can hurt us for a chance at another ring

i'm optimistic the O can be better cause we have finally have seem to address the OL woes, but i'll believe it when i see it. and they are young so i would expect some growing pains.
    taking the offense's most dangerous weapon away from a unit that ranked 21st doesnt look good on paper
    it feels like it would be safer to have wally for at least one more year. the more the better. heck even franchise him next year if we have to. i like the guy. i'm just not sure what he wants aligns with his production and importance to the team.

Backup

User Info Menu

Our offenses most Dangerous weapons is Ben, he is still there. I think we will be okay

Its a new offense that hopefully gets the ball in the hands of our play-makers early so they can run a little bit..and If Brown can become the play-maker that Holmes was for us we will be much better off. Wallace not playing really shouldn't hurt us all that much, the Front office knew this and that's why they did what they did in my opinion.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chiken View Post
    Our offenses most Dangerous weapons is Ben, he is still there. I think we will be okay

Its a new offense that hopefully gets the ball in the hands of our play-makers early so they can run a little bit..and If Brown can become the play-maker that Holmes was for us we will be much better off. Wallace not playing really shouldn't hurt us all that much, the Front office knew this and that's why they did what they did in my opinion.
    Obviously, Mike Wallace is a great weapon to have...but, the last few years, I've thought that the Steelers have had other weapons (Heath Miller, Rashard Mendenhall out of the backfield) that have been eschewed for the deep ball...

I'd like to see all of the weapons used...

Sanders ran a 4.41 at the combine...we all know how fast Brown is...

I think the Steelers can be fine without Wallace, as long as Ben plays well and the red zone scoring is improved...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The Steelers have no problem putting up yards. The Steelers do have a problem putting up points.

Both Wallace and Brown put up over 1100 yards last year.

But Wallace has caught 24 TD passes in 34 games over 3 seasons while Brown has caught 2 TD passes in 25 games over 2 seasons.

With points at a premium (coming off a season in which we were 21st in scoring offense), I consider a guy who averages 8 TD catches per year as more valuable than a guy who averages 1 TD catch per year. A difference that drastic simply cannot be explained away by the types of routes guys are asked to run. Wes Welker runs a ton of short crossing routes, but he still caught 9 TD passes last season and 7 TD passes the year before that.
    I think play design and red zone packages had something to do with this. Brown often came out in the red zone. If he plays more in the red zone the TDs may come at a much better rate.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Brown got $42.5 million on the basis of one 1100 yard, 2 TD season in which Mike Wallace drew the oppositions best CB consistently and also had safety help over the top shading toward his side to prevent the big play, meaning that Brown routinely faced single coverage against a #2 corner. While Brown was successful last season in this setup, who's to say what will happen when Brown draws top corners and double teams? Yeah, I know people were saying the same thing about how Hines Ward would respond when Plaxico left, but Hines was a 7 year veteran coming off 4 straight 1000 yard seasons when Plax left, which is a far cry from a 6th round pick entering his 3rd NFL season.

Signing Wallace to an extension not only gives us a potentially dominant deep threat in his own right, but also helps assure that Brown can continue to live up to his new contract (Brown has never been "THE MAN" yet in his brief NFL career, and we don't know how he will respond to that level of attention from defenses). Everyone seems to realize that this is a passing league now, but in the same breath considers the guys on the receiving end of those passes to be easily replaceable carbon units who aren't worth any significant money.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the guys name was Taylor or whom ever that played across from either Jerry Rice or maybe someone playing across from Michale Irving that was signed by the Tampa Bay Bucs. He was great when he was just the supporting actor but when the Bucs made him the leading man........his career soured real fast. I hope this is not the case with Brown and I don't think it will be as long as he is mentally tough. With his work ethic that they continue to rave about he, should be fine. I see Brown more in the mold of dare I say, Jimmy Smith type or Hines Ward with quickness.