Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace officially a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

Legend

User Info Menu

Wallace a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

Wallace a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

July 25, 2012
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Wallace, reaching for a catch in a game last season against Seattle.

Mike Wallace took another stand when he did not report to training camp on time, and now apparently the Steelers will take one of their own as the contract impasse between the two sides takes a new turn.

The Steelers will suspend negotiations on a multiple-year contract until Wallace signs his one-year tender and reports to the team, a club source said. As a restricted free agent, Wallace was offered a one-year contract worth $2.472 million last March but he remains the only RFA in the NFL who has not signed.

Wallace, who made the Pro Bowl in his third season last year, cannot practice until he is under contract, either by signing the one-year tender or by signing another contract offered by the team that has now been basically rescinded.

The stance of ending negotiations for a holdout has been taken by the team before, most recently when Hines Ward held out for the first two weeks of the 2005 training camp. However, Ward had one year left on his contract at the time and was pressing for a new one. After ending his holdout, negotiations resumed and he received a four-year extension three weeks later.

Steelers president Art Rooney II declined comment on the situation Wednesday during a press conference to formally announce the signing of first-round draft choice David DeCastro. In June, Rooney told the Post-Gazette, regarding Wallace's absence from all spring activities, "He should be here."

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/wallace-a-no-show-steelers-suspend-negotiations-646152/#ixzz21eyCjtyH[/URL]
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 07-25-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I suspect this won't end well. By history, Wallace knew if he didn't show the Steelers would stop talking. Therefore, I must assume he is more than posturing.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Perhaps this is cockeyed optimism, but I have a feeling that a Wallace deal gets worked out in the next week or two, or that, at a very minimum, he reports to camp.

Legend

User Info Menu

If he doesn't report they should be done talking. When he is on the field then he earns the right to negotiate.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If he doesn't report they should be done talking. When he is on the field then he earns the right to negotiate.
    The Steelers won't negotiate until he reports...

In the meantime, Emmanuel Sanders will take over the X (Split End) for Wallace...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The Steelers won't negotiate until he reports...

In the meantime, Emmanuel Sanders will take over the X (Split End) for Wallace...
    I am looking forward to Brown and Sanders having great seasons.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Wallace and his agent have now painted themselves into a corner and the only way out of the corner is for Wallace to sign his RFA tender and report to camp so negotiations will resume once again.

the Steelers will not waver in their stance, history has proven that.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Can the Steelers reduce the tender now?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Can the Steelers reduce the tender now?
    No, I don't believe they can. There was only a short window for them to be able to do that.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Settle down...give it a couple of days for the nuts & bolts to be ironed out & he'll be there. Maybe not even that long. Wes Saunders just about let the cat out of the bag- the deal looks to be just about in place.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE