Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For OV - Joe Burnett CFL Defensive player of the week

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Thank you for uploading this.

No matter what, no matter what kind of nice guy or whatever anyone wants to say about a guy like this, the bottom line is that he isn't/wasn't an NFL caliber player. And I know that you can't take one play, and indict a guy's total ability. But in that case (I can still see it in my mind's eye), you simply can't drop that pass. You can't.

It's worse than Tim McKyer getting beat in the '94 AFCC when he had no business getting beat...

The only Steeler play that comes to mind (off top of my head) that was worse, was Tommy Maddox fumbling away a regular season Jax(?) game by not being able to bend down to pick up a ball... a ball that my 80-year old grandpa could pick up.

the fact he undercut that route and got in position for the INT was whats inpressive. our corners in recent years (opposite ike) would have let the ball get into the receiver and then try to knock it out of his hands hoping for an incompletion.

it wasnt the same as say an asante sameul drop in the SB where the ball was thrown right at him

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Burnett's drop during a losing skid a year after winning the SB is worse than Tim McKyer getting beat in the AFCCG?

Did you major in theatrics? LOL.... no way was Burnett's drop worse. LOL
    I'm just talking in terms of level of difficulty (during the particular play). McKyer was stupid for letting the guy get behind him, but Burnett basically had the ball tossed to him like you would a 10-year old kid.

BTW, I totally neglected Ike on my list for some reason. His overtime, Demaryius Thomas play ranks on the list, with Burnett, McKyer, and Maddox.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Much like Ovi I liked Burnett from the start. He just seems to be a playmaker. He was one of the few corners we had who actually broke on the ball. I refuse to believe that he was released for that dropped interception. If that was the case Ike would have been gone long ago. I can only speculate that he wasn't picking up the defense fast enough. Too bad Lake wasn't the DB coach for him ... maybe things would have worked out different.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Pointing out one drop as a definition of whether you have talent to play in the NFL is riduiculous. Burnett isn't in the NFL so be it, but it isn't because of one dropped INT...which by the way he was in position to get because he had the WR blanketed.
    It's not just that one drop. It's just a sign that emerges (among other information), that makes you realize that he is not of that caliber. If Darrelle Revis made that easy a drop in that situation (which he never would BTW... but if he ever did), obviously you wouldn't cut him. But taking into account Burnett's potential (as perceived by the coaches), his draft status, his production, etc. it was telling.

It's like the story of Mitt Romney strapping his family dog to the top of his car on a 12-hour drive, even while the dog was so terrified/uncomfortable that it sh- tall over itself. That obviously says nothing about his policies, stances etc. as it relates to being a legislator. But it is telling as to the kind of person he is... that has a big say as to what type of leader he would be, I would say.

Legend

User Info Menu

Great...now every time a see a cornerback drop an interception, I am immediately going to get a disturbing mental image of a dog crapping itself from because it's crate was strapped to the roof of a car for a 12 hour drive (after all, both Burnett and Seamus the dog ended up in Canada).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Much like Ovi I liked Burnett from the start. He just seems to be a playmaker. He was one of the few corners we had who actually broke on the ball. I refuse to believe that he was released for that dropped interception. If that was the case Ike would have been gone long ago. I can only speculate that he wasn't picking up the defense fast enough. Too bad Lake wasn't the DB coach for him ... maybe things would have worked out different.
    he was never great at run support and as we've heard thru the years the steelers want corners who are good against the run