Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace officially a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    How so? What leads you to believe that?
    It's unfortunate he's not here...

We'll focus our energies on the guys that are here....

I'm going to work with Manny Sanders cause he's here and I'm excited about it....

This is bigger than all of us....

I listened to the press conference and just heard it as a shot at Wally's ego. Seems like Tomlin's always working on his ego in a passive way. From calling him a one trick pony. To dismissing the importance of Wally by saying he'll work with the guys who are here. All the while being nice.

He mentioned a few other things in the presser like there will always be other guys to throw and catch and tackle. It's just the nature of the game.

The thing that really told me it was being aggressive though was that this was in his prepared remarks. It wasn't questions from reporters that got him going on this topic. Tomlin chose to talk about it on his own. It's like he knew these words will probably show up on SportsCenter.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    It's unfortunate he's not here...

We'll focus our energies on the guys that are here....

I'm going to work with Manny Sanders cause he's here and I'm excited about it....

This is bigger than all of us....
    I just don't see how that's passive/aggressive...

I mean, he can't say, "Well, we'll just have to wait for Mike. We won't have anybody running routes from the 'X' position."

I think it's less taking shots at Mike as it is answering the inevitable media questions and laying out specific answers so that he doesn't hear the same questions about Wallace day in and day out...

Report: Steelers have stopped negotiating with WR Mike Wallace

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Blogger
    July 25, 2012

Wallace is still waiting for a long-term deal.

Apparently, the Steelers have had enough of negotiating with Mike Wallace.

According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, the Steelers have decided to shut down contract talks with the talented receiver -- who further raised the team's ire when he didn't report to camp on time.

Wallace -- who supposedly is interested in Larry Fitzgerald-type money (eight years, $120 million) -- is the only restricted free agent in the league who has not signed his tender, and until he does (it's worth $2.472 million for 2012), the team is not going to discuss a multi-year contract with him.

The Post Gazette notes that Hines Ward, who had one year left on his contract at the time, held out for two weeks in 2005 and the team stopped negotiating with him until he showed up at training camp. Three weeks after he made his appearance, Ward got his four-year extension.

About a week ago, CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora said that the two sides were close to a deal, reporting that “the situation has certainly improved since early this offseason” and that “both sides are motivated to complete a long-term contract."

But Wallace's refusal to show for training camp apparently has brought both sides back to the beginning.

In April, Wallace's camp made it clear that he wouldn't sign his free agent tender until “he had to.” You have to wonder when that time will come -- or if it's already passed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...r-mike-wallace

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    F you wallace. this is exactly why i wanted the steelers to reduce his tender on the first day eligible. the organization showed good faith by not reducing it and wallace repays that gesture by not showing up to camp...........F you.
    Classy response...do you plan on cheering the multiple Ben-to-Wallace 40+ yard TD passes that will occur this season, or will you just still continue with the "F you wallace" attitude? Just curious (I don't understand the mindset of letting things like this get so personal...I doubt the folks who are directly involved such as Wallace/Cook or Colbert/Khan are taking this as personal as you are...it's just business...business tends to work it self out when both sides are motivated to get a deal done...and thus far, there is nothing to indicate that is no longer the case from either side).

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Classy response...do you plan on cheering the multiple Ben-to-Wallace 40+ yard TD passes that will occur this season, or will you just still continue with the "F you wallace" attitude? Just curious (I don't understand the mindset of letting things like this get so personal...I doubt the folks who are directly involved such as Wallace/Cook or Colbert/Khan are taking this as personal as you are...it's just business...business tends to work it self out when both sides are motivated to get a deal done...and thus far, there is nothing to indicate that is no longer the case from either side).
    OK, so I guess there is no "Like" button on a message board- well there ought to be for this one!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I'd love to cheer multiple Ben - to - Wallace 40+ yard TD passes but that would require Wallace to be on the field and knowing what route he was suppose to run. Until he shows up we won't be cheering anything.

I guess I'm not as confident that both sides are motivated for a deal given the Steelers stopped negotiating until Wallace shows up. Ball seems to be in his court now to get on the field if he is really motivated to get a deal done.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Wallace Can’t Win

July 25th, 2012
    Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

To steal a line from the movie “Rocky IV” and apply it to Mike Wallace: “You can’t win!”

Mike Wallace can’t win, and won’t win this showdown with the Steelers.

The Steelers disgruntled wide receiver failed to show for the first day of training camp Wednesday, officially making him the first non-rookie holdout since Hines Ward seven years ago, and the Steelers aren’t happy about it.

Very out of character, Mike Tomlin voiced his displeasure a number of times during his opening press conference.

“Obviously on a not so positive note, Mike Wallace isn’t here …”

“He’s not here today and that’s unfortunate for him …”

“This group who are the Pittsburgh Steelers will continue to push on …”

“When he shows up, he shows up …”

“I won’t focus on him until he gets here …”

And who can blame the Steelers?

The two sides were making significant progress with contract negotiations, but with Wallace deciding to hold out, everything has come to a screeching halt.

Whoever is giving Wallace advice isn’t helping his cause whatsoever.

Nothing can and will be accomplished by holding out … at least nothing positive.

First and foremost, Wallace isn’t going to intimidate the Steelers at all. So if that is his plan of why he is deciding to hold out, he’s misguided.

If the Steelers shut off Ward in 2005 when he held out, I am sure they won’t blink when it comes to Wallace.

And it is safe to say that Wallace won’t win any popularity contests with the fans.

There’s no worse recipe for disaster to a player’s public persona that to quibble over money. Pittsburgh fans won’t stand for it.

Wallace has put himself in a lose-lose situation, and he didn’t have to.

There is nothing good that can, and will, come out of holding out, and the longer it goes on, the worse it’s going to get.

It’s likely that Wallace will show up by the beginning of the week meaning that his mini-holdout was just to reinforce his displeasure.

But now, it’s not good for both parties involved, and Wallace has nobody to blame for that except himself.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...h2EL24.twitter

Maybe Mike's not ready for the challenge race with Rainy.
    Seriously, they'll work through this in a couple of weeks.
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

At what point can the Steelers start to fine Wallace and reduce his pay or would be pay?

Backup
    I'd trade his sorry @$$ for a 7th Round pick, and a VHS copy of Dumb and Dumber!!!

Anybody got a bottle of "Turbo-Lax"??

Wallace is just straight...in it for himself...and that is as selfish as it gets!

I really think he's on his high, freaking horse, and I don't think he will come down
    for awhile!!!

He and his agent cant be this freaking stupid! They knew that the Steelers don't
    play Hold-Out games, and Wally held out knowning this $hit!!

I hope Haley stomps a mud-hole thru his freaking @$$ when he runs the freaking wrong
    route, or drops a pass!!! It will be epic!!

JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg