Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace officially a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    I don't think Wallace is worth a Fitzgerald contract either, but I don't begrudge the guy if he used that as a "shoot for the stars" opening to the negotiation process (and none of us even know if that was the case...Wallace's only actual comment when asked about Fitzesque demands was "don't believe everything you hear").

If you recall, Ray Rice stated early in his negotiations that he would like an Adrian Peterson sized contract (wouldn't we all?). $100 million contracts for RB's like Peterson and WR's like Fitzgerald (regardless of how good those players are) are ridiculous in a salary cap environment (at this time, $100 million contracts are only worth giving to QB's who are capable of leading teams to Super Bowls). Rice ultimately received essentially half the contract that Peterson got (after all, the Ravens have a smart front office that fields a perennial contender, unlike the Vikings and Cardinals). I expect Wallace to end up something very similar to Rice (after all, the Steelers also have a smart front office that fields a perennial contender, unlike the Vikings and Cardinals).

Well, I think in this year of a new OC, new playbook, and all that entails, that Wallace's no show is hurting the team. So I'm P.O.'d at him.

I don't know if his agent or anyone else agrees with me, but I think his best chance for the most money next year would be if the Steelers do really well this year. So, I think he's shooting himself in the foot also, by not coming in and learning the playbook with the other guys. There's a bonding in there that he'll be missing.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

I'm with the opinion that no one can deny the guy is fast and he has decent hands but, I don't think he is another Larry Fitzgerald either. Maybe he will be the ultimate weapon sometime down the road but I just wouldn't break the bank for him to keep him on the team. I guess it's a moot point because, he'll never get what he wants as long as he's not in trainng camp.

Steelers Suspend Contract Negotiations With WR Mike Wallace

by Neal Coolong on Jul 25, 2012

It came as expected.

Steelers WR Mike Wallace wanted a long-term extension, and said he wasn't going to play for his $2.7 million tender offer from the team in restricted free agency.

The Steelers said they'd negotiate in good faith, provided Wallace signs his tender and participates in training camp.

Neither of those things appear to be happening today, as multiple sources are reporting Wallace has not signed either his tender or an extension, and he is not participating in today's conditioning test.

Let the stalemate begin.

There are a few scenarios that could play out of this. Wallace could sign his tender, get into camp and allow negotiations to continue. He could not sign it, and likely see the Steelers continue their lack of negotiation on a long-term deal. He could sign it and both sides could come to agreement on a long-term deal.

At this point, it's anyone's guess, but it's officially the time to begin viewing this team without its leading receiver until further notice.

That could last straight through Week 10, the last time Wallace can sign his tender, report to the team and still be credited with a season toward unrestricted free agency, which Wallace is set to hit next season.

We could go on, but at least now it's official, Wallace is not at training camp, and is a confirmed holdout.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...r-mike-wallace

Ed: Wallace, Not Agent, Calling the Shots

THURSDAY, 26 JULY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Don’t blame the agent for Mike Wallace’s holdout. Bus Cook isn’t driving this bus, Mike Wallace is. That’s what I’ve been told, that Wallace and not his agent is calling the shots on this one. Often, a player takes the advice of his agent on how to proceed, whether to attend spring practices, hold out from them, report to camp, etc. Wallace, though, is telling the agent what he wants to do and what kind of money he wants. Cook has not been returning reporters’ phone calls and I don’t think I’ve seen him quoted anywhere during this entire negotiating process. Wallace also has kept a low profile, writing sporadically about other things on twitter but his situation with the Steelers. Kevin Colbert today said he’s been talking to both Cook and Wallace, and today Colbert stated publicly what I wrote yesterday – the Steelers have suspended negotiations and taken their last best offer from the table.

Here’s Colbert: “We’ve chosen to not progress with negotiations at this point. Once we made that decision, now we’re in a different mode. We’ll have to address any new negotiations if we get to that point.” Colbert stated that Wallace now will have to sign the one-year tender of $2.7 million before they will resume negotiations on a multiple-year deal. “Him not being here, really we have to focus on what we can control because we can’t control that. Again, every negtiation is unique, you put your best foot forward, if it’s not suitable for both parties, you have to adjust and we’re really in adjust-move-forward-mode right now.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ling-the-shots

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Well, I think in this year of a new OC, new playbook, and all that entails, that Wallace's no show is hurting the team. So I'm P.O.'d at him.

I don't know if his agent or anyone else agrees with me, but I think his best chance for the most money next year would be if the Steelers do really well this year. So, I think he's shooting himself in the foot also, by not coming in and learning the playbook with the other guys. There's a bonding in there that he'll be missing.

Like he said!!!!!

Wallace is really playing this about as wrong as he possibly could. Tweaking the nose of the Steelers will not get him the best result. They made it easy for him: Show up and we keep talking; don't show up and we are done. Can't be any more stupid than Wallace has been.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post

Wallace isn't going to get paid based on how well the team does. Wallace already has an entire body of work that proves what he can do on the field. There are 31 other teams in the league. It only takes one team to offer Wallace a deal he is seeking.
    I don't envision a scenario where the Steelers attempt to keep Wallace in the future if he doesn't like the contract the organization offered. There's no point in keeping a player on the team that isn't happy about his contract situation.

If they can't reach an agreement, both parties will eventually move on.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Like he said!!!!!

Wallace is really playing this about as wrong as he possibly could. Tweaking the nose of the Steelers will not get him the best result. They made it easy for him: Show up and we keep talking; don't show up and we are done. Can't be any more stupid than Wallace has been.
    How smart would it be if Wallace signs the tender, shows up, and blows out a knee? It's happened to players in the past. Do you believe it would be smart for the organization to resign Wallace to a large contract if he blows out a knee? This is the reality of the situation that Wallace faces.

