Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace officially a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

Hybrid View

Wallace a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

Wallace a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

July 25, 2012
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Wallace, reaching for a catch in a game last season against Seattle.

Mike Wallace took another stand when he did not report to training camp on time, and now apparently the Steelers will take one of their own as the contract impasse between the two sides takes a new turn.

The Steelers will suspend negotiations on a multiple-year contract until Wallace signs his one-year tender and reports to the team, a club source said. As a restricted free agent, Wallace was offered a one-year contract worth $2.472 million last March but he remains the only RFA in the NFL who has not signed.

Wallace, who made the Pro Bowl in his third season last year, cannot practice until he is under contract, either by signing the one-year tender or by signing another contract offered by the team that has now been basically rescinded.

The stance of ending negotiations for a holdout has been taken by the team before, most recently when Hines Ward held out for the first two weeks of the 2005 training camp. However, Ward had one year left on his contract at the time and was pressing for a new one. After ending his holdout, negotiations resumed and he received a four-year extension three weeks later.

Steelers president Art Rooney II declined comment on the situation Wednesday during a press conference to formally announce the signing of first-round draft choice David DeCastro. In June, Rooney told the Post-Gazette, regarding Wallace's absence from all spring activities, "He should be here."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz21eyCjtyH
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 07-25-2012 at 04:31 PM.

I suspect this won't end well. By history, Wallace knew if he didn't show the Steelers would stop talking. Therefore, I must assume he is more than posturing.

Perhaps this is cockeyed optimism, but I have a feeling that a Wallace deal gets worked out in the next week or two, or that, at a very minimum, he reports to camp.

Legend
    If he doesn't report they should be done talking. When he is on the field then he earns the right to negotiate.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If he doesn't report they should be done talking. When he is on the field then he earns the right to negotiate.
    The Steelers won't negotiate until he reports...

In the meantime, Emmanuel Sanders will take over the X (Split End) for Wallace...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The Steelers won't negotiate until he reports...

In the meantime, Emmanuel Sanders will take over the X (Split End) for Wallace...
    I am looking forward to Brown and Sanders having great seasons.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

I always like how fans are so quick to take the hard line on these type of situations. If it were you an athlete playing a violent game that at any time your career could be over due to injury and you know that regardless of injury your career will be over before you are 40, wouldn't you want some kind of security?
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I always like how fans are so quick to take the hard line on these type of situations. If it were you an athlete playing a violent game that at any time your career could be over due to injury and you know that regardless of injury your career will be over before you are 40, wouldn't you want some kind of security?
    The whole "I'm afraid of injury" BS is well...BS. He is afraid to get hurt but once he gets the money he doesn't mind getting hurt because that's the team's problem not his. Great perspective on being part of a team.

Every player in camp right now could get a career ending injury at any time. Many of them making way less than $2.7M. I guess Wallace just thinks he's a little more "special" than any of them.

The whole "I'm afraid of injury" BS is well...BS. He is afraid to get hurt but once he gets the money he doesn't mind getting hurt because that's the team's problem not his. Great perspective on being part of a team.

Every player in camp right now could get a career ending injury at any time. Many of them making way less than $2.7M. I guess Wallace just thinks he's a little more "special" than any of them.
    I'm tired of the Wallace 'thang'! If Da Kid won't sign on the dotted line and get to TC he just might need a good old decleater to get him out of his funk-- kind of like when you slap an old radio upside the plastic to get it working right again. James? You busy tonight?

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

If you don't think that Wallace is a little more "special" than most, I don't know what games you are watching. Special players get paid. Wallace is a special player. Period.

The people making less than $2.7 million are either role players or still on their rookie contract.

A 32 year old Larry "Slow-A-" Foote will make more than Wallace's RFA tender this year (he's due $3 million in base salary). Foote's $1.8 million signing bonus on the three-year, $9.3 million contract he signed a couple of seasons ago is more than Wallace made in his 3 NFL seasons combined ($1.74 million). You don't think his 171 catches for 3206 yards and 24 touchdowns are worth more than Larry Foote?