Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
At this point, no one on our roster has proven that they can put up TD's on a regular basis except for Mendenhall and Wallace. I think Redman should be able to triple his TD production from his 3 to Mendenhall's 9 based on increased opportunity. But do I see Brown or Sanders or Cotchery or Miller being able to quadruple their TD production from their 2 to Wallace's 8? No. If not, then all four of them would need to double their TD production to 4 in order to make up for Wallace's production (and they'd still be short they extra 2 TD passes Hines caught last year).
The Steelers did just fine when Plaxico left via free agency. The Steelers did just fine when they dumped Santonio Holmes. If Mike Wallace chooses not to sign his tender until week 10 (if at all), the Steelers will do just fine without him as well...

Miller himself has put up 6 and 7 TD seasons before...Heath is still in his prime...he can do it again...

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
Wallace is a weapon, and weapon's cost money. Am I suggesting that we pay him 11+ million? No. But contracts can be structured so they have a minimum base salary in year one (which the team would like so that he fits into our tight cap structure), with greater signing bonus guaranteed dollars than Brown got (which Wallace would like because it gives him security), and possibly even a big ol' balloon payment at the very end that he will never see (which Wallace's agent would like, because it helps his reputation by making it look like he got Wallace a huge deal, even if the money at the very end is only phantom dollars (he'd be cut or have a new deal before that final year's salary kicked in).
You know this and I know this. Most of us on the board know this. You are preaching to the choir...

It's all up to Mike Wallace now...