Cook: Big Ben should talk to holdout

July 27, 2012
    By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bet you anything there isn't one Steelers player who holds it against Mike Wallace for not being at training camp. Players know better than anyone that the NFL is a cold, cruel, ugly business. Wallace's contract issue today could be theirs next July. They want to see Wallace get every dollar he can. They're going to want theirs when the time comes.

But that doesn't mean that one of Wallace's teammates -- that would be you, Big Ben -- shouldn't intervene and tell him he's going about this contract thing all wrong. The Steelers have all the leverage. Wallace has none. He can't win by staying away from camp. He can't make the really big money unless he plays this season for the Steelers. They no longer will negotiate a long-term contract with him unless he gets to camp. He has to sign his one-year franchise tender for $2,742,000, report to work at Saint Vincent College and allow his people and their people to get back to work on the contract business.

Where's Jerome Bettis when you need him?

It was Bettis who stepped up for Hines Ward when Ward faced a similar contract dilemma with the Steelers and missed a lot of camp before the 2005 season. Ward idolized Bettis to the point that, if Bettis told him to jump off the Clemente Bridge, he probably would. You might remember Ward crying like a baby after the Steelers lost to New England in the AFC championship game after the '04 season because he thought Bettis was going to retire without getting to a Super Bowl.

Bettis, who ended up sticking around for the '05 season, told Ward to step back from his agent, Eugene Parker, and Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and lead negotiator Omar Khan and go directly to coach Bill Cowher. Ward immediately made the telephone call. Cowher professed his love for Ward as a player and made it clear how much he valued having him on the team.

"For me, I needed to hear that from my head coach," Ward said the next day after reporting to camp and ending his 15-day holdout. Colbert and Khan quickly resumed contract talks with Parker and worked out a new, lucrative deal with Ward before the season. Ward helped lead the team to a win in Super Bowl XL and was named the game's MVP.

Maybe it will work out just as well for Wallace and the Steelers.

It's a nice thought, right?

Ben Roethlisberger is the best person to call Wallace. Maybe it would have been James Farrior -- like Bettis, one of the best leaders in Steelers history -- but the team released him after last season. That's the ugly business side of pro football.

Roethlisberger made it clear Thursday how much he treasures having Wallace as a teammate. Why not? The two have made beautiful music together during Wallace's three years in the league. Every quarterback wants a receiver with Wallace's incredible speed. They all love having a home-run hitter to get behind the defensive backs and catch the football.

"Mike is a great friend and teammate," Roethlisberger said. "We'd love to have him here. He helps this team so much. I hope he gets here. I hope he gets here soon."

It isn't hard to imagine coach Mike Tomlin giving Wallace the same love if Wallace called him. No, Tomlin isn't happy that Wallace isn't in camp. This is different than when Wallace missed the organized team activities and minicamp this spring. Tomlin wants him at Saint Vincent to learn new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's offense and to get on the same page again with Roethlisberger. He made perfect sense when he talked Wednesday of how no one -- including himself -- is bigger than the team. Of course, that was easy for him to say after he agreed earlier in the week to a contract extension through 2016 that set him and his family up for life.

But Tomlin and especially Colbert have often said publicly they want to keep Wallace for a long time. "We want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers," Colbert has said. "We're going to do everything we can. We think he's only scratched the surface of what he can do."

When the Steelers really want a player, they almost always get him. But a long-term deal with Wallace can't happen until he signs the one-year tender and gets to Latrobe. If he thinks the Steelers are going to blink, he's badly mistaken. They never blink when it comes to contracts. They didn't blink with Ward, didn't blink in 1988 with All-Pro Mike Merriweather, who sat out the season, didn't even blink in '84 with Hall of Famer Franco Harris, who was released. There's no way they blink with Wallace.

Let's review:

Roethlisberger needs to call Wallace. Wallace needs to call Tomlin. Wallace needs to get to camp.

The two sides need to work out a long-term deal.

Today isn't soon enough to get started.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz21nRuM6NF

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    How smart would it be if Wallace signs the tender, shows up, and blows out a knee? It's happened to players in the past. Do you believe it would be smart for the organization to resign Wallace to a large contract if he blows out a knee? This is the reality of the situation that Wallace faces.

First, he simply does not have the option of negotiating while sitting out. So why try to justify his hold-out as just a precaution until he gets his big contract?

Second, "fear of injury" and "getting as much money as possible" don't really go together. In fact, showing any fear of injury UNDERMINES Mike's bargaining position. The best way for Mike to get as much money as possible is to prove to the Steelers that (a) he is in great shape and doing everything possible (training, studying the offense, participating in all sessions) to set himself up for a big year and (b) if he does not get the amount he wants, he is not afraid to play out this year for the RFA amount (risking any injury that could occur over the course of all those games and practices) and hit the market next year. You get the best offer in a single-shot negotiation when you indicate you are willing to walk away or take the alternative.

Now maybe Mike dislikes risk and would prefer to reach a long-term deal quickly to avoid getting injured while practicing under the RFA amount; but then he should have been able to get the deal done before or at the start of training camp. And it necessarily would have been for less money than he would get by hanging in there for a few weeks during camp, because there is a trade-off between impatience/risk aversion and drawing out the best offer.

Hardly anyone questions Mike's interest in getting as much money as possible (given his own risk preferences); people are simply questioning his tactics.