Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 127

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers ink Antonio Brown to 5 year 42.5 million dollar extension

  1. #61
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Agreed. Wallace was a pretty sizable reason for the success Brown had last season. Here is to hoping we can sign Wallace without breaking the bank, otherwise he can go look for his Fitzgerald money elsewhere.
    I would agree, but the same thing can happen with better play calling where Haley utilizes the RBs and TEs more in the passing game. Instead of safties playing over the top to stop Wallace you force them to come in to cover the RBs or TEs which then let's Brown and Sanders exploit deeper patterns.

    Brown and sanders may not be as fast as Wallace but I will contend that they may use their speed more effectively because of better route running. I always liked Wallace (until he started to play the fool) but I have also always said he may be our third best best WR in terms of overall talent behind Brown and Sanders.

    Also don't underestimate Cotchery. He is one of those WRs that will drive a defense crazy because he always finds the open spot and is available. We will be fine without Wallace. Maybe less ESPN highlight clips but overall effectiveness is what matters and I trust Haley will call a much more effective game than Arians' vertical passing attack that always looked deep.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Brown and sanders may not be as fast as Wallace but I will contend that they may use their speed more effectively because of better route running. I always liked Wallace (until he started to play the fool) but I have also always said he may be our third best best WR in terms of overall talent behind Brown and Sanders.
    Most of this makes sense...but I am not sure why so many people think Sanders is the savior....I am hoping he steps up....But up to this point, he has very limited production and has not been able to stay on the field with any regularity.

    If anyone thinks we are better without Wallace they are mistaken. It would be great if they can still work a deal with Wallace. Locking up Brown and Wallace for the next 4 to 5 years would be huge.

    I am hoping Maze or Clemons steps up in camp. Without Wallace we are thin at the WR spot....and if history means anything, I am not banking on Sanders...

  3. #63
    Hall of Famer DukieBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,123
    There is more than one direction in which to "stretch the field". I read that Haley has the offense working on alot of swing routes to the RBs.
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL






  4. #64
    True...but running East West doesn't usually make first downs or TDs...

  5. #65
    Pro Bowler Flasteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere on the water.
    Posts
    2,476
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    There is more than one direction in which to "stretch the field". I read that Haley has the offense working on alot of swing routes to the RBs.
    Rainey on wheel routes and swing passes will be devastating.



    "I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

    "Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."


    -Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    True...but running East West doesn't usually make first downs or TDs...
    To be fair, its not like we were scoring touchdowns with Wallace.. our scoring offense sucked.

  7. #67
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We'll see what happens this year without Wallace. IMO Brown's TDs will soar.
    Wallace gave us 8 TD catches last year. Brown gave us 2 TD catches.

    If Wallace isn't around, and Brown's TD production somehow manages to "soar" up to 10 TD catches to make up the difference, that still leaves us right where we were last season (when we were 21st in scoring).

  8. #68
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,372
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Wallace gave us 8 TD catches last year. Brown gave us 2 TD catches.

    If Wallace isn't around, and Brown's TD production somehow manages to "soar" up to 10 TD catches to make up the difference, that still leaves us right where we were last season (when we were 21st in scoring).
    Wally doesn't score TDs in the postseason. In fact he practically disappears. He also played a major roll in losing to GreenBay in the SuperBowl when he was totally clueless on the last drive.

    The Steelers paid Ward a king's ransom, but at least he showed up when the games counted. Does it really matter what Wallace does in the regular season?

  9. #69
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,256
    Quote Originally Posted by chiken View Post
    To be fair, its not like we were scoring touchdowns with Wallace.. our scoring offense sucked.
    Mike Wallace's 24 TD catches in 3 seasons would beg to differ.

    Antonio Brown has averaged 1 TD catch per season in the NFL.

    Emmanuel Sanders has averaged 2 TD catches per season in the NFL.

    Jerricho Cotchery has averages 2.5 TD catches per season in the NFL.

    Considering the team is struggling to score TD's, it seems like Steeler fans are profoundly confident in 3 guys who combine to average 5.5 TD catches per season, but are perfectly happy to dump Mike Wallace who averages 8 TD catches per season by himself.

  10. #70
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,256
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Wally doesn't score TDs in the postseason. In fact he practically disappears. He also played a major roll in losing to GreenBay in the SuperBowl when he was totally clueless on the last drive.

    The Steelers paid Ward a king's ransom, but at least he showed up when the games counted. Does it really matter what Wallace does in the regular season?
    Mike Wallace caught a 4th quarter TD pass in the Super Bowl to bring us within a field goal.

    Neither Antonio Brown nor Emmanuel Sanders has caught a TD pass in 4 playoff games each.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •