Thread: Steelers place DeCastro on IR, with designation to return, & add CB DeMarcus Van Dyke

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers place DeCastro on IR, with designation to return, & add CB DeMarcus Van Dyke

Steelers place DeCastro on IR, with designation to return

Posted by Mike Florio on September 7, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
    Getty Images As expected, the Steelers have taken advantage of the [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7412/david-decastro"]David DeCastro[/URL] rule, using it for David DeCastro.
    The rookie first-round offensive lineman has been placed on injured reserve, with the designation that he may return. DeCastro suffered a serious knee injury during the preseason, against the Bills.
    The new tweak to the IR procedures allows DeCastro to return to practice at least six weeks after being placed on the list, and then to practice at least eight weeks after being placed on the list. Once he returns to practice, however, he has only three weeks to be added to the active roster or he’ll be shut down for the year.
    Taking his place on the active roster is cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke, the fastest man in the 2011 Scouting Combine. Drafted by the Raiders in round three, cut earlier this week, and unclaimed on waivers, he slides onto the bottom of the roster in Pittsburgh.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/07/steelers-place-decastro-on-ir-with-designation-to-return/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO this is a big risk with a very valuable asset in DeCastro. Either his MCL tear was not that bad or they have very high confidence in DeCastro or very low confidence in Foster.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    IMO this is a big risk with a very valuable asset in DeCastro. Either his MCL tear was not that bad or they have very high confidence in DeCastro or very low confidence in Foster.
    MCL's are the quickest to heal and the least problematic knee ligament to tear. ACLs and PCLs are much more problematic.

Legend

User Info Menu

They'd just better be sure it's fully healed before bringing him back. Unhealed knee + crappy Heinz turf = bigger blowout waiting to happen.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    They'd just better be sure it's fully healed before bringing him back. Unhealed knee + crappy Heinz turf = bigger blowout waiting to happen.
    Heinz turf is not inherently any more dangerous than any other stadium's surface...

Starter

User Info Menu

The injury must be less severe than they originally suspected, which is great news.

Another AS masterpiece.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    MCL's are the quickest to heal and the least problematic knee ligament to tear. ACLs and PCLs are much more problematic.
    What about Spence's knee injury?

He tore the ACL, and LCL??

Is this career threatening?

JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDSteeler View Post
    What about Spence's knee injury?

He tore the ACL, and LCL??

Is this career threatening?

JD
    Without knowing all of the specifics, I would say yes, off the top of my head...

Now, Spence is young and healthy and ligament repair techniques are pretty advanced at this stage, so I would say that if his surgery was successful, then it may not threaten his career...

Willis McGahee suffered a similarly devastating knee injury (ACL, MCL and PCL) in January 2003 and came back to rush for 1100+ yards in 2004...

Considering that Spence's injury took place in August, not January, I would optimistically guess that he could return for the 2013 season, though I would not be certain of his availability for training camp...depending upon the severity of the injury, the success of the operation and his committment to rehab, he may spend time on the PUP list in 2013...

But, Mendenhall came back after only 8 months from a torn ACL...you can never truly foresee what the future holds for some of these athletes...Spence could come back next year and have 100 tackles...or not...
    Last edited by Slapstick; 09-08-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Heinz Field is re-sodded every year following the 4 PIAA playoff games held there during Thanksgiving weekend. That's about the time that we should be considering bringing DeCastro back, so if he is able to play in December, he'll have games in Baltimore (12/2) and in Dallas (12/16), plus 3 home games (SD 12/9, CIN 12/23, CLE 12/30) on a fresh new Heinz Field turf before the start of the playoffs.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